Why does the Lumia 630 not have Glance Screen Feature?

julesonlinegoa

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It is very strange that The Lumia 630 and the Lumia 920 both have IPS LCD screens. The Lumia 920 has the Glance Screen feature, whereas the Lumia 630 doesn't. What is the reason for that?

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Lets say in a simple way. The 630's screen type doesn't support glance. IPS LCD /amoled are types of screens, doesn't mean every screen has the same features.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The screen memory issue is with the OLED equipped 73x and 930/Icon I believe, due to cost.

Now, IPS LCD is a type of display, correct, but many devices have it, and some don't have Glance, so just because the tech might be the same doesn't mean it's 100% on-par and can do everything the 920's higher-quality panel can do.

The following is not an official explanation, as officially, we don't have much else than "hardware reasons/limitations" so I will speculate.
- The 630's display may not be able to properly sustain the super-low-brightness/power level asked of it by Glance. The higher-quality ClearBlack LCDs of the 920 and other devices with Glance such as the 620 and 720 are higher quality than that in the 630. (although it is branded ClearBlack) Glance might have looked bad (by flickering, being too bright) or have been impractical (could have used too much power.)
- Lack of Proximity Sensor (as her3814 stated)
Glance relies on the proximity sensor to turn on and off. (know when its in a pocket, etc) Without it, you're left with either no Glance, or an always on mode, which would probably guzzle power like no tomorrow. I would balk at enabling that on my 920.

Shahroz Naeem

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
People normally say that it's an issue of the hardware. What I want to know is that the New Asha Series had the glance screen, even the lowest 230 did! Microsoft should allow the user to enable or disable the glance screen and make it available to all the Lumias. :angry: Even 730 doesn't have the glance screen, if I remember correctly.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
​someone should give an explanation on this ...
found this on the latest app update of Extras + Info

how does this have an effect on lumia 630 h/w limitation speculations !

wp_ss_20141017_0002.png

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People normally say that it's an issue of the hardware. What I want to know is that the New Asha Series had the glance screen, even the lowest 230 did! Microsoft should allow the user to enable or disable the glance screen and make it available to all the Lumias. :angry: Even 730 doesn't have the glance screen, if I remember correctly.

You make an interesting point by bringing up the Ashas. Maybe there's something like cheaper overall hardware allowing a better display, or something. I'll have to snoop around no that when I have the time.
MS/Nokia aren't miracle workers. They can't just make it work. The 730 doesn't have Glance for the same reason the 930 doesnt. Don't know how much more people would be willing to pay for Glance.

​someone should give an explanation on this ...
found this on the latest app update of Extras + Info

how does this have an effect on lumia 630 h/w limitation speculations !

View attachment 84942

that's just a random thing in the extras+info. that tells us nothing.
its just there. I dont know what to tell you.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
that's just a random thing in the extras+info. that tells us nothing.
its just there. I dont know what to tell you.

seriously ?? tells us nothing ....
it tells us whichever version of built in s/w is there inside the phone ....
varies in different models for eg in L630 it doesnt show the accessories agent version
so that means it tells us whichever version of built in s/w is there inside the phone ....

and i dont think Glance screen is a H/W limitation coz that IPS LCD screen can handle low levels (not extreme) with ease.
that gotta do the trick ...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
seriously ?? tells us nothing ....
it tells us whichever version of built in s/w is there inside the phone ....
varies in different models for eg in L630 it doesnt show the accessories agent version
so that means it tells us whichever version of built in s/w is there inside the phone ....

and i dont think Glance screen is a H/W limitation coz that IPS LCD screen can handle low levels (not extreme) with ease.
that gotta do the trick ...

yea, and what does that version number tell us?
I still think its a hardware limitation. I hear of 630's flickering on low brightness. and if it was just low, it'd eat even more power.
But regardless of display, my chief issue is the lack of a proximity sensor to govern Glance.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
yea, and what does that version number tell us?
I still think its a hardware limitation. I hear of 630's flickering on low brightness. and if it was just low, it'd eat even more power.
But regardless of display, my chief issue is the lack of a proximity sensor to govern Glance.

that version number tells us the version of the software modules installed in the phone system like message handler app handler etc ..
they are s/w modules

its true that screen flickers at low but thats when we goto less than 10%

proxy sensor is the crippling factor

glance screen could make work with the power button :)

like one press for glance screen and then touch on the sreen to show the lockscreen

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
that version number tells us the version of the software modules installed in the phone system like message handler app handler etc ..
they are s/w modules

its true that screen flickers at low but thats when we goto less than 10%

proxy sensor is the crippling factor

glance screen could make work with the power button :)

like one press for glance screen and then touch on the sreen to show the lockscreen

Sure, but without additional information, we don't know what differences there are.

So less than 10%, well I fear Glance would be going below that if my 920 is any benchmark.
If the power button were to be used to activate Glance, I think it would defeat the entire purpose of Glance, since the lockscreen shows the same info anyway and would slow down turning the phone on/unlocking the phone.
I know you may be bent on the feature itself, but I think at this point, the benefits of working on workarounds and trying to throw the feature out for the sake of checking the feature box isn't going to work too well.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Sure, but without additional information, we don't know what differences there are.

So less than 10%, well I fear Glance would be going below that if my 920 is any benchmark.
If the power button were to be used to activate Glance, I think it would defeat the entire purpose of Glance, since the lockscreen shows the same info anyway and would slow down turning the phone on/unlocking the phone.
I know you may be bent on the feature itself, but I think at this point, the benefits of working on workarounds and trying to throw the feature out for the sake of checking the feature box isn't going to work too well.

​very well said ! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos