Why don't I have offline GPS signal on my Lumia 640XL?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

No offline GPS signal in lumia 640XL

I am not able to get gps signal in my new lumia 640xl in offline mode, but gps is working online. I have downloaded maps and checked for here drive and maps updates. Pls help me.

Thanks.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: No offline GPS signal in lumia 640XL

Did you mean "airplane mode" instead? Regardless, your GPS should work even if your phone is in Airplane Mode.

Where did you try to launch your maps app - outdoors or indoors? If indoors, then your GPS (even if it is turned on) won't be able to effectively determine your location, especially if you were in a place where you can't see the sky. In situations like this, the phone would usually resort to IP Address location services through Wi-Fi or by cellular site triangulation. Hence, in Airplane Mode in a closed room, the phone won't be able to determine the location at all (no GPS even if it on, no Wi-Fi, no cellular signals).

You may create a Windows Central account to respond in this thread.

Dogec

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site

Guest described his problem with GPS very well.
It seems that many new Lumias have problem with non sensitive GPS.
I also have the same problem with Lumia 640 LTE. With internet switched off (both of, wi-fi and celular), mainly is not possible to start GPS with any map or tracking or navigation application. Each application shows "initializing GPS ..." endless. With internet switched on GPS mostly (not always !) starts.
But what if internet is not available ? GPS is useless.
Airplane mode is switched off, of course.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
I can agree with that.
Its hard to get a lock on GPS without network.
But then again getting a lock on GPS also depends on where you are eg: inside a building, out in the open, speed at which you are traveling, I guess.

Then another possibility of availability of GPS satellites in a particular area at a particular time.

Dogec

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site

My old Lumia 520 can start GPS offline and get fix for 3-5 sec almost everywhere except in a wood or mountains where takes about 15 - 30 sec. In opposite to, new Lumia 640 can't start offline almost anywhere. I tested both of phones in a hundreds of places under same conditions, with same mobile operator and the conclusion is: Lumia 640 has a very non sensitive GPS.
The real question is:
Is L640 poorly designed to work with internet only or many of them have a manufacturing problem - for example bad antena connection ?

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
wait a second guys..... 640 and 640xl NEED internet in order to get the gps/locations to work?!!!
WTF !? the whole point of here is to make localization possible OFFLINE!!
what is the point then ??!!!

i was gonna get a lumia 640 xl next month...but if this is TRUE...hell no !!! is this the case in both W8.0 and W10 ?! :unhappysweat:

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
1- IS there any solution of workaround ? is it a software problem ? hardware? is it the same on WP 8.1 and W10 ? might reboot the phone to default parameters if that helps !
2- is there a way to restart the GPS and wipe it or something ? are there any apps that can do this or recalibrate ? i tested hardware tests...and it SEEMS the GPS hardware is not faulty....
3- i tested a few compass apps that ask for me to enable LOCATION and when i do....the COMPASS works quite easily....so why does navigation not WORK ?
4- on android devices, "my location" can be determined by activating either wifi (via ip) or gps satellite. On lumia this option does not exist! so is my location being determined by wifi first or satellite ? or both ? can this be the cause of the trouble ??? on windows 10 does location work the same?
5- finally is MISCROSOFT aware of THIS HUGE problem with GPS ? it was enormous in FRANCE with lumia 535...and everywhere else i see gps has problems with 830,1020 and other LUMIA devices... many people did play the warranty, but phone came back as "being normal", so i don't want to bother

MICROSOFT update your firmware!!! how can you let millions of people like this ?!!!! this is driving me crazy...and very very very disappointed by LUMIA...coz the phone is great elsewhere...but this will be MY last lumia if problem persists

thanks for any input guys...but we can't shut up on this crap ! :angry:

EDIT: i tested a temporary fix proposed on the lumia 730 forum and the problem is SOFTWARE! "harware tests" app indicates souce of gps as cellular....i then have to activate airplane for the app to indicate source as satellite !!!!
any help would be appreciated

EDIT 2: i went to work and opened "harware tests" and this time it does not work!! gps stays at "initializing" no matter what! it worked perfectly at home many times! what the hell is this ?
also another problem is "harware tests" first page does put in GREEN "network available" !? i have a sim inserted and receive calls normally...so WTF ? is that supposed to be like that ? is this the reason gps test can't start ?!

please advise i am desperate here !

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99