Why I chose a Lumia 800

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a short hello while I'm still waiting to get my Lumia back.

Breaking the Lumia 800 Gorilla glass (And using a HTC one S as a temporary replacement till I get it back) tought me some things:

1) Why, oh why must I be so bloody clumsy.
2) While Android on a powerful phone is much faster and less laggy and the One S is a very good device (looks good, nice screen, good size), I am realizing that (and why) I like Windows Phone (& The Lumia 800) better than Android: It is, for me, a lot less complicated to use. I never have to spend a lot of time finding out where to find what. Fewer apps needed (example: No apps needed for browsing sites, on the One S, some forum members suggested some apps for some sites that didn't work well on browser). Lumia feels much better and more natural in my hand. Costumization? I'm just rsing that I don't costumize the very costumizable HTC. Working in IT 100%, tinkering with Unix, Windows and software during the day is enough, I don't want that during my free time. I want to use that device, not customize it to death.

Of course, WP has its disavantages (Audible!!! I'm talking to you!!!). I would like to have the possibility to connect the Lumia to my PC via USB cable and use it like a hardware drive (I did this with the one S to put some decent music to it - didn't want to use the HTC software for it because I find it so awful). I wonder if Microsoft is going to introduce this option in the future.

But still, but still. I miss the pictues of family & friends popping up on my tiles. I miss how comfortably I can hold my Lumia (got sensitive hand and elbow joints ... a good and comfortable grip is essential for me). I miss the smooth, comfortable internet surfing, lying down on my couch with nothing more than my phone in my hands, not worrying if a site isn't shown well (or gets stuck). I miss the zune music player (find it much easier to use than the music software on HTC). I miss Nokia music which offers me more variety when listening to music.

I want my Lumia back, dammit. :mad:

(The only phone I missed so much was my good old blue Nokia Xpress Music when I drowned it in coffee. Silly me. Went to the shop and replaced it with the pink version. :lol:)

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow - after two weeks with an Android device (HTC one S) I finally got my Lumia back. Boy, am I glad, and boy, do I know why I chose WP over Android. I actually did a little happy dance when I got the message my Lumia is ready to be picked up :p

Also, while replacing my screen, the slight creeking sound when pressing the volume buttons is gone.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I've also been a long time nokia fan, particularly with their hardware. The N97 mini was one of my favorites, it felt really comfortable in hand and was really functional the way I could transition to the qwerty keypad. When I lost it, I was well upset lol. The N900 was a solid replacement but it didn't feel as good to handle.

The Lumia 800 trumps the N97 mini in every way. I was skeptical about going to a full touch screen, but the Lumia (and OS keypad in general) was incredibly responsive and accurate I don't miss the hardware qwerty like I thought I would.

I'm also glad you got your Lumia back. It's such a solid and beautiful device, and the OS is fantastic

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm so glad I've got is back as well. I just hope Nokia will continue existing and making phones. I've always liked their hardware. I remember my first mobile phone - some big, blue Nokia (I can't remember which model). Reason why I chose it? It was blue and it felt great in my hand. :cool:

Sib85

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
wow, just wow after reading all of your comments here, it makes me feel much more worthy taking the leap from android to WP. my first and earliest nokia devices were the ever famous 3310 and also 8210. after that i switch sides to Sony Ericsson, x10 mini, X10i and WT19i. Currently i just sold my last 2 android devices, x10 n WT19i just for the sake of funding the lumia :p

now i can't wait for my lumia to arrive, hopefully the courier arrives in front of the door step tomorrow. i'm using nokia x1 as temporary phone for now, the only thing i can do with this phone besides the music player, radio and games is playing with the torchlight in the dark :lol:

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm so glad I've got is back as well. I just hope Nokia will continue existing and making phones. I've always liked their hardware. I remember my first mobile phone - some big, blue Nokia (I can't remember which model). Reason why I chose it? It was blue and it felt great in my hand. :cool:

I agree, it's a shame to hear about those employees who may be losing their jobs. It's a tough environment. It hurts seeing a company you've followed for so long hit tough times. Like a fallen giant. Hopefully their collaboration with Microsoft and the adoption of Windows phone will turn things around for them.

Seeing as you got that old Nokia in blue, did you get the cyan lumia 800? :D

wow, just wow after reading all of your comments here, it makes me feel much more worthy taking the leap from android to WP. my first and earliest nokia devices were the ever famous 3310 and also 8210. after that i switch sides to Sony Ericsson, x10 mini, X10i and WT19i. Currently i just sold my last 2 android devices, x10 n WT19i just for the sake of funding the lumia :p

now i can't wait for my lumia to arrive, hopefully the courier arrives in front of the door step tomorrow. i'm using nokia x1 as temporary phone for now, the only thing i can do with this phone besides the music player, radio and games is playing with the torchlight in the dark :lol:

lol I remember the 3310. That thing was a tank. Congrats on your lumia purchase. Hope you like it ;)

Sib85

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
thanks, i'm pretty sure i'm going to enjoy this phone and certainly won't change for a while :p

thing i regret is that it took me nearly half a year before decided to purchase it :D

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
It also took me a while to justify purchasing the phone, it was a lot of money. But seeing all the features and demoes on the nokia website, it was just too much to resist lol.

I'm glad I got it in the end. I can say it is the best mobile phone I have owned. It does everything I need it to do and also looks the part.

Sib85

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
finally!!!

my lumia arrived by this morning, greeted by the postman. i barely can contain my excitement when receiving the package! :D

So i ease myself, take few deep breaths before opening the box one by one as if i was making an unboxing review on youtube. At the first time turning on the device, i knew i'm making the perfect choice and never regretted my decision to dump android. everything went smooth as i scroll throughout the device and until right now i'm still trying to get used to.

it's superb, anyone who uses an android device before would understand the joy of scrolling + launching apps effortlessly, without any stutter or whatsoever. i kept playing with it until the battery dried out n charging it right now.

but the things that bothered me a bit is the heat generated, it's kinda warm compared to any other smartphone i ever get my hands on. and somehow i felt that the battery is draining too fast not until i turn on the battery saver.

i guess i'll lurk around more and read up few tips for this phone then while waiting for the battery to charge. honestly, lumia 800 is one **** of a device, i totally recommend anyone to try it ;)

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Have fun with your new phone, Sib85! :happy: Regarding heat: Depending on what I'm doing and the outside temperatures, my Lumia can get a little warm as well (I've never experienced any real hotness). Regarding battery life, make sure the latest firmware (1600.2489.8107.12072) is on your phone.

BTW, in the very first days, my Lumia battery also tended to die very quickly, that was because I couldn't take my hands off it :happy:

Sib85

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Have fun with your new phone, Sib85! :happy: Regarding heat: Depending on what I'm doing and the outside temperatures, my Lumia can get a little warm as well (I've never experienced any real hotness). Regarding battery life, make sure the latest firmware (1600.2489.8107.12072) is on your phone.

BTW, in the very first days, my Lumia battery also tended to die very quickly, that was because I couldn't take my hands off it :happy:

i see, though the firmware version is a bit different then yours there,(1600.2487.8107.12072). i assume its only some kind of region numbers, no?

and i agree that my lumia also drains battery quiet fast, and still lurking through the marketplace. in my country still the marketplace sucks, and still can't register my visa for purchase :mad:

anyways, i'll continue lurking around.... :D

Sib85

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure MS will add your country soon. They have damn near the whole planet covered right now as it is.

hope so, its much easier to purchase in android market where the only thing we need is visa/mastercard and ready to go. i don't understand why the **** M$ needs a valid address anyways? :confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo