Why I still use Windows Phone 6.5 even in the Age of Windows Phone 7.x

Catholic Tech Geek

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
On my blog, I recently wrote an article about some of the reasons why Windows Mobile 6.5 is still useful even with Windows Phone 7.x out. So with all of the news about Apollo coming soon, do you think that Windows Phone 7.x has enough features to go ahead and completely replace Windows Mobile 6.5 or is there a reason why you still use Windows Mobile 6.5? For me (even though I do use Windows Phone 7.5), it's games and customization.

If you could, please leave a comment with your thoughts in the comment box below the article (on my blog) as well.

link to article: Catholic Tech Geek: Why I still have Windows Phone 6.5 even in the age of Windows Phone 7(.x): Part 3

Update (6-28-2012): part 4 is up and can be found at Catholic Tech Geek: Why I still have Windows Phone 6.5 even in the age of Windows Phone 7(.x): Part 4

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
On my blog, I recently wrote an article about some of the reasons why Windows Mobile 6.5 is still useful even with Windows Phone 7.x out. So with all of the news about Apollo coming soon, do you think that Windows Phone 7.x has enough features to go ahead and completely replace Windows Mobile 6.5 or is there a reason why you still use Windows Mobile 6.5? For me (even though I do use Windows Phone 7.5), it's games and customization.

If you could, please leave a comment with your thoughts in the comment box below the article as well.

link to article: Catholic Tech Geek: Why I still have Windows Phone 6.5 even in the age of Windows Phone 7(.x): Part 3

well considering we dont even know what features the phones are getting yet , i cant really answer that question , we should continues to hear about the Features in the coming weeks/months.

honestly the 8 features they told us about in WP8 we alredy knew.... or where a must to share with the DEVs, as a consumer we still dont know about 80% of the ACTUAL features we are getting.

Including WP7.8 they only told us about the UI but that's not all we are getting...

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Your comments on why you use 6.5 is from a major power user point of view. That is not how 7 works. 7 is made to be a very fast and simple OS that keeps away from the complexities. Windows Phone is made for consumer devices. We have no idea of what 8 will bring from a file system access point.

There are some emulators, but commercial roms are illegal so that isn't really relevant. The app store is slowly getting more games and bigger players. We just got Final Fantasy ported from iOS.

I think 7 is mature and that with some changes in how you do things you will love it.

If you want the power capabilities you have now wait and see how WP8 is it try Android. Android would be the most similar to what you have now.

On the front of music and videos. You can use your own stuff just fine. Since we don't have removable storage I guess that doesn't matter but again, that is to keep things simple.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I would say the reason I would have stayed with WM 6.5 was simply due to the fact I had been a Windows user since the days of CE,2003,5,etc and hold a very large library of of software/games/apps for the devices I own still. I moved over to my first smart phone just prior to the introduction of WP7 with a TP2. About 6 months after I got my TP2, WP7 came out. It didn't then, and still doesn't run the actual apps I use for work, but, I have work arounds via the tiles and web versions from the publisher that I use instead of the actual app.

Will WP8 be any different than WP7? Nobody knows yet. Once the platform settles out and more developers begin to code for it, along with the other platforms that are coming at the same time, maybe.

CommonBlob

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The signs point to file access on WP8, but who knows. I am hoping for it, as that's one thing I loved about Android. One of the only things...

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
better notifications are coming too, although it hasnt been spoken of yet... i just know from someone who knows someone

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Why I use Windows Phone. Because its the best point black period.

Got a new Lumia 900 today cant get it out of my hands.

I don't care about the features I am all about the simplicity and usability. I recently discovered how to attach documents.. It made the experience a lot better.

A lot of features can make a phone really complicated.

Its like a network monitoring program having way too many features.. It makes it harder to learn the basics of the program. I prefer something that simple, easy to setup so I an continue with my day-to-day activities without having to worry about my phone.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I didn't really know much about Windows Mobile 6.5, but it actually sounds pretty cool and more feature-rich than WP 7.5. I only came into the Windows Phone thing this year in February.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I didn't really know much about Windows Mobile 6.5, but it actually sounds pretty cool and more feature-rich than WP 7.5. I only came into the Windows Phone thing this year in February.

Same here. I used Symbian and BlackBerry before WP 7.5. I never used any WinMo devices and never even played with any in a store.

greensea

May 29, 2012
Visit site
you should try android. if it weren't for wp i would go android. you can do pretty much whatever you like. it's like a mini computer. just played with an s3. the thing is fast. and that screen...only apple fans and their tunnel vision could live that lurid 3.5 inch screen :D

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you would be more happy with Android. It's a very open platform. You can do what the heck you want with it as long as you got the knowledge. But that's is its biggest positive and negative side for me.

I nowadays like a little more controled environment as I think it has much more quality to it (think iOS and WP).

Tired of Android and will never go back. But for power users it's awesome as long as you can deal with the negative sides of it. That is it's not as stable. Force closes you will see a lot. Generally much sluggier OS overall even with quad-cores (it's getting redicilious). It's starting to feel old and outdated too, as iOS. ICS brings some new but honestly I think its "Halo" theming is something that is made for techy teenagers.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm still rocking a WM6.5 device. I've been sitting on the fence waiting for the features I need to come to WP7. The main one for me is internet sharing. It looks like the Nokia devices are finally getting it this week.

Something that was only briefly touched on, and since often overlooked, during the WP8 presentation is a new syncing feature that appears to be more like ActiveSync. I think it's probably a fools erand to believe we'll see it come to 7.8, but I'm hoping against hope that it does.

I need a new phone, the screen on my eXpo is starting to delaminate and I doubt it's long for this world, so I'm going to have to suck it up and get a WP7 device and live with it's less than ideal communication between Outlook and the phone.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I still have a 6.5 device sitting around. I used it as my backup phone (incase something happened to my Trophy so I would have a phone right away). I never use it besides a game every once and a while.

Most of these these are games that are great with a stylus but, would suck trying to do with a finger. There is a lot of titles that are available for 6.1/6.5, no question but, if your looking for a brand new app, your not going to get it.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
New start screen might make the notification experience ALOT better. Especially with bigger tiles helps ALOT!

Without a Notification Cache it will be no different than what is available today. In fact it can be worse as your screen will be so filled with numbers and text as to become extremely distracting.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting read, Catholic.

Considering how hard MS is going for the professional users with their cross platform ecosytem, I am betting a good portion of needs and wants are coming.

I hope...

EleventhHour2139

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
If you are not dead set on using wp, as others suggested I would say android sounds very well suited for your needs. I read your blog post, and all of your needs can be met by android.

I have never used a windows mobile device, but I am also eagerly awaiting wp8. I admire the polish of 7.5 even without having used it, but in its current incarnation I agree with your assessment. It is quite short on functionality for my needs as well.

Have you considered iOS? I'm searching to combine the fluidity of wp with the capabilities of android, and iOS seems as though it may be a viable choice, with some tweaking of course.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

If you could, please leave a comment with your thoughts in the comment box below the article as well.

Read your post and I must say, I agree with your sentiments. A lot of replies here have suggested Android and I would agree if your only requirement is functionality. Android does everything you mentioned, but it has its limitations as well as WM6.5. The question becomes "am I ready to ditch years of experience with 6.5 to learn a new platform that doesn't improve on my demands"? Personally, my biggest requirement is network drive mapping and only WM does this right. Android's File Browser is very limited and SMB support is spotty at best. I am also waiting to see if WP8 is as functional as WM before I make my jump back in. Mango is indeed the sweetest UI out there but I need certain functionality.

xmind

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Glad someone brought this up as I was meaning to write a post about all the stuff I miss from WM6. Don't get me wrong, the speed of WP7 alone is all it takes to get me not to go back. I had WM for nearly 6 years and was a bit bitter about all the press the iPhone was getting when there wasn't one thing it could do that I could on WM....just the iPhone did it quicker.

Android is indeed extremely similar to WM. You look at the widgets, notifications, and the rest of the layout along with how open the system could be and they are indeed close matches.

My gaps list from WM to WP7 are as follows:
1. "side loading" - no such term back in the day because you just installed whatever app you found.....which would solve so many "deficiencies".

2. Internet sharing - phones were not locked down nearly as much as they are today so this one was easy to get around your carrier back in the day.

3. Mass storage - I hate apps managing my files. I'm perfectly capable of managing and transferring my own files thank you very much

4. HARDWARE BUTTONS! - This is one my biggest pet peeves that I blame Apple for the lack of buttons on today's phones. Capacitive touch screens are awesome with the responsiveness over the old school resistive touch screens, but it doesn't mean that should be the only method to navigate. I hate constantly swiping or moving my finger to type...give me a D-pad and a select-able jog dial like the old school HTC Tytn anyday. Hardware buttons will always be quicker than to go back to the home screen to select an app and less taxing while scrolling or playing tetris or the like.

It would be interesting to see what WM could do on new hardware (i.e. phones with processors 3-4 times faster than what they were running back in the day).

/end rant.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Glad someone brought this up as I was meaning to write a post about all the stuff I miss from WM6. Don't get me wrong, the speed of WP7 alone is all it takes to get me not to go back. I had WM for nearly 6 years and was a bit bitter about all the press the iPhone was getting when there wasn't one thing it could do that I could on WM....just the iPhone did it quicker.

Android is indeed extremely similar to WM. You look at the widgets, notifications, and the rest of the layout along with how open the system could be and they are indeed close matches.

My gaps list from WM to WP7 are as follows:
1. "side loading" - no such term back in the day because you just installed whatever app you found.....which would solve so many "deficiencies".

2. Internet sharing - phones were not locked down nearly as much as they are today so this one was easy to get around your carrier back in the day.

3. Mass storage - I hate apps managing my files. I'm perfectly capable of managing and transferring my own files thank you very much

4. HARDWARE BUTTONS! - This is one my biggest pet peeves that I blame Apple for the lack of buttons on today's phones. Capacitive touch screens are awesome with the responsiveness over the old school resistive touch screens, but it doesn't mean that should be the only method to navigate. I hate constantly swiping or moving my finger to type...give me a D-pad and a select-able jog dial like the old school HTC Tytn anyday. Hardware buttons will always be quicker than to go back to the home screen to select an app and less taxing while scrolling or playing tetris or the like.

It would be interesting to see what WM could do on new hardware (i.e. phones with processors 3-4 times faster than what they were running back in the day).

/end rant.
You have a way of waking up memories. The Hp iPaq 910 had more buttons than anything else I've ever seen. Besides the 4-way D-Pad, there were the soft buttons, a jog wheel, below the wheel there was an "ok" button, a voice commander button, camera button, messaging button, calendar button and of course, send and end buttons. You could navigate this thing without ever touching the screen. Which was a good thing since it was tiny. I've often wondered how WM could run on today's handsets considering the TP2 which was considered by most to be the best of breed and it only had a 524 meg processor and a "whopping" 288 megs of RAM. My LG Fathom was one of the first with the Snapdragon 1 gig CPU's but it was hampered by the resistive screen. Still, it blew away all others as far as speeds so the promise was there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss