Why is it that lower end phones are the last to get Firmware updates??

Aalok05

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I own a 520 . And I am quiet disgusted by the hierarchical pattern in which firmware updates are distributed. 520 will always be the last no matter what update it is . Is it always gonna be that way? Why can't there be equality ...or to be more wishful , why can't the hierarchy start from the bottom?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I can understand your frustration but think in this way. Lumia 920-925-1020 owners paid a high,premium price , when compared to lumia 520,and we all are lucky that we are getting new updates both by Nokia and Microsoft when compared to other low end android phones which never get an update to next version. Be patient,you will get it,others folks are also waiting,maybe in 2 weeks you will get the update.

Aalok05

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Actually its gud waiting for an update because 'waiting' , my friends , is an art :p And it makes us more excited and when finally the update rolls out to us .. the happiness is much more than others . Just a positive way of looking at it.

windoors

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
It is like God showering blessings on the pyramid of Giza, those few on the top get it first, those many at the bottom get it last! :grin:

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps there are technical reasons. The lower end phones have less memory and other features. That may require extra testing and revisions of the firmware.

But if it means that much, get a flagship phone :).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm betting that it's simply because someone has to be last. Ever tried managing a rollout of new software? I have - and I only did it on about 100 PCs. I started small. My PC was first. Yeah, I probably should have done my plant manager's PC first, right? No. Start small, and work your way up. Discover the biggest bugs in the smallest batch, and as you work your way up to larger numbers of PCs (phones in this case) you find fewer and fewer bugs, because you've worked them out in the smaller rollouts.

Since the 520/521 is the best selling phone, it only makes good sense to update it last.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm betting that it's simply because someone has to be last. Ever tried managing a rollout of new software? I have - and I only did it on about 100 PCs. I started small. My PC was first. Yeah, I probably should have done my plant manager's PC first, right? No. Start small, and work your way up. Discover the biggest bugs in the smallest batch, and as you work your way up to larger numbers of PCs (phones in this case) you find fewer and fewer bugs, because you've worked them out in the smaller rollouts.

Since the 520/521 is the best selling phone, it only makes good sense to update it last.

Never thought of it like that, good analogy. :D

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Reason why, reason why not. No reason at all. Who knows? When I got my first smartphone update I thought it was a big deal and wondered why it took so long. After a time I began to realize it was not a big deal and it comes or does not come when it comes or it does not come. I used regular (feature) phones for 10 years before I bought a smart phone. I don't remember ever getting an update (maybe I did and never noticed it) it all that time. Why after ten years does it suddenly become life threatening if my phone dosen't get a update. I guest its a product of what I call smartphonemania. Everyone now can't live without them. Funny we got along for millions of years without them. Do we all have to be that connected, or worst are we that worried that someone might be MORE connected that we are. I think I am going to step back a step and take a good look at what is happening. Maybe rethink if I really need the three smartphones, two tablets, 2 desktop computers and one laptop computer I own. I think maybe we have gotten caught up with things and that is the real reason we complain about slow updates. Lord help us in the future.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Just be happy you don't have a Lumia 810, we're screwed because T-Mobile won't be pushing out the "Black" firmware :angry:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You get what you paid for but, I would rather not be first.... many bugs, I remember one update that came down on a Nokia phone was bricking a few phones (forget what model it was)....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)