Why is OneDrive saving two identical files with different file names?

Sherri Hessick

May 30, 2015
Visit site
OneDrive has suddenly begun saving two identical files in my OneDrive folder with the only difference being the file name. For example, if I open a file Test.xlsx from my desktop PC (Sherri-I7) and save it, I will end up with file Test.xlsx AND and identical file Test-Sherri-I7.xlsx. If I do the same from my laptop, I will end up with a file named Test-Sherri-laptop.xlsx. The only difference between the Test.xlsx and the other files are their names. The size, date and time modified are identical. I can delete the extraneous files, but they always come back the next time I open and save the file. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

I am running Windows 7 Professional on my desktop PC and Windows 7 Home Premium on my laptop. Both devices are version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1).

It should be noted that I always wait for the file to upload to OneDrive before closing it and I make sure OneDrive is finished syncing before shutting down my computer.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure whats up, but that's what happens when OneDrive sees some kind of conflict.

e.g. editing the same file on two different offline PCs and having them both sync conflicting copies. OneDrive then takes both and renames it with the name of the PC that uploaded it.

Why it happens when there's no apparent conflict, maybe it was still uploading or something when it was edited. I dont know for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon