Why is the battery draining while my laptop is shut down in Windows 10?

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Battery draining while the laptops is shut down in Windows 10

I have a strange problem in my laptop. Yesterday I charged my laptop to 100% in the night and when I woke up in the morning the laptop was showing red light indicating the low battery. I wonder how the battery drained so quickly overnight while the laptop is shut down?! And this is not the first time its happening, I am facing this problem after I upgraded to Windows 10. Is there any solution to this or is anyone else facing a similar problem ?

Srikiran

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Battery draining while the laptops is shut down in Windows 10

I'm facing a similar issue too. I have Dell Inspiron 7537. I had not had these issues when I was on windows 8/8.1. I thought it might be due to the upgrade so did a clean install of the windows 10 after formatting the primary drive. Even then the issue persists. By shutdown I mean shutting down from the power options in the start menu. Closign the lid or pressing the power button puts it to sleep.

Please share if you are having similar issues. A solution is better. Thanks in advance.

Pratik Patra1

May 11, 2015
Visit site

I'm not sure of it, but it could be related to fast boot. Try and see if fast boot is enabled and then disable it. It could work.

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

Thanks Pratik, Fast boot is enabled..I am disabling it and then will see if the draining issue happens again or not. Will update here.

Srikiran

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

Thanks a lot Pratik. Got to try that today. It worked. It is weird that such a functionality exists but is almost useless to some of us.

Anyway, thanks again. :angel:

Pratik Patra1

May 11, 2015
Visit site

Actually FastBoot keeps your hard disk on hibernate mode. So, it drains your battery even when it's not on. And always welcome. :)

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

I see the problem has resolved now. It was the fast boot that was draining the battery. Thanks again Pratik. But is the fast boot enabled by default in Windows 10 only? Because I have not had any issue like this in Windows 8.1

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Actually FastBoot keeps your hard disk on hibernate mode. So, it drains your battery even when it's not on. And always welcome. :)

No. Fastboot does store memory to disk like hibernate but the PC is off when off. So no chance of battery drain. Hibernate is totally off too. Only sleep powers ram and low power CPU.

RK928

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site

Same here, Lenovo T530 with Samsung EVO 850 Pro SSD (512GB) and 16 GB RAM. I have to shut down the computer or the battery will drain while the laptop is asleep. Not so much of a problem because of the fast boot times of the SSD, but still...

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like your computer is awake all night. Try checking your system event log (eventvwr.exe, Windows Logs .. System) for events from Power-Troubleshooter showing that the system has woken up at night. If so you need to track down the devices or events that are waking up the computer.

M

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Same here, Lenovo T530 with Samsung EVO 850 Pro SSD (512GB) and 16 GB RAM. I have to shut down the computer or the battery will drain while the laptop is asleep. Not so much of a problem because of the fast boot times of the SSD, but still...

Well asleep is on and will drain.

Off is off and won't. Unless a battery in old and then they self discharge quickly.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Note the more RAM, the higher the discharge rate too when sleeping...

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

But my my laptop's battery drains while its shutdown! And this is happening only after upgrading to Windows 10 and my laptop is only 8months old and it has i3 processor and 4GB RAM

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Check for a Bios update. Maybe it is not really shutting off.

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

I have checked it. Bios is updated and all my drivers are updated, but the battery drain while shutdown issue has still not resolved. This is very frustrating. Is there any other solution? I think I will be rolling back to Windows 8.1 if nothing solves the problem.

AkArora

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site

I have checked it. Bios is updated and all my drivers are updated, but the battery drain while shutdown issue has still not resolved. This is very frustrating. Is there any other solution? I think I will be rolling back to Windows 8.1 if nothing solves the problem.

Maybe you can try removing the battery after shut down and see if it still drains. An external chance might be that your battery has gone bad and is not able to withhold charge.

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site

But I'm discovering this problem just after I upgraded to Windows 10, nothing has happened like that before. Also, my laptop is pretty new, its only 8months old. And sometimes, my laptop went to sleep mode and never wakes up until I remove the battery and put it back and then turn it on. My laptop has been acting quite weird after I upgraded to Windows 10.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

But my my laptop's battery drains while its shutdown! And this is happening only after upgrading to Windows 10 and my laptop is only 8months old and it has i3 processor and 4GB RAM

Not being rude, but what do you mean by "shut down"? Exactly how are you switching it off? When you start it up, does Windows come back within a couple of seconds? Or do you see the OS starting up (the blue window symbol for perhaps 15 seconds)?

If you get back to the desktop (or the Start screen) within a couple of seconds of switching it on, then you are NOT shutting it down, you are putting it into Sleep. And all sorts of stuff happens in Sleep mode that can drain the battery. If you genuinely are shutting it right off, so you can see the BIOS and OS loading when you switch it on, then that does suggest something wrong with your battery or hardware. I don't think W10 can be responsible, because it isn't running (not even loaded) when the computer is fully shut down.

Tasha Jaiswal

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I know the difference between shut down and sleep! I shut it down by clicking on start button, then power and then on Shut Down. And when I turn it back on I see the bios screen, and the windows logo for atleast 8-10 secs! And the battery drain while shutdown is happening just after I upgraded to Windows 10. So I suppose its something with the OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion