Why is the battery draining while my laptop is shut down in Windows 10?

7537_user_raimonds

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem on a Dell 7537, the battery is holding solid 5 hrs of work, when I shut it down with regular -> Start -> rclick -> shutdown it seems like it's shutting down but in the morning I try to turn it on -> it cannot because it doesn't have enough power even for that.
For me W10 has been a disaster, graphics don't work as expected, this shutdown problem makes my laptop almost unusable. And the worst is that I am afraid that if I try to go back to W8.1 it will break the OS altogether and render my laptop unusable. I will try to roll back today and sure as hell will stay away from W10 for the rest of this lappy's lifetime.

Hello, I have the same laptop and facing same problem, I have looked around and can't find a solution for the power issue. I think going back to win 8 will be the right choice. But my question is. Do you have Intel Daul band n 7260 nic card on your dell 7537? I ask because the card doesn't work for me. Bought this laptop with win 8 and everything was working until updated to win 8.1, 10. Tried every driver but no success, my tp -link 150 mbps usb stick is better in every aspect. I 'am curious if there is some lucky one who don't have this issue with network card.

Srikiran

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I was able to fix the issue permanently. After trying a lot of suggestions posted here and other sites which gave respite just temporarily, I found one solution that fixed this for good. The issue was with Intel Management Engine (IME). With installation of Windows 10, IME 11.X gets installed being the latest software. But that has some issues which was draining the battery. I downgraded that to the latest version in 9.X series. That fixed the issue. No awkward battery drains and the battery life is back to what it used to be.

I would recommend you guys try this first before disabling fast boot and other settings. Hope this works out for you guys too.

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I posted this yesterday but had problems posting. It finally did post but had a double post in the same post if that makes sense. Tried to edit it but deleted it instead by accident. Anyway here is what I had posted that might help you guys out.

There is a post a tomsguide.com, search for "Laptop Battery Drains to 0% while Powered Off (Shutdown)" and you will find it. Basically the reason windows 10 doesn't completely shut down and drains battery while shut down or hibernated is because of a problem with the 11.x.x.x version of the Intel Management Engine Interface. If you downgrade to 9.x.x.x it will fix it completely. 10.x.x.x might fix it as well but do not know. My Lenovo Y50 did the same exact thing, after a day or 2 the battery would be completely drained while shut down or hibernated. This cured mine and it drains none while shut down or hibernated.

It's been a week since I did this. It has completely corrected my problem. Battery is back to normal! Thanks!!! BTW, I notice no difference in computer performance.

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Since I did this it has 100% corrected my battery drain problem...however I now get an occasional BSOD that has the "KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR. I never received this error until I corrected my battery drain issue. I'm going to update my file back to the version 11 and see if my BSOD error goes away.

Sergiu Baiatu

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I saw your post just now. The 7260 card is not working at all, never did, I cannot connect an ethernet cable to my laptop. The only way to connect it to internet is through wifi. As far as I could find it is not even mounted because no software recognises it. This is my first and surely last Dell laptop.

aditya thota

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I have a strange problem in my Dell laptop. Yesterday I charged my laptop to 100% in the night and when I woke up in the morning the laptop was showing red light indicating the low battery. I wonder how the battery drained so quickly overnight while the laptop is shut down?! And this is not the first time its happening, I am facing this problem after I upgraded to Windows 10. Is there any solution to this or is anyone else facing a similar problem ?

aditya thota

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Hai,
I am getting same problem on my dell laptop if you got any resolution procedure please send me.

It was a new laptop, just three months back i purchased it . with other OS its working fine but i am getting problem with the windows 10. I charged my laptop to 100% in the night and when I woke up in the morning the laptop was showing red light indicating the low battery. I wonder how the battery drained so quickly overnight while the laptop is shut down?! And this is not the first time its happening, I am facing this problem after I upgraded to Windows 10. Is there any solution to this. It is not my battery fault it is only problem i am getting windows 10.

aditya thota

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: Battery draining while the laptops is shut down in Windows 10

Hai,
I am also getting same problem on my dell laptop if you got any resolution procedure please send me.

It was a new laptop, just three months back i purchased it . with other OS its working fine but i am getting problem with the windows 10. I charged my laptop to 100% in the night and when I woke up in the morning the laptop was showing red light indicating the low battery. I wonder how the battery drained so quickly overnight while the laptop is shut down?! And this is not the first time its happening, I am facing this problem after I upgraded to Windows 10. Is there any solution to this. It is not my battery fault it is only problem i am getting windows 10.

aditya thota

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Hai,
I am also getting same problem on my dell laptop if you got any resolution procedure please send me.

Srikiran

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
The issue was with Intel Management Engine (IME). With installation of Windows 10, IME 11.X gets installed being the latest software. But that has some issues which was draining the battery. I downgraded that to the latest version in 9.X series. That fixed the issue. No awkward battery drains and the battery life is back to what it used to be.

This need not be issue for you. I might be due to some other incompatible driver too. If you are not sure which driver is causing issue, use the latest ones before the launch of Windows 10.

isaa66

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
Hello everybody. I just registered just to let you know that I'm facing this same problem. I thought my battery was useless but first wanted to check any internet forum and I'm glad found this one. My battery looses completely the charge just with 12 hours shut down. My laptop is an Asus X550L and this is happening since my transition to Widows 10. Can anyone explain how to change the fast boot thing? Thank you in advance!!!

vinay vicky

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
ya bro i am facing the same problem too
my lap battery is draining every night even though i shut it down
i am facing this problem from when i updated to windows 10

Martin Langsholt

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Exactly the same problem with my Dell. Battery drains overnight with fast boot turned off. Got so fed up with windows 10 that I formatted the drive and installed Linux. Now the problem has gone, so this is clearly a windows 10 only related bug.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99