Why is Windows 10 causing my laptop to freeze upon closing?

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday evening on my new laptop, which, according to the tests I ran prior, is fully Windows 10 compatible. Nevertheless, just since downloading Windows 10, when I fold down the laptop's screen to close it, it freezes. I open it to a black frozen screen that is unresponsive whether I tap the touchscreen, keys and/or power button. Therefore, since Windows 10, I have to reboot my laptop every time I open it in order to use it, which is an inconvenience that nobody should have to suffer. The laptop never had so much as the slightest glitch before Windows 10, and I want Microsoft to fix this.

Why is Windows 10 causing my laptop to freeze upon closing? What is the fix?

Chris Walker10

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same problem. Never had it before. Used to close lid - laptop in sleep mode - open lid - unlock and resume work. Simple.
NOT SO SINCE WINDOWS 10. I have to force power off as laptop completely unresponsive. Unacceptable.

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone gotten a fix to this yet?

I also want to note that my laptop just froze up without closing it, just by leaving it open and letting it time itself out. I had to reboot as a result.

This is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
It turns out not to be just with HP Pavilions. Apparently, HP Envy are having similar problems just since Windows 10. And I'm not sure if the problem is happening with still other computers.There has been no resolution yet from Windows or HP that I know of. But there are at least two threads about the same issue on the HP support forum.

TechnoReact

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I think I have a solution that worked for me.
Steps-
1) Remove all devices connected to your lappie
2)Long Press the power button to turn off your lappie
3)remove battery and charger if connected
4)Press power button for 20 sec to remove all electrostatic charges
5) Putt battery, Connect Charger and turn on normally

If this solution worked for you, let me know.

TechnoReact

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Steps-
2)Press the power button to turn off your lappie

TechnoReact

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone gotten a fix to this yet?

I also want to note that my laptop just froze up without closing it, just by leaving it open and letting it time itself out. I had to reboot as a result.

This is ridiculous.

Steps-
2)Press the power button to turn off your lappie

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I'm not sure I want to remove the bottom of my laptop to remove the battery, because I don't know if it will void my warranty. Although, if that worked for you, I'm glad.

One person who responded to my thread on this problem in HP Support Forum said that HP sent them a message prior to Windows 10 saying that they should not download Windows 10 yet. If it's true, I think I can guess why, and I wish I had gotten the same message. Anyway, their solution was to opt back into Windows 8.1 and re-download Windows 10 in a few months after the bugs have been worked out. After re-downloading Windows 8.1, they claim to have no more issues. I may try that today.

TechnoReact

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I'm not sure I want to remove the bottom of my laptop to remove the battery, because I don't know if it will void my warranty. Although, if that worked for you, I'm glad.

One person who responded to my thread on this problem in HP Support Forum said that HP sent them a message prior to Windows 10 saying that they should not download Windows 10 yet. If it's true, I think I can guess why, and I wish I had gotten the same message. Anyway, their solution was to opt back into Windows 8.1 and re-download Windows 10 in a few months after the bugs have been worked out. After re-downloading Windows 8.1, they claim to have no more issues. I may try that today.

You mean to say that you have a laptop with non removable battery? If that's the case, this solutions may help others if not to you.

digitalluddite

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I did the battery removal thing, it fixed it briefly then soon reverted to the unresponsive black screen with sleep. Don't waste your time doing this, HP or Microsoft will need to come up with a fix. Pavillion 15 with I-7, hoping not to have to revert to Win 8

LazyBlues

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I have an HP Pavilion Laptop and I am also having the same problems with this since the Windows 10 update.

There are now several topics on the HP Forum about the same thing.

I've updated everything I can, drivers etc. and tried almost every trick posted but nothing works. Initially updating an Intel Graphics Driver solved the problem, but it soon reverted back to doing the same thing.

I am annoyed at having to a hard shut down, every time I want to shut down my PC, as this cannot be good for the laptop's internal components!

I've also found some posts on old forums, stating this was also a problem with HP laptops during Beta Testing for Windows 10, and that post was dated April 2014!

I am liking Windows 10 but this problem is just winding me up, and if HP / Windows cannot fix it I will revert back to Windows 8.1 again!

Going to contact HP Support tomorrow, and may I suggest if your laptop is still under warranty you do the same!

ladycsr

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I have an alienware 17 and the exact same thing is happening to me. I wish I can revert back to windows 7. I have to hard shutdown my computer ever time... this is beyond frustrating since there is nothing I can do about it.

I don't understand why Microsoft doesn't have a way to revert back to previous builds.. they just figure we have to put up with it.

For now I have the "when I close the lid" set to do "nothing". So when I close the lid, only the screen shuts down and after 15 minutes the hard drive goes to sleep... So at least I don't have to restart the computer every time but this is far from an ideal solution.

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
If you go into your settings, you should find a way to revert to Windows 8.1 for one month. I may eventually take that option. However, I'm going to call HP warranty division tomorrow and complain first.

Chris Walker10

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
If you go into your settings, you should find a way to revert to Windows 8.1 for one month. I may eventually take that option. However, I'm going to call HP warranty division tomorrow and complain first.
Please get back to us about how you get on. I can't believe this problem isn't being looked at and sorted as it is such a basic, but important, feature.

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
And how. Someone responded to one of my threads on this issue, saying that they researched the matter and found that it actually began in beta testing of Windows 10, a year ago. So apparently, the problem is worse than we thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786