Why is Windows 10 causing my laptop to freeze upon closing?

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
The problem was never solved by updates or by suggestions from Windows or HP support.

I went back to Windows 8.1 and that fixed the issue. So don't let anyone tell you that the problem is anything besides Windows 10.

Makes me wonder what Macintosh is up to nowadays.

Chris Walker10

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Reverted to Windows 8.1.
Problem solved. Not occurred in 5 days. Microsoft have failed to fix this simple and basic operational problem. Looking at Linux next as OS base. Microsoft have become complacent. Will not recommend to friends and family.

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft are anything but complacent. Expecting them to fix an admittedly very annoying but possibly very complex bug that affects a small number of users within five days is unrealistic. I'd expect it to be gone within a month or so, though.

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Running system refresh (deleting all apps, keeping only personal data) fixed this bug. So yes, it's a Windows 10 issue - and more than likely, something introduced during the updating process.

Punchlinern

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I have this problem too. ASUS Zenbook UX302LG.
It appeared after a clean Win10 install. ("Reset this PC" in the Recovery menu in Update & Security settings)
It worked perfectly fine when I'd just upgraded from Win8.1.

sokart

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron laptop. After hours of remote service from Dell, they sent me an engineer to change my motherboard (they said that probably is problem of the embedded graphic card). However, the problem is still there and I suspect that it is a driver issue in windows 10. Specifically, I suspect Intel HD Graphics Family.

The reason for that is because after days of searching online for solution, I found a command which indicates the software reason of freezing/holding the laptop before sleep or hibernate. This is the following (run this in CMD as Administrator):
powercfg /requests

I executed this command after every freezing incident and I got the same response:
PERFBOOST - [DRIVER] Legacy Kernel Caller

After that, by writing the following command I could solve the problem temporarily:
Powercfg -requestsoverride Driver "Legacy Kernel Caller" System

Is there someone who has solved this issue? It is quite annoying to have to save the state and shutdown the laptop every time.

Allanah Fuhre

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I have the identical problem with my alienware (dell) 17. I have 2 video drivers, my AMD radeon R9 M290X video does cause the problem. But if I switch to the onboard Intel (lower quality) driver I do not have the problem. Several people reported that reinstalling win10 without upgrading from Win 8.1 solved their problems, however, I did that as well and it made no difference. I don't know why Microsoft hasn't addressed this issue.

I have simply disabled all sleeping, hard disk turn off, etc. unless I close the cover. Then whenever I leave the computer I close the lid and it wakes up just fine.

Allanah

TTroll

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Lenovo Y40, the same issue after some update.

Seems like it's an issue of Radeon systems, i report AMD as well about it.

I will try to rollback AMD/Intel GP drivers to check it.

TTroll

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok, i solve this problem for my notebook, here is a list of what i do:

1. Install latest AMD driver (Catalyst 11.1 Crimson edition)
2. Install Intel Video driver downloaded from Lenovo support site (recommended by my notebook)
3. Uninstall all Intel software, except Video and Wifi/BT drivers (i think the key is Intel Management Engine software)
4. In device management, make sure i have oldest Intel Management Engine driver active (10.0.30.1054) - if you have newer one, use Uninstall - Delete the driver checkbox.

Now my notebook going sleep and wake up correctly.

Dunnville

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I have been having trouble for the past 6 weeks - since the day I downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Update.
My HP Laptop started to slow down, started to require the power button to be used to start the computer regularly (every time it went to sleep mode) and now it won't start at all. I have tried the power button thing several times - no luck. I now get the blue screen of death with:
Boot Device Not Found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk
Hard Disk (350)
F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit:.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

I am not as adept with computers as you all appear to be.

firerescuecapt

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue with my HP G62, but it wouldn't sleep with the lid closed even though I had it set to do so. It would overheat and the only way to get it to boot back up was to do a battery pull. The issue had to do with the Hybrid Shutdown. If you go into your power settings (Settings->System->Power & Sleep->Additional Power Settings (scroll down for that)->Choose what the power button does->Change settings that are currently unavailable and then at the bottom, uncheck "Turn on fast startups (recommended)" This fixed it for me, and now my computer goes to sleep when the lid is shut, and wakes up when I open it without freezing.

forutop

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem when closing my laptop and on start-up. Try following these instructions to disable ULPS (Ultra-Low-Power-State I believe). It's stop your amd graphics card from going into standby which is what causes the black screen.

Can't post links apparently but do a google search form EnableULPS and check the tomshardware page that explains it.

HiepPG

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I have similar issue - my HP Palilion freeze (instead of sleep) when power button is hit. And this one worked for me:
support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935#AbT1
Basically the solution is replacing Intel Management Engine driver version 11 with either version 9 or 10, and preventing Windows Update from updating that driver.

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem on my HP Pavilion laptop a few months ago (as I mentioned earlier in the thread) and the solution back then was to do a system refresh. But recently I had a hard drive problem and replaced it with an SSD. But the problem returned - despite the clean install of W10. Turning off Fast Startup seems to have done the trick this time (and, funnily enough, startup seems to be faster - must be an SSD thing).

EDIT: Unfortunately not - it's just happened again.

Last edited:

vansen

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday evening on my new laptop, which, according to the tests I ran prior, is fully Windows 10 compatible. Nevertheless, just since downloading Windows 10, when I fold down the laptop's screen to close it, it freezes. I open it to a black frozen screen that is unresponsive whether I tap the touchscreen, keys and/or power button. Therefore, since Windows 10, I have to reboot my laptop every time I open it in order to use it, which is an inconvenience that nobody should have to suffer. The laptop never had so much as the slightest glitch before Windows 10, and I want Microsoft to fix this.

Why is Windows 10 causing my laptop to freeze upon closing? What is the fix?

I solved the problem on my Asus by avoiding "sleep" mode and opting for "hibernate" instead. You do this by clicking the battery icon on the bottom right of the display, then selecting the 'advanced power options'. Then go through the options on the left menu, such as, "what to do when the lid closes", etc... select 'hibernate' for all options where 'sleep' is selected.

Sleep mode is the culprit and Microsoft knows this without yet issuing a fix. A consequential benefit of 'hibernating' vs. 'sleep', is that battery consumption is significantly reduced and therefore improved due from the fact that automatic updates from Microsoft cease, as they take place in 'sleep'.

Please note, the above instructions are from memory and not having a laptop in front of me.

Vansen
Passport

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Sleep, hibernate, fast startup, no fast startup ... it makes no difference. The computer goes to sleep or hibernates - but then the fan stays on, the computer keeps producing heat, the power button stays lighted, and the computer won't start up again when you press it. This happened with a clean install of the latest W10 build on a brand-new SanDisk Ultra II 960 GB SSD. It also happened with the RTM of W10 last July. Seems to me something isn't receiving the instruction to shut down, and that's causing the system to hang.

Param Vir

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I think I have a solution!
I had the same problem with my ASUS X550L. I was going through all the replies and comments that this post got and I found a person who wrote that someone changed his sleep settings. Well I tried it too.... and it worked!

1)Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar of windows.
2)Click on Power Options.
3)Click on the change plan settings of the plan that is currently active.
4)Here you will find "Change Advanced Power Settings".
5)Click on that.
6)Here you will find an option that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable. Click on it.
7)Scroll down to "Power Buttons & Lid" and expand it.
8)Expand all sub-tabs(i.e - Lid close action, Power Button action, Sleep button action)
9)Switch all options to sleep mode.(Ignore step 9 If all of them are already switched to Sleep)
10)Click Apply.

This worked for me!!:smile::smile:

minhthongbio

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
This happened to my Thinkpad W530 for some days.

In my search, this due to the conflict between Intel integrated graphic and external nVIDIA chip.

I solved the issue by those step:

Get in the BIOS (F1 after restart)
Go to Config section
Select Display
At 1st option, choose NVIDIA optimus
At 2nd option, choose Enable
Save and Exit..

After restart, 2 min later, computer will automatically download compatible drivers and set it up.

Done, now I can close the lid of laptop with "Do nothing" option. And it worked well plenty of time, I tested.

Hope this help

P/s,
I also have Window 10 installed on Thinkpad X220, but it do not have this issue, possibly because of running on integrated Intel graphic only.!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abbatyya