Why is Windows 10 mobile so bad?

mcvmcv

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Why is Windows 10 mobile so bad? It is so unreliable. Used Windows mobile for around a year, and I'm sure it's going to be my last.

Had Windows 8 on my Lumia for around six months, it seemed fine. Updated to 10 once it came out of beta. I avoided the beta versions as I didn't want the problems, I have better things to do with my time. It still looks like it's in beta.

The bugs pick the worst possible time to appear, and Microsoft just don't seem to care. Even the Feedback app is bad. I've been trying to give it time to get it's act together but it gets worse.

I use the phone for calls, texts, emails, calendar, music, skype, weather, notes, and it's all become a bad experience. Cannot believe Microsoft are trying to pass this off as a mobile platform.

Calls, the dialler is badly designed, bad layout for common actions, dial-pad is slow .
Texts, how to I display the number I'm texting?
Emails, cannot reply. Zoom sometimes just blurs screen. App fails to open, needing a restart.
Calendar, Some new items disappear if I lose a data connection, without warning.
Music, Mix Radio is gone.
Skype, Keeps ringing once call answered.
Weather, the Live Tile just does what it feels like.

Fed up with it all.
The quality of some software is terrible. Why bother. Is it that bad a company to work for?
Windows Mobile is not going to be around for long.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Why is Windows 10 mobile so bad? It is so unreliable. Used Windows mobile for around a year, and I'm sure it's going to be my last.

Had Windows 8 on my Lumia for around six months, it seemed fine. Updated to 10 once it came out of beta. I avoided the beta versions as I didn't want the problems, I have better things to do with my time. It still looks like it's in beta.

The bugs pick the worst possible time to appear, and Microsoft just don't seem to care. Even the Feedback app is bad. I've been trying to give it time to get it's act together but it gets worse.

I use the phone for calls, texts, emails, calendar, music, skype, weather, notes, and it's all become a bad experience. Cannot believe Microsoft are trying to pass this off as a mobile platform.

Calls, the dialler is badly designed, bad layout for common actions, dial-pad is slow .
Emails, cannot reply. Zoom sometimes just blurs screen. App fails to open, needing a restart.
Calendar, Some new items disappear if I lose a data connection, without warning.

Fed up with it all.
The quality of some software is terrible. Why bother. Is it that bad a company to work for?

Try a hard reset

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Fed up with it all.

that's my summary of w10 as a whole, not only on mobile, it just isn't the same

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Did you do a factory reset after the update to 10? Otherwise just roll back to 8.1, it solved many problems on my mom's 640 XL (sadly not all).

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
There seem to be more issues on non-native devices. Those are devices that are originally 8.1 and moved over to windows 10. MS will keep updating the software and such but I think they are more focused on their new 950/xl devices and their new OEM partner devices. And the way they are killing their phone platform on purpose, they don't mind taking their sweet time with the non-native unit issues.

Make sure you're also on the latest production preview. If you go to Redstone well... you don't go onto a roller coaster not expecting a roller coaster ride.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Fed up with it all.

First and foremost which Lumia do you have?

1. You can swipe between the three pivot views, depending on your phone the dial pad may appear slow and also it looks like you have done a restore after installing WM10- a WP8 restore on WM10 has been known to cause issues. Why? we can only speculate as pretty much everyone's experience has been different and will be so. Not everyone uses their phone the same way, for instance what you may consider as light usage may be deemed as moderate usage by some. Furthermore not everyone has the exact combination of apps installed.
  2. The numbers have always been displayed at the top, if it's a saved contact then the name will appear at the top.
  3. Update the outlook app
  4. You appear to have sync issues as entries should not disappear when internet connection is gone.
  5. MixRadio was killed of by Line - not an O/S issue.
  6. Try Reinstalling the app
  7. Hard rest and do not restore, or alternative you can use the many free weather apps such as 4castr.

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
There seem to be more issues on non-native devices. Those are devices that are originally 8.1 and moved over to windows 10. MS will keep updating the software and such but I think they are more focused on their new 950/xl devices and their new OEM partner devices. And the way they are killing their phone platform on purpose, they don't mind taking their sweet time with the non-native unit issues.

Make sure you're also on the latest production preview. If you go to Redstone well... you don't go onto a roller coaster not expecting a roller coaster ride.

Well I think many devices for whatever reason, native or not, just don't take kindly to running W10M, not sure why this is other than pinning it on a poorly written/implemented OS, too many “same/similar” devices having a wide range of problems, or not.

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyone's answer is "factory reset." What a terrible response.

Any OS that you have to factory rests after every update is an OS which is not ready to be deployed on a phone that initially retailed at $600.

No wonder WP is below 1%.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

Any OS that you have to factory rests after every update is an OS which is not ready to be deployed on a phone that initially retailed at $600.

While I agree with you that it's terrible, It's the only way to fix it. MS didn't manage to work out the "restore from backup" process from 8.1 devices. That's the sad truth. Seems to mess up a lot of data the OS depends on. Every time I have tried to restore it will just not run well afterwards. And the solution to the problem is to reset and install again without restoring from backup.

When someone complains about a bad experience after upgrading to Win10, we must provide the solution. Not just say; go buy an android because Windows 10 mobile is crap. That's not a productive response.

The phone that retailed at $600 was a piece of hardware. The price for the hardware was $600. The OS will be updated free of charge and get better and better over time.

vader42

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
There seem to be more issues on non-native devices.

I think this is the key. MS probably tests only on 950(xl) and other native w10m phones. My 950xl has been pretty bulletproof since the last update. The 3gb of memory helps I think as well. I actually like the fact that the phone behaves the same way as the desktop - but this could be just me. I feel sorry for people who are having a bad experience, when w10m works, it is a great experience.

Oh, also, use the production OS, not insider - although it is fun, there are bugs.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
As wroten before, only X5X serie seems running smooth with Threshold and Redston (except some annoying proximity and light sensors 950 recurring bug)

Only difference btwn X5X and others is a recent firmware upate.
Am I right?

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
No business or app developer cares about 0.7% of users. They focus on the 99% which is appropriate for their business model and responsibility to their shareholders. That's the truth, like it or not.

mstabes

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't say Win10M is bad. I've used it since the first pre-release and it's definitely got a whole lot better with time. And it definitely seems to run better on my 950XL than it does on a 1520. But you still "expect" something weird to happen (at least I do :) ) - like the screen staying black for 20 seconds, or an app just shutting down for no reason. Which brings me to the real reason I stopped using my 950XL a month ago and reverted to my Galaxy Note 4. The choice of apps (well, the apps I use) is so thin on Win Mobile, and the quality of the available apps also leaves a lot to be desired (but that does seem to be changing for the better, thankfully).
I can forgive the OS its little eccentricities, but I can't see myself returning to Win Mobile until the app store gets its house in order.

anon(9573638)

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

Not to talk down on Android but i have had similar experiences on Android where only a Hard Reset would fix things. So it's not like this thing is W10M exclusive.

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not to talk down on Android but i have had similar experiences on Android where only a Hard Reset would fix things. So it's not like this thing is W10M exclusive.

Sure. I'm not saying that other OS's don't have to ever factory reset because of bugs/problems. There is no flawless OS.

I am saying with every single update to W10 Mobile things went wrong with my ATT 950, and the answer was "Factory Reset."

That takes a lot of time. You have to re-download apps, music, emails, texts, etc. And you essentially have to do that every 1-2 months.

I factory reset my ATT Lumia 950 three times since I bought it in November. I was having problems 2 weeks ago with battery drain, and Lumia support said "Factory reset again." For the fourth time. That is 4 times in 6 months. That is completely unacceptable for a "flagship phone."

One can say "lol go to lagdroid" or "it'll get better" until they are blue in the face, but it is no wonder that people are leaving. Simply look at the Lumia 950 sub-forum on this site. It is almost exclusively people having problems and not enjoying their devices. We are essentially beta testers, yet some of us were duped into buying new phones that are unstable. I shouldn't have to wait a year for my new phone to work.

There came a point when I said to myself "I shouldn't have to be doing this on a smart phone." I didn't want to jump ship, but I was sick and tired of constant problems.

If anyone wants to stay with W10 Mobile, then great! Lots of people like being in the nitty-gritty, downloading test builds and searching forums to figure out why the phone isn't working. I don't think that's dumb or a waste of time. Buy the phone you want.

But that is not me. I came to Windows Phone back with the Lumia 900 because it was a breath of fresh air and ran like a dream. It is neither those things anymore. It was a cause of constant frustration.

Maybe in a year or 2 it will be where it should be. I will gladly come back then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss