Why isn't microsoft bringing all their ios apps to windows?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Microsoft has a number of beautiful apps for ios devices. Why aren't they bringing it to the windows store. They even created port tool for that. Is microsoft neglecting their own platform?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing that they are referring to all of these garage apps. Different teams work on those apps so that's the reason why. Some of those apps aren't even on Android.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's at least two reasons I believe.

1. Some MS Garage apps are done by individuals or small teams (MS employees) and are just published by Microsoft. They put the app on whatever platform they want and forcing every Garage app to have a W10M port isn't exactly a nice move.

2. Because Microsoft does not care. I'm sure the mobile teams are doing their best, but they don't get much support from higher up. Either way, its a hobby at best.

Jorge2912

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
There's at least two reasons I believe.

1. Some MS Garage apps are done by individuals or small teams (MS employees) and are just published by Microsoft. They put the app on whatever platform they want and forcing every Garage app to have a W10M port isn't exactly a nice move.

2. Because Microsoft does not care. I'm sure the mobile teams are doing their best, but they don't get much support from higher up. Either way, its a hobby at best.

i think they don't care windows phone platform , what we can expect if Mr. Satya Nadelya have a Iphone and not a lumia as his personal phone ,he no suffer the problem that all who have windows phone have to deal everyday and even the lack of apps for windows phone and windows mobile. a leader must trust on his company and the products made by them .if have an Iphone is a sign of no trust on its products manufactured by themselves.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
i think they don't care windows phone platform , what we can expect if Mr. Satya Nadelya have a Iphone and not a lumia as his personal phone ,he no suffer the problem that all who have windows phone have to deal everyday and even the lack of apps for windows phone and windows mobile. a leader must trust on his company and the products made by them .if have an Iphone is a sign of no trust on its products manufactured by themselves.
I thought he used a 950xl as his personal device, and that his iPhone is used for comparisons and demonstrations?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, there was some hubbub a couple/few years ago about how a top Google exec whose name escapes me used a BlackBerry.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, there was some hubbub a couple/few years ago about how a top Google exec whose name escapes me used a BlackBerry.

It was Eric Schmidt. He reportedly was seen with an iPhone recently and several years ago with a BlackBerry.

FWIW, I doubt that someone at that level using a different platform is doing it to see what the competition is offering. That would be more in the realm of those directly involved with the specific department. For example, it would make more sense for Joe Belfiore (going retro here!) or Terry Myerson to do it than for Satya Nadella. If someone like Schmidt or Nadella is using another platform, I would venture a guess that they're using it because they like it better, it provides necessary functionality unavailable on their own platform, or maybe they used it before they were in that position and continued using it.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The garage apps in my opinion are those for testing out new ideas for apps, so they rather test them out on an os that has a lot of users and those that really like trying out new apps,

The MS platform has very few users and getting user data would be hard since the developers would have to see if the data stream has been affected by OS issues or something else

The iOS platform has a very limited set of devices and hence they can get a more controlled environment for testing new apps

Jorge2912

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Chintan Gohel
The garage apps in my opinion are those for testing out new ideas for apps, so they rather test them out on an os that has a lot of users and those that really like trying out new apps,

The MS platform has very few users and getting user data would be hard since the developers would have to see if the data stream has been affected by OS issues or something else

The iOS platform has a very limited set of devices and hence they can get a more controlled environment for testing new apps

Are you sure ?

I seen on the ios market and are more app made from Microsoft for IOS than for windows ,the applications for windows like twitter haven't the same functionality than for IOS and android , another example wacom bamboo paper for IOS is have more functions than for windows .

They no care windows or Microsoft or its consumers.

Another question, what is the finality of INSIDERS? Until now I read stupid ideas and no one saying what is wrong and what is failing.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure ?

I seen on the ios market and are more app made from Microsoft for IOS than for windows ,the applications for windows like twitter haven't the same functionality than for IOS and android , another example wacom bamboo paper for IOS is have more functions than for windows .

They no care windows or Microsoft or its consumers.

Another question, what is the finality of INSIDERS? Until now I read stupid ideas and no one saying what is wrong and what is failing.

twitter have to bring their features, MS can't control that

I didn't get your question about insiders - can you expound on that?

Jorge2912

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
it supposed that insiders can report problems and suggest ideas for improve the OS but i see that their contribution is less on report problems with versions of fast/ slow ring , i seen some no sense ideas on the comments on insiders section on windows 10 mobile insider version but just few reports problems on windows OS. if we want a better OS must report any problem .

returning to the main topic . Microsoft must think on add applications to windows and raise the figures of applications for its own platform and no have to buy an android phone because the apps that need due to my job or hobbies is not on windows UWP or WM10

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
it supposed that insiders can report problems and suggest ideas for improve the OS but i see that their contribution is less on report problems with versions of fast/ slow ring , i seen some no sense ideas on the comments on insiders section on windows 10 mobile insider version but just few reports problems on windows OS. if we want a better OS must report any problem .

returning to the main topic . Microsoft must think on add applications to windows and raise the figures of applications for its own platform and no have to buy an android phone because the apps that need due to my job or hobbies is not on windows UWP or WM10

the feedback is through feedback hub and not this forum or any other site. Feedback is usually upvotes, suggestions, problems reported and of course daily telemetry which is auto-generated

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Because Microsoft will rather bring their apps over to the iOS platform, then converting iOS apps to this pathetic windows mobile platform.Simple as that. Furthermore, even we have the iOS apps ported over, it doesn't mean we will have the same wonderful experiences like on the iPhones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss