Why isn't my phone connecting automatically to my home wifi?

PerhapsSamson

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
My phone isn't connecting automatically to my home Wifi

I'm using Lumia 620 with Windows Phone 8.1 (Denim). I've always been able to automatically connect to my home wifi network, however, since yesterday I've been unable to do so.

Once I turned on the Wifi, my home network is on the list of available networks; however, it doesn't connect automatically and when I tried to connect by manually typing the password, the message came up that "Your phone cannot connect to Wifi network (my home network)".

Checked forums and Windows Phone guide; tried to tap on the network (to hold down and delete) but no such option came up. Clicked on the Manage button below to delete/add my network again, but my home network was not on the list.

Managed to connect to the Wifi at a friend's house and did phone updates there, but nothing different seems to be going on.

Any ideas on how to remedy?

PerhapsSamson

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: My phone isn't connecting automatically to my home Wifi

Uhm, not exactly sure how to check the modem channel. Instructions, please?

PerhapsSamson

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

OK. Modem channel is 1 (only two other networks using that same channel). Security and cipher are WEP. No WPS support. Any other info you need?

PerhapsSamson

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site

Would changing it to WPA2 help with my situation? Right now everyone else's devices (including my laptop) can connect wirelessly to the internet EXCEPT for my Windows Phone so I'm really not sure if it's a modem/router problem or if it's a phone problem considering I can connect to Wifi hotspots in restaurants etc.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Do you have your modem/router channel set to "automatic" or to a static channel? I had mine set to "automatic" at one time, and every time the channel changed, my Lumia 920 would not connect. I changed my channel to a static setting of channel 6, since that one had the least overlapping channels. I'm using WPA2, and all 3 of my PCs, my Lumia 920 and my wireless printer connect just fine and stay connected.

The hotspots in restaurants aren't using any security at all, so there shouldn't be any issues connecting. However, it's not a great idea to use unsecured hotspots for anything sensitive, such as financial transactions.

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

Hello,
i guess the router is probably the problem. As long as you can connect to other routers the phone is all right. I also would take the advice of Laura serious. Upgrade to a new router with WPA2, dual band is also an advantage. At least check your router settings. I expect the new router will also have a better rf chipset so the range will be greater. I?m using a fritz box 7390 at home, i never had issues with my l1520.
regards

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I said modem but I mean router. Check the channel on which its on. Having it on a channel with devices that use that same channel will cause a connection issue. I found that mine was on a channel used by my cordless phone. Wifi was problematic until I changed the wifi channel to 3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb