Why isn't Onedrive integrated into Windows 10's file explorer itself?

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
why not integrate Onedrive into Windows 10's file explorer itself?

I understand the reason why onedrive is a standalone app on phones and pcs, because they can constantly update and improve the app.But the current onedrive app has enough features for regular use.And if they want they can always improve it with small minor updates even if it is integrate into the system's file explorer..So why don't they just integrate it into phone's and pc's file explorer itself instead of making it as a standalone app?.It will be more convenient to access all our files in one place instead of using two different apps.Giving great importance to ondrive by baking it into system's file explorer makes even more sense to MS's""Mobile-first cloud-first" strategy.I am not sure why they don't do that.are there any special reasons that you can think of why MS doesn't want to do that?

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: why not integrate Onedrive into Windows 10's file explorer itself?

That is a great idea, I loved having OneDrive accessible from the normal file manager when I test drove a Blackberry.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

One reason I can think of at the moment is that OneDrive and OneDrive for Business are still very different apps. There may be some technical obstacle in there.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

I think Onedrive is more common than onedrive for business is.So for the time being they can integrate just onedrive into the file explorer and the ondrive for business can be an app as it is now.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

I think Onedrive is more common than onedrive for business is.So for the time being they can integrate just onedrive into the file explorer and the ondrive for business can be an app as it is now.
If that's the way they're going that's a shame. I would have thought MS would put preference to the customers that actually pay for things - business.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

If that's the way they're going that's a shame. I would have thought MS would put preference to the customers that actually pay for things - business.

It's also possible that the OneDrive personal users are paying for Office 365 Home subscriptions. I pay $99/year for my Office 365 Home subscription.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

It's also possible that the OneDrive personal users are paying for Office 365 Home subscriptions. I pay $99/year for my Office 365 Home subscription.
Should've spoken to me - I'd have hooked you up for less than that :D I think it's only AUD 5/month retail.
I might look into that comparison - I may have found something MS doesn't screw Australia on.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

Didn't MS already confirm OndeDrive will be integrated with Windows 10, no need for separate app? At least for PCs.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Should've spoken to me - I'd have hooked you up for less than that :D I think it's only AUD 5/month retail.
I might look into that comparison - I may have found something MS doesn't screw Australia on.

I'm using Office 365 Home on 2 PCs, 1 Windows 8.1 tablet, 1 Android tablet, and 1 Android phone.

The apps I use most are OneDrive, OneNote, and Outlook.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

Didn't MS already confirm OndeDrive will be integrated with Windows 10, no need for separate app? At least for PCs.

yes but not directly integrated into the OS.It will be nice if onedrive is available as a proper drive along with other local drives on the pcs and phones like this>C:, D:, Onedrive: (displaying the available disk space etc)

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

That is a great idea, I loved having OneDrive accessible from the normal file manager when I test drove a Blackberry.

Only thing is that OneDrive for Business is not integrated with the File Manager. So we have to download the Android app from Amazon to get access to it. But for non-business users, it's pretty nice to have it integrated into the File Manager.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport

Wasim Wes Adetunji

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site

I understand the reason why onedrive is a standalone app on phones and pcs, because they can constantly update and improve the app.But the current onedrive app has enough features for regular use.And if they want they can always improve it with small minor updates even if it is integrate into the system's file explorer..So why don't they just integrate it into phone's and pc's file explorer itself instead of making it as a standalone app?.It will be more convenient to access all our files in one place instead of using two different apps.Giving great importance to ondrive by baking it into system's file explorer makes even more sense to MS's""Mobile-first cloud-first" strategy.I am not sure why they don't do that.are there any special reasons that you can think of why MS doesn't want to do that?

Because we out all our feedback on forums instead of sending it to Microsoft! Join http://reddit.com/r/ImprovingWindows where we discuss Windows, and then actually let Microsoft know how we feel!

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Antitrust issues? The eu went crazy because Ie was reinstalled on the system and did not give the user a "choice" of browsers to pick. The same can be said about one drive. Othe competing products exist and I think they are just covering their butts. Personally, it's windows created by Microsoft, if you don't like something that it comes with, install something else or don't use windows. It's not like their aren't other operating systems out there. (End rant)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I am honestly confused as to what you mean. OneDrive has been integrated into File Explorer for a couple years. Anything you can do in the app you can already do in File Explorer. Even external sharing works via right click - just calls up the intervening website to complete the share. The experience is different on phones for obvious reasons, including different UI real estate and lack of a bona fide file explorer. Nevertheless, anything you see in OneDrive on your phone can be seen in File Explorer on a desktop and vice versa and anything you change in one will change in the other. If something doesn't work in Windows 10, the answer this the same as always. It is a feature incomplete Technical Preview.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

One reason I can think of at the moment is that OneDrive and OneDrive for Business are still very different apps. There may be some technical obstacle in there.

OneDrive and OneDrive for Business are totally different things. To put it simply, OneDrive for Business is really still SharePoint with a clumsy wrapper added to it. They do not even share the same syncing engine. Other than the name, the two products have little in common. Leaving aside other interface differences, anyone who has used OneDrive for Business and seen their storage space disappear as it mirrors all of your contents twice on the machine (once to the visible location and once to a cache) can also tell you how inconvenient it can be.

Quite frankly, OneDrive is a robust service already integrated into the Windows OS (and File Explorer) and OneDrive for Business is a still half developed mess that sits on top. I can't even use it on some of my office laptops and tablets because modern machines with SSDs do not always have the space to simply waste on the appalling file management in OneDrive for Business.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h