Why when you create a contact does it make you sync it to an email account?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

This may fly in this face of popular opinion but I get so irritated by my WP. When I add a contact from some random person I have met and only have a phone number I do not want to sync it to an email account.
Whatever happened to your mobile device having its own phone book that you then populated with whatever information you want, be it from gmail/facebook/MS/ wherever?

Its just yet another way I find this OS a pain to use, is there any way around this or is it just MS saying YOU WILL USE OUR PRODUCT THIS WAY...? If so this is my last WP.

Oh, using a Lumia 1020.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think one day I will figure out what's wrong with assigning a contact to an account and having it automatically backup so that if my phone ever gets damaged or needs repair I can easily restore them from that account.

Not entirely sure what the issue is. If you're not planning on keeping the contact don't add it to your contacts. Simple.

I think most smartphones work like this these days. If you want a phone book don't own a smartphone.

Andy JWM

May 5, 2015
Visit site
My Bold 9900 did it fine. It also performed full back-ups for me, specified when and how by me, and had a proper phone book that linked all my accounts. Your answer of 'don't own a smartphone' is cheap. The OS should work properly and it doesn't.

Andy JWM

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Also, the contact is being kept. It just doesn't need to be linked to an online email account for no reason other than MS wanting it to. Its MS handling us with kiddy gloves. Again.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Also, the contact is being kept. It just doesn't need to be linked to an online email account for no reason other than MS wanting it to. Its MS handling us with kiddy gloves. Again.

If you're keeping the contact what's the issue? It gets backed up automatically to the account you specify.

The People Hub is the 'phone book'. It has all your accounts. If your phone gets damaged or you need to reset it what happens then when you have a contact on your phone? You back it up then I suppose? What's the difference?

So MS cares that your data doesn't get lost and all I hear are complaints about it. I don't get it.

Where did the Bold backup to? The PC? The cloud? What?

You haven't given me any reason for your complaint yet and provided a non answer in return.

What exactly is your issue assigning the contact to an account?

Andy JWM

May 5, 2015
Visit site
On BB os7 I had Blackberry Protect set up to backup my entire phone, over wi-fi once a month. All contacts, emails, SMS, pictures, videos etc. I can still access this data as I have a copy on the cloud and a copy saved locally.

My contacts were comprised of two email accounts, a facebook account and manual entries. If I created a new contact I could choose any account or simply no account, just a name and a phone number saved on the device. I could then later link that phone number to a facebook account or email address at my discretion.

Under WP there is no option to create a contact without creating it under a linked account.
Furthermore because my phone book is directly imported from my MS and Google accounts I have many contacts I do not want to see when I select the phone function.

I want the ability to link phone numbers and email addresses easily of course but I do not want it automatically done for me.

Has this clarified my issue?

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
What you could do is create a "dummy" account. What I mean is create an account but don't use the email or calendar and add these people in that account. And if you do not sync it I think they only stay on your phone. (not sure about this).
So then you have your "phone book" I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers