Why WP isn't as popular as it should be.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
WP7 social integration was copied from Android. Any TW or Sense Android has had this for like 1.5 years before WP7 was released. I didn't use it there, I don't use it here. Good apps are always superior.

Live Tiles = Badges in 90% of cases, Widgets in the other 10%.

WP7 still only has 1/3rd the Notification system of Android/iOS and even then it isn't really consistent even among stock apps (like no Toasts for eMails).

Personally, I think most WP7 device owners are light smartphone users (actually it's pretty obvious at least on the various forums by observing what they tend to not care about in threads addressing the gaps in the platform). As a heavy user (or was, until the HD7 became my daily driver), it's a frustrating time-wasting platform to use and it requires way too many compromises. This is even in comparison to iOS, which shares many of the same limitations and is arguably more locked down than WP7.

A lot of people are moving a lot of activities to their smart devices so they're going from being light users (who can get by with a feature phone, so WP7 is probably a good initial step for them) to heavy users who do a ton of tasks and communications (in different forms) on their devices. I think that's why Android has such a higher "first smartphone" adoption rate, and marketshare as a result.

The only thing refreshing about WP7 is the way the UI is put together, at least at the beginning until you realize the Live Tiles offer basically nothing new that a Badge or Widget couldn't offer and you have to scroll twice as much in applications to digest the same information as on other platforms.

Microsoft needs to do some real usability studies that involve more than them making assumptions or tracking the key presses and activities of fanbois who were ignorant enough to waste battery sending their information from the phone to their data centers (something I almost always turn off immediately when I get a new phone - irregardless of the platform).

I agree to an extent with the bold. I think there are different "heavy smartphone users" out there. There communication users, media users, tinkerers, and those that employ all of the above. I think for the communication base and even media (to an extent and that's due to lack of apps), it's more than satisfiable. You have skype, netflix, Twitter and Facebook (and messenger) integrated into the phone, Kindle for ereading, Youtube apps, a decent browser, quick camera to photo sharing transitions, and quick glance notifications. Yes there's room for more to cover the general basis but I don't think it's just "light users" that can fully enjoy WP

evangelistalinda

May 4, 2012
Visit site
happy.gif

One of the original launch partners of Microsoft?s Windows Phone operating system is calling a quits. LG said during its earnings call last week that the company has no plans to introduce any new Windows Phones and instead will focus its efforts

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

One of the original launch partners of Microsoft?s Windows Phone operating system is calling a quits. LG said during its earnings call last week that the company has no plans to introduce any new Windows Phones and instead will focus its efforts

Um, this has been discussed. They had a follow statement to this. Read the second paragraph: LG: No plans for new Windows Phone products - Neowin

Plus LG isn't that big of a loss. Their hardware isn't the greatest IMO.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

One of the original launch partners of Microsoft’s Windows Phone operating system is calling a quits. LG said during its earnings call last week that the company has no plans to introduce any new Windows Phones and instead will focus its efforts

LG doesn't make good phones period, so them walking away is a win-win as far as I'm concerned. I had an LG Revolution and it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned. Will never buy another LG product after that experience.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, LG is a good strategic partner for the low end market. They also make some of the best screens in the business. Their new Android phone coming out is a beast, too. They could never push the envelop like that on WP7.

Smaller players like LG are beneficial for any ecosystem because they act as disrupters and even though their products may not be first rate, they do innovate and push the competitors to up their game.

WP7 is missing a lot of that, and OEMs like LG simply don't see as much value in WP7 as opposed to Android because it doesn't sale well and Microsoft has shackled them.

iAdrian23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Even if most of you disagree with what I'm going to say IT IS TRUE and you know it.

The biggest dissapointment in WP7 is the lack of app support. Let's take for example my school. 1/10 have an iphone and 3/10 an Android. Whenever a new cool app such as Temple Run arrives on the AppStore, everyone will beg for someone's iPhone so they can play. It's pretty easy to find that WP doesn't have all hotest new apps and so the ones that might consider buying one are confused. Let's not forget not all phones are cheap. So for a $300 they'd better get an iPod where they can play all **** all day all night...

They just don't care. :mad:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank god for Nokia. Just read the article on the homepage. While some are complaining, it's coming to the market eventually so don't fret. Nokia is opening a lot of doors and gaining interest and that's only a good thing for the Os.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire