Will I need a full reinstall after RTM?

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
After testing Windows 10 Preview on my Surface as a Virtual Machine (never take risks with a prelease on a production / work machine!!) I must say I am very impressed. Stable, full of features, love the start menu... I am prepared to put my main desktop (not the Surface, an AMD A3620 based HP) to Windows 10 Preview.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but if I bite the bullet right now and update my desktop to Windows 10 Preview, will I need a full reinstall to the final release or will I just enter a code or will it just know that I already accepted my invite? I am a bit confused as the upgrade path from Preview to Release... thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
While we don't know the exact details, Gabe Aul has suggested that we will be able to update to RTM just like we've been doing for every other build.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I really hope so. I actually installed Win 10 because my computer's hard drive randomly bricked and I couldn't find my windows 7 disk anywhere. I still have my software key pasted on the side of my computer, so I'm hoping that's enough.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So after playing around with build 10134, I discovered that there's an option to turn off receiving Insider builds. I can't say with 100% certainty, but it would make sense that we would get the RTM code, then select that button to get updates when everyone else does.

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it seems like that is the only bit left unclear - everyone else on Windows 7 and Windows 8 are getting the "reserve your copy" message, something we don't get on the Preview. So hopefully it will be as easy as hitting the update button.
Though they have said they are going to continue the Insider Preview program after RTM.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
RTM, for all intents and purposes, is going to be another build as far as upgrading is concerned based on what Gab Aul has tweeted. Go for it bro, it's running like a champ on my Surface Pro 3. Connects fine to my job's VPN and the whole shebang.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
RTM, for all intents and purposes, is going to be another build as far as upgrading is concerned based on what Gab Aul has tweeted. Go for it bro, it's running like a champ on my Surface Pro 3. Connects fine to my job's VPN and the whole shebang.

I'd like to, really would like to put on my SP3. However, until someone can make Spartan / Edge block ads I am a bit reticent. So many ads today are massively intrusive, let alone annoying, that I simply cannot browse without at least a partial ad blocker... even RT and MetroUI IE had a way to block ads that I cannot find on the SP3 ... I even started a thread on this problem...

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
It would be great if MS gave us some definitive info on this.I was enjoying the preview myself,but was forced to reinstall 8.1 to make sure I could reserve my official copy.I did this after reading reports it could take weeks or months to get a copy if you don't reserve.I would like to try the next W10 build but am afraid of losing my w10 reservation.Maybe because I reserved,I'll get it now anyway,but I cant be sure o this

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb