Will Microsoft ditch WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying that iOS is the perfect interface for doing everything. I still find I do most of my computing on my desktop PC in Windows 8.1 because I do a lot of typing and virtual keyboards just suck on any platform for a variety of reasons. However for pure consumption behavior - web browsing, video streaming, checking the weather - Android or iOS just is better.

How can browsing the web be better on iOS or Android compared to Windows? It's the same website. Same thing with video. Does it matter what OS you're using to stream Netflix? Same with weather. Nothing in your post makes any sense at all.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying that iOS is the perfect interface for doing everything. I still find I do most of my computing on my desktop PC in Windows 8.1 because I do a lot of typing and virtual keyboards just suck on any platform for a variety of reasons. However for pure consumption behavior - web browsing, video streaming, checking the weather - Android or iOS just is better.

How?

AwesomeLewis24

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't see any reason for Microsoft to ditch WP... WP has made quite good progress in passing BlackBerry and is gaining on Android and iOS. Ditching it now would be a very dumb decision and could lead WP users out of Microsoft products full stop (Not exactly too realistic, but it could happen. I'm trying to get the point across that microsoft would lose a lot of money and fans, and I mean a lot.

AwesomeLewis24

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
web browsing, Android or iOS just is better.

I'd have to disagree with you there. I have an Android phone and an Android tablet, running both the default android browser and Google Chrome for Android. I experience pages load much faster and less buggy on Windows Phone's Internet Explorer than the android browser and Chrome on both devices..

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
However for pure consumption behavior - web browsing, video streaming, checking the weather - Android or iOS just is better.
In YOUR opinion. I hate iOS and Android interface. That doesn't make them bad, that's just how I feel about them. But I'm aware (and don't mind) that there are many people that do like them, and they don't need to defend that to me and no one needs to defend their belief that Metro is a good UI. Quit stating your opinion as a fact shared by everyone, because it's not a fact and it's not shared universally.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You fool! Do you realize what you have just said! Windows PCs can do anything and I mean anything, they make android and ios seem like toys. Windows can support every single video codec imaginable. Windows supports flash, windows can play full console games. The list goes on. Never compare a mobile OS to a full PC OS

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You don't buy the development division of Nokia just to canx WP. That makes no sense. What does if MSFT refocusing their direction which takes radical changes. WP will be the focus as the PC realm is already locked down by MSFT. Now they need to merge them better. With Cortana coming to Windows, Bing becoming more enterprise centric with the assistance of Cortana, and more companies putting down their ipads for surface tabs and other Windows products, MSFT at least is showing an intent to establish a formidable multi platform foundation

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
What a crappy few days regarding the news about Microsoft 'Betraying the Finnish' by shafting pretty much the entire Nokia team , staff cuts eating into the xbox division and the cancellation of the planned Xbox tv shows that were lined up.
I have been a user of Windows phone for just under a year now and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, especially with 8.1 which grew on me over time. However at the risk of sounding like a nay-sayer it's pretty clear that Windows Phone will be one of the next things to go.
With no sign of Growth , still mediocre versions of apps ( The apparent lack of apps story is something i just don't agree with) and always playing catch up with Android , ios and even Blackberry to an extent is just bad form . This is on a hardware and software front.

What do you guys think, after all its Microsoft we're talking about. They're not against scrapping an idea or current project -despite investing untold amounts of money - as they were unable to market said product initially.

What does everyone else think?

Playing on your name if you don't mind... NEVERMore

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
If someone finds Android or iOS better for regular consumer use than W8.1 maybe is just a matter of taste and convenience and i respect that, but the general consensus around here and other geek sites, gives W8.1 a clear advantage over the other mobile OS.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
What a crappy few days regarding the news about Microsoft 'Betraying the Finnish' by shafting pretty much the entire Nokia team , staff cuts eating into the xbox division and the cancellation of the planned Xbox tv shows that were lined up.
I have been a user of Windows phone for just under a year now and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, especially with 8.1 which grew on me over time. However at the risk of sounding like a nay-sayer it's pretty clear that Windows Phone will be one of the next things to go.
With no sign of Growth , still mediocre versions of apps ( The apparent lack of apps story is something i just don't agree with) and always playing catch up with Android , ios and even Blackberry to an extent is just bad form . This is on a hardware and software front.

What do you guys think, after all its Microsoft we're talking about. They're not against scrapping an idea or current project -despite investing untold amounts of money - as they were unable to market said product initially.

What does everyone else think?
There is something different about this. If Microsoft knew this was a bad idea they would have done it already like with kin and wp7 but this time it's different. Microsoft is actually listening to everyone outside of the us a better bing with cortana, Microsoft actually added the best micro ad card support ever in a smartphone. They have done so much but all we so is complain about there being mediocre apps. 8.1 released only a few months ago. Also Microsoft did scrap s40, asha and the x phones but they said they will focus on wp, can't you see, Microsoft are finally serious.

Have faith in WP!

Last edited:

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Of course MS laid off half the Nokia side of the equation. Microsoft has no need for various redundant departments. This was nothing more than a simple cost cutting measure that only made sense. Xbox Entertainment... especially the TV show portion failed to produce any hype at all. My hat is off to MS for killing that off before it became a true money drain. Bit surprised they didn't do that earlier. I don't see them ditching WP right after the purchased an entire base for phone manufacturing.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't think this means they're ditching it. The layoffs or "betrayal" of Nokia certainly doesn't mean they will. Apple only has one phone that they brand and manage in house. Why can't Microsoft?
offbeatbop,
Windows is not Apple or Google, do you think they ought to buy HP, ASUS, Samsung, Acer, Lenovo, IBM and the rest of the computer manufactures so there would only be one computer or laptop to buy as well. If you don't like freedom of choice limit yourself to one brand and style let the others have freedom to chose what they want.

Vishnu Hs

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Another post about how wp is crap!!and many many ppl defending it!!
Oh god why
I hear enough thy shall redeem u all if u leave this forum go back to your normal life and enjoy rather than coming here and pouring your heart out to defend a smartphone just because you purchased it!!

meanwhile in a parallel world ppl are enjoying android and ios(they are so happy,why cant we be?)

Matt Fara

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Sooooooo....... Basically Microsoft's strategy was to buy Nokia for 7.2 billion and then abandon it.
Makes perfect sense, don't know why I didn't see it before, OP for new CEO!

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
So when they get merged it'll run the same software effectively killing off Windows phone.
If there will be no distinction between the 2 we'll just have windows.

That's where it is going with Google and Apple. I mean you will see ios on mac books and Android on laptops before we are done.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That's where it is going with Google and Apple. I mean you will see ios on mac books and Android on laptops before we are done.

I don't see it happening because they both enjoy healthy market share and don't need to scramble and find something to entice users.

Sent From a POS Android Smartphone

osoalex

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they will ditch Windows Phone since it's software.

They *almost* ditched the entire Nokia team because it's synonym of hardware manufacturing and that's not the new focus of Microsoft.

Karl Whitfield

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Rome wasn't built in a day. A few more high end handsets and i think Windows Phone could establish itself as a serious alternative to iOS and Android to most smartphone users. Nobody wanted a platform you couldn't customise and nobody wanted a device that lacked the hardware of other similar Android devices and the iPhone.

Microsoft cannot afford to ditch this platform after spending a fortune on Nokia, investing previously into the company before the takeover and of course working on Windows Phone independently too! They have only really just finalised this deal too and it's only now that i think we can expect them to 'go for it'.

The whole Windows Phone vision feeds into the idea of having Windows on every device from PC to tablet and finally Phone. They cannot afford to let Android continue to dominate in any particular market unchallenged, as it could begin to reach into the desktop computer territory (we've already seen convertible laptops with Android) and then Microsoft is in big trouble because Android comes with many apps and developers and without the PC Microsoft is left in a weak and vulnerable position in many respects.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
this thread has run it's course, it's another wp will fail thread. we don't know what microsoft is planning but they are definitely not abandoning wp. in android central and imore you will never ever see threads like this. if you're saying wp will fail then keep it to yourself, stop making people feel bad for owning something, make them feel god for the choice they made

Have faith in WP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124