Will we see the demise of the mobile website?

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I was booking tickets at my local cinema in the UK on my 920 earlier on, but as they have no app, I had to use IE. The app only loaded in desktop mode, and I had the same result on my friend's iphone. However, they do have an iPhone app. Therefore, my question is do you think the mobile site will become obsolete? With the current app situation on WP I feel it is crucial that companies continue to put work into strong mobile sites. Either that or develop apps for all 3 platforms.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
a separate, mobile only, site should be dead in the water soon. since mobile browsers have gotten MUCH better and responsive websites that adjust based on resolution/browser ID are becoming more common.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
a separate, mobile only, site should be dead in the water soon. since mobile browsers have gotten MUCH better and responsive websites that adjust based on resolution/browser ID are becoming more common.

That hadn't even crossed my mind to be quite honest - perhaps just an emphasis on ensuring sites do render well on mobile browsers then as you describe. I'm just of the opinion that some companies see apps as the be all and end all, for the simplest of tasks that a website could achieve.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I still spend way more time on my computers than my phones and tablets just because you have more screen realestate to see things

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully yes. Kill off mobile websites, I hate them. In fact the main reason why I bought a Windows tablet is because I couldn't stand looking at mobile websites anymore (after years of using them on Android tabs and trying to display them as the desktop site.)

In fact, I hope mobile apps in general die altogether as well. There's no need to create a single application for everything if you can just use the web application. For example, the Facebook website/app works 100x better than the mobile app IMO, and it works the same across all browsers and all operating systems so you don't get massive defragmentation like you do with mobile apps. The only reason to create a mobile app is when it will be used without an internet connection.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully yes. Kill off mobile websites, I hate them. In fact the main reason why I bought a Windows tablet is because I couldn't stand looking at mobile websites anymore (after years of using them on Android tabs and trying to display them as the desktop site.)

In fact, I hope mobile apps in general die altogether as well. There's no need to create a single application for everything if you can just use the web application. For example, the Facebook website/app works 100x better than the mobile app IMO, and it works the same across all browsers and all operating systems so you don't get massive defragmentation like you do with mobile apps. The only reason to create a mobile app is when it will be used without an internet connection.

I hope they don't!

So you bought a tablet, but what about those who only have a smaller screen? Especially those in developing countries who's only internet access is on a 530 for example?

Yes you can view a normal site, but it's annoying pinching/zooming to read stuff all the time.

Even on my 930 I find a decent mobile sites easier to use than a full site a lot of the time.

Sites should make it easy to switch between the two......

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

Sorry if I'm missing something here but surely the benefits of mobile is the ease of use and portability. My phone is in my pocket all the time I am awake - my laptop and windows tablet is not. Yesterday, I wanted to check cinema times. I did not want to go upstairs in my house to get my tablet, I wanted to find them quickly on my phone then send a screenshot to my phone. In this mobile world there is no chance of a switch back to desktop.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly responsive websites are the future and gaining momentum, because you can develop a website once and ensure it will work as you intend across all devices. It takes a little longer to do, but the effort pays off.

On the other hand I can understand why mobile sites still exist at the moment, but I'm sure that in time they will die off and be replaced by responsive sites.

dnbrealm

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I think mobile/responsive websites are becoming the norm across the Internet. Modern browsers are getting better and better at HTML5 standards and native technologies. So I could only hope that mobile sites will outweigh mobile app benefits.

Imagine as a company trying to maintain UI/UX and code bases for all the available mobile platforms and on top any desktop/traditional sites. Its just a nightmare and time consuming. Just take Facebook app for example has a high number of applications for cross platforms.

Most mobile applications require regular updating to keep up with mobile OS and features, if they don't then they fall into the danger of becoming incompatible with older mobile OS iterations.

Where as mobile HTML in my opinion is more forgiving.

I'd like to believe that place for mobiles apps in the future will be for more native games and the shift of "casual" mobile applications moving towards the mobile browser.

Just my opinion as I work in the software industry I'm seeing this trend already.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the terminology is fuzzy, as "mobile website" is almost a pejorative phrase to describe a limited website for phones. As many of the posts have said, modern websites, with responsive web design provide a full experience that is optimized for a small screen. Having websites built to that standard allows for a write once, use everywhere situation that is much better than having to deal with writing apps for every phone platform. Everyone got app-happy, but so many of the apps out there solve no purpose that a well designed website wouldn't do better.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ This could become WP's saving grace if the trend develops faster. Particularly all the local specialty apps, which is where WP lacks most, would almost always have been better off as a responsive web site, rather than an app.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately mobile websites are here to stay for another 5 years around. Most companies take forever to improve their websites. Companies that already made a mobile site will not understand why a responsive site is needed. It's just an extra cost to their budget, that's all they think about, the money.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Responsive websites are the future of websites in general, however as @ShinraCorp said, it takes time for companies to update their sites. Just look at Windows Central, try resizing the desktop version, it try's to be responsive but its not there...

I'll admit, I'd rather use a properly formatted site on my phone for the local shops etc then yet another app that I have to disable notifications..

G.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
but with HTML5 being official now, it won't be long until everyone start rewriting their codes...which is actually better, since one code can work everywhere!

this might actually cut costs than maintaining a mobile and desktop version, since a responsive design will adapt to any size of screen, from desktop to smartphones!

also CSS3, brings a lot of cool new stuff to help improving websites, putting aside some Javascript or jQuery use!

it's just a matter of time until everyone adapts to HTML5/CSS3 and we see responsive websites everywhere!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786