Will "Windows Apps" ever replace "Win32" apps?

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it's important to point out that the "limitations" of the WinRT framework are mostly intentional and part of the design. The WinRT framework was created to cater to the least common denominator so that it could run on nearly any device (Rasberry Pi 2 for example). It is basically a subset of the more common Windows APIs. Win32 on the other hand has always been designed to do anything and everything that the full Windows OS is capable of doing.

The point is that WinRT apps really can't fully replace the capabilities of Win32 programs until such time as the most limited devices have much more capable hardware. If a developer is creating software that can operate within the intentional limits of WinRT then they can do without Win32. Otherwise, Win32 (and an underlying full OS + related hardware) is still needed. As mobile hardware and OSes become more capable I'm sure the gap between WinRT and Win32 will shrink, but for now that gap is required.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think it's important to point out that the "limitations" of the WinRT framework are mostly intentional and part of the design. The WinRT framework was created to cater to the least common denominator so that it could run on nearly any device (Rasberry Pi 2 for example). It is basically a subset of the more common Windows APIs. Win32 on the other hand has always been designed to do anything and everything that the full Windows OS is capable of doing.

The point is that WinRT apps really can't fully replace the capabilities of Win32 programs until such time as the most limited devices have much more capable hardware. If a developer is creating software that can operate within the intentional limits of WinRT then they can do without Win32. Otherwise, Win32 (and an underlying full OS + related hardware) is still needed. As mobile hardware and OSes become more capable I'm sure the gap between WinRT and Win32 will shrink, but for now that gap is required.

I don't think it's because of hardware capability, it's mostly because of security. WinRT app does not have access to API that can mess with system. Take JIT for exampe, it has always been there since windows 8 but only the default browser can use it.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Before I would ever use a Windows App over a Win32 app, there needs to be Drag and Drop. All day, I work on my PC and drag & drop is a huge thing that saves time. Until then, Windows Apps will be nice toys for fun, but not for work.