[win 10] Getting the registry key that is responsible for the random mac address

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

notebook Acer Predator 15, G9-591
system: Windows 10

I have set the random mac address in the wifi settings to ON.

The system immediately crashed with a security exception in the blue screen and it crashes always if the wifi adapter is initialized. Avoiding network adapters initialization during startup allows to log in but I can not reset the wifi settings or the random mac address feature back to OFF because there is no wifi settings in the settings dialog.

I need to get the registry path and the key that is responsible for setting ON this feature.

I also tried to load previous recovery point but it did not help. Still the system is crashing.

I have tried to update the adapter with the Killer e2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller Driver but it did not help to solve the issue.

Thank you.

tototodfg

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
1. Boot in the recovery Windows configuration without network initialized.

2. Win+R, run regedit.exe

3. Locate the network adapter configuration that was configured with the random mac address feature in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
The network adapter maker's name can suggest the proper subfolder of {4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

4. Right-click on the folder that matches your device. For example, if the "0001" folder matches your device, right-click on the folder. Select New → String Value. Name the new value "NetworkAddress".

5. Double-click the new Network Address entry. In the "Value data" field, enter your new MAC address. MAC addresses are 12-digit values, and should be entered without any dashes or colons. For example, if you want to make the MAC address "2A:1B:4C:3D:6E:5F", you would enter "2A1B4C3D6E5F" (see the detailed instructions in 3 Ways to Change a Computer's Mac Address in Windows)

6. Restart the computer. You will notice in the wifi adapter advanced configuration settings that the random mac address option is greyed out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wizzard