Windows 10 forcing my PC into sleep mode after 2-3 minutes, how do I stop this?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I've done everything I can in the settings to keep this from happening. Sleep mode is entirely, 100%, disabled...and yet it keeps going into sleep mode after 2 or 3 minutes of inactivity. The worst part about it is that half the time when I wiggle my mouse to wake it back up I have to disconnect from my Wi-Fi and then connect to it again before the internet will work, otherwise it says no connection.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I've been searching for answers for like 6 or 7 months now when I first upgraded to windows 10 and the only sleep mode issues anybody seems to have is when it powers itself down while in sleep mode or it won't wake back up. I had this PC for over a year on windows 8.1 and never had this issue, but literally the day I upgraded to windows 10 it started happening and now several months later I finally got sick enough to ask for help again. Last time I asked for help on multiple forums I didn't get a single response, not even from the windows forum.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
you're sure that it isn't just the screen going off and not the pc going into sleep mode? Check screen timeout settings, change them to be longer and see if there is a difference

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

NineteenWash

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
There is a massive difference between sleep mod and my screen just turning off...but yes, my display (Which is a TV) is set to never turn off. And because its a TV its even more obvious its in sleep, because when it goes into sleep I get the "No Signal" bouncing around the TV and the lights from my PC dim until I wake up back up too.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
There is a massive difference between sleep mod and my screen just turning off...but yes, my display (Which is a TV) is set to never turn off. And because its a TV its even more obvious its in sleep, because when it goes into sleep I get the "No Signal" bouncing around the TV and the lights from my PC dim until I wake up back up too.

Okay, so the pc goes to sleep when connected with the tv screen? How is the connection? wireless or hdmi or vga?
Trying to gather some info :smile:

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
My mother's computer has same exact issue. I tried for several hours to correct it and was never successful. I researched it as well and discovered there are people out there with the same problem. She upgraded to Win 10 from 8.1 as well. She won't do what I suggested she do (hard reset) so the problem has never been fixed. I was hoping the AU update would correct it but she hasn't gotten it yet.

I was no help to the OP question, just letting him (her) know there are others out there with same issue.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

jamesamand6

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
go to control panel
look at the box at the top of your screen where is says "Control Panel",
click the arrow for the drop down,
Select "Hardware and Sound",
Click the arrow beside Hardware and Sound
Click Power Options,
On the left side of your screen click "Change when the computer sleeps"
Select the "Change plan settings"

You can also Follow this trouble shooting process for Fixing Windows Sleep Mode Problems you want to give it a chance, but likely you will discover that none of these solutions work and the final suggestion is to contact HP for a replacement. If you're like me and you are not the original purchaser of the monitor or it's a little old, you're screwed. There is no solution anywhere for this. My monitor has been dead for 4 months, and I've tried everything short of taking it apart. And I only stopped there because I can't figure out how to take the thing apart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12