Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview 14322 Issues (Redstone Branch)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Shouldn't have to do any of this. Preview build or not. There are some unqualified people working on Redstone preview builds. Every one of them has been awful.

As far as not having to do any of the tricks to prevent massive battery drain, one thing people don't understand is the REAL reason for the extra battery drain.

The real issue isn't a problem with any of these apps, though disabling those things can help to conserve the battery. The real issue is the debug code and telemetry that is turned on to help Microsoft track down the bugs. Your device is constantly monitoring itself for issues for everything it does. It will report telemetry if it has crashes or issues, so that Microsoft can analyze it and get it fixed.

Once most of the bugs have been squashed, they will remove that debug code and the OS will begin to run smoother, faster, and not drain the battery so much.

I make sure that when I'm on a preview, that I always have access to power to keep my phone from dropping too low on the charge. If I'm going to be out and about and unable to plug in, I carry a portable power bank with me, just because I know that they have to have that debug code in when they are "testing" an OS, and that it will, inevitably, drain the battery quickly until that debug code is removed.

This definitely isn't for everyone, but even with the bugs, I'm enjoying the Insider Program. I enjoy finding and reporting bugs. I enjoy living on the edge. If I get a build that is too rough for my daily driver device, I have a backup device I can put the SIM card in until the next build. I wouldn't try the Insider Program without it.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Additionally to what @rhapdog has said, if you switch to production build, your battery life improves since the phone isn't gathering so much telemetry and reports

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, I had this build ever since it came out, and it was working great. But today I decided to do a hard reset on my phone (haven't done this since 10586) because I noticed there were a few quirkiness going on, such as:

1) WhatsApp notification won't show unless you open the app, but this only happens after the phone has been left on for a long time (a few days). Soft-resetting/ restarting the phone often solves this.
2) 2nd Alarm doesn't work. Say I had an alarm set at 7.00 and 7.30 am, only the 7.00am alarm would play a sound. The second one would not (unless I manually dismiss the first alarm, only then would the 2nd alarm trigger).
3) General performance seems a bit slower than usual these past few days.

And a few more stuff but those are just minor things. Anyhow, after the hard reset (without restoring from backup), I have problems in the settings menu for the Action Centre. Dragging to relocate the toggles in the action centre causes it to crash. This was common in this build I guess, since other users have reported it somewhere in this site/forum. But what I didn't expect was this:

From the 'Add or Remove Quick Actions' menu, if I enabled 2 of them, say Battery Saver and Brightness (in the order of (1) Battery Saver (2) Brightness), when I enable ANY 3rd toggle after enabling the previous two, the Battery Saver toggle (1) would go back to off. Basically, every 3rd toggling will cause the 1st toggle to return back to off.

Also, I've tried enabling just one, press back, close the Settings from the Task View (holding back button + swipe down), then re-do the whole thing again, nothing is actually changed. Also because of this, I can't easily re-enable any of the Actions (have to do these actions couple of times before I manage to get the Action toggle back) but it is far, far easier to remove them.

Because of this, most of the Quick Action toggles that I require, such as Battery Saver and Flashlight, have been removed from the action centre. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Anyone knows of any solution to this problem?

Btw, I've reported this through the Feedback App, so yeah. I'm here seeking solutions from you all.

I tried searching for the problem in this thread, but no one mentioned about it (pretty sure I've seen it being mentioned somewhere in this forums, just couldn't remember where :v)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon