Windows 10 Mobile's End

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Apart from security updates & bug fixes, there are no new features / developments coming & end of support is December 2019.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
They didn't exactly forget about it, they just pretend it doesn't exist and life is easier for them. Soon shipments of Windows 10 on other devices will likely decline, would like to see what they're going to do then.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If someone buys one of these and checks the date of manufacture to see if it coincides with the original run then we'll know that it's just leftover stock.

It would be nice if someone could be the guinea pig but it can't be me until I know what's up with Sony.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
If someone buys one of these and checks the date of manufacture to see if it coincides with the original run then we'll know that it's just leftover stock.

Would Microsoft be so bold as to try and offload returns/refurbished units without stating that fact..."Oops our bad" LOL.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Shows their contempt that they will willingly take peoples money while treating them like lepers for owning one of their devices.

Sent from mTalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Shows their contempt that they will willingly take peoples money while treating them like lepers for owning one of their devices.

I think by now everyone knows what's going on with W10M. Microsoft isn't to blame here for anyone buying one of their devices. It's not a device that someone blindly purchases, as they're quite difficult to find. You need to be looking for it.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think by now everyone knows what's going on with W10M. Microsoft isn't to blame here for anyone buying one of their devices. It's not a device that someone blindly purchases, as they're quite difficult to find. You need to be looking for it.

Not everyone comes to forums like this so I could see that some people wouldn’t know, but I think you’re right, most do by now. Still, they should be at greatly discounted prices.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
IDK. They haven't added any features in a while. They don't talk about it.

But they just put a fresh bunch of phones up in the Microsoft store. And they wrote some services for PWA into the edge version on WP (Which seems pointless unless you intend to make PWA UWP packages for WP too).

There's some kind of new device in the works. Andromeda. Some Folding jobby, that'll probably come out late this year. It'll probably essentially be full windows in one sense or another, with the new core
and cshell.

MSFT keeps stuff to its chest. It's like a GF that still hangs around but gets mysteriously moody and doesn't talk about it.

Could be they plan to put PWA UWP hybrids on WP too, and keep WP going for just a little longer, whilst they bring out their new shiny. Or not. But would kinda make sense given that WP will have life of some sort, even unsupported, so long as it can run all the UWPs in the store.

But could be its not entirely dead yet.

Of course a more cynical perspective might be that they have a few more things they'd like to test on the platform - like PWAs, to make sure they work well across phone hardware, in preparation for Andromeda (rather than any attempt to make a stopgap). But they were still added PWA services to the mobile edge late last year (and maybe this year IDK), despite no other roll outs, including the photos update WP could have needed.

So that, and the appearance of a possible new short run of the current models, kinda does look like hardware testing their PWA apps implementation.

Either that, or they have a new iteration of the OS (and I think that might be optimistic), that they plan on rolling out to old phones.

I think testing is plausible. If I was going to test by edge browser, as a full UWP, hosting other PWA UWP hybrids, I'd want to test it on the widest variety of hardware possible, even if those models where redundant, just to make sure the intergration with the OS is robust, and all the services ran right - assuming of course, like other surface products, the new "not phone" gets copied by other OEMs, they won't want to be bug fixing all that on the fly.

In fact pretty much its felt like the last two years of windows phone, has been using it as a testbed for something other than windows phone to me.

Last edited:

Troy Tiscareno

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
It's called "we need this warehouse space for other things" or "we're giving up the lease on this warehouse and need it empty." They're just getting rid of the last of their old stock - and it might be (new, unused) returns from a distributor who returned their unsold devices to MS for credit. Anyone believing these are newly-manufactured (HA!) must also believe that the Surface Phone will be released any day now - with full developer support from everyone! LOL.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Re: the PWA services thing. Perhaps it could be that desktop edge is just tied in some way to mobile edge. In which case, it's possible PWA UWP hybrids may or many not work when the next update rolls out, and that could just be a happy coincidence.

Re: the stock - it's odd. High prices aren't stock clearance mentality, the batteries would need replacing as lithium doesn't last without charging, MSFT wouldn't take back already purchased and paid for stock, and it's doubtful they would lose any. For them to suddenly have every model that's supported, at a high price, it's odd. Could be they were holding it back in order to sell at a higher price, but its a weird one.

Re: Andromeda - that's a thing. It's been seen in the code. It may or many not make it to market, but they are definately working on a mobile dual screen device. However it's not really a phone, more of a touch screen mini ultrabook with telephony features.

Troy Tiscareno

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
Re: the stock - it's odd. High prices aren't stock clearance mentality,

Except if they know that there aren't that many to sell, and there are also hard-core fans who know it's going away and are willing to pay full boat for a NIB example. Why not maximize profits?

the batteries would need replacing as lithium doesn't last without charging,

They have a warranty.

MSFT wouldn't take back already purchased and paid for stock, and it's doubtful they would lose any.

Given MS's position in the market, it's QUITE possible that their deals with distributors included a requirement that unsold stock could be returned at a certain point.

It's also possible that this was stock held onto for warranty exchanges or for corporate sales, and have now been released for clearance.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Except if they know that there aren't that many to sell, and there are also hard-core fans who know it's going away and are willing to pay full boat for a NIB example. Why not maximize profits?

Given MS's position in the market, it's QUITE possible that their deals with distributors included a requirement that unsold stock could be returned at a certain point.

It's also possible that this was stock held onto for warranty exchanges or for corporate sales, and have now been released for clearance.
All fine and dandy except the phones aren't for sale anymore and show unavailable. It's funny how a dead OS/mobile device gets so much attention 😉

The truth is that it really doesn't matter to me how, why or even if they do or not. Either way it's a good thing.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

They have a warranty.

Yeah turns out the stock never existed. Which explains all the weirdness I was talking about - high prices, every model, suddenly having some despite having already cleared stock. It was a web store error.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo