Windows 10 Preview build 14986 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
This build has many many new features, you can view this here.

http://www.windowscentral.com/hands-windows-10-build-14986-showcasing-new-features-and-improvements

Other changes, improvements, and fixes for PC

1. We have improved the Windows Hello face which may require you to “Improve Recognition” to get recognized again. To do this – go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options and under “Windows Hello” and “Face Recognition”, select “Improve Recognition” to go through the Improve Recognition wizard.
  2. We updated the Taskbar’s context menu settings entry to now explicitly be called “Taskbar settings”, as that is where it pointed.
  3. We fixed an issue where the Virtual Touchpad’s left and right buttons might not work on some devices. We also fixed an issue where the Virtual Touchpad wouldn’t launch if the primary monitor was non-touch, and added the Virtual Touchpad icon to the Taskbar settings where you can Turn system icons on or off.
  4. We fixed the issue where apps such as Store, Photos, and People might launch on their own after your PC had been inactive for a period of time.
  5. We fixed the issue where navigating to Settings > System > Battery would crash the Settings app.
  6. We’ve changed the default state of the Handwriting Panel to be floating next to the text field, rather than docked at the bottom of the screen. If you prefer docked-mode, you can still select it by tapping the icon in the top right corner of the Handwriting Panel.
  7. We fixed an issue where using ~ to switch languages using the Thai keyboard when typing in Office apps, such as Outlook or Word 2016, might sometimes result in a hang.
  8. We’ve updated our migration logic, so that going forward from 14986 the default user’s numlock setting will now be preserved across upgrades.
  9. We fixed an issue where double-clicking on an Excel document to open it from File Explorer would crash Microsoft Excel.
  10. We fixed an issue where Windows Hello might get stuck “Looking for you”.
  11. We fixed an issue Insiders with Surface Dial may have experienced recently where rotating the Dial could result in unexpected beeps.
  12. We’re moving some things around in Storage Settings – stay tuned for future updates. For this flight, you’ll notice that the settings to change save locations has moved to its own page. We also fixed an issue where Storage Usage for the Other category might show an unexpectedly high number.
  13. We fixed an issue where the PowerShell entry in File Explorer’s File menu would sometimes be unexpectedly greyed out.
  14. We fixed an issue where the Clock and Calendar flyout in the taskbar wouldn’t launch when the display language was set to Chinese (Traditional) and the system was using the phonetic sorting method.
  15. We’ve updated the full screen Settings search results to now use smaller icons – we feel this delivers an overall more polished feel, as well as enables more search results to display on the page at a time.
  16. We fixed an issue where some notifications might draw too high or too low, and then be seen moving itself to the correct position.
  17. We fixed an issue where the outline incoming notification toasts could still be seen if notification banners as a whole for that particular app had been turned off.
  18. We fixed an issue Insiders may have experienced where the Favorites bar on desktop might appear empty, despite having items in the Favorites folder.
  19. We fixed an issue that could result in CPU throttling when idling on certain webpages with many gifs or looping videos in Microsoft Edge.
  20. We fixed an issue that could result in Alt + D sometimes not being able to set focus to the address bar in Microsoft Edge.
  21. For Insiders with PCs that upgraded to builds 14926-14959, some default power settings may have been lost and not recovered on subsequent upgrades. The effect of this causes devices to potentially use more power, change the power button behavior on tablets, etc. Starting with 14986, an attempt to detect this issue and re-apply the power settings will be made during upgrade. This attempt is a temporary process to help address this issue for Insiders, and will be removed once we’re closer to the Creators Update release.
  22. We’ve heard your feedback, and updated our Windows Error Reporting logic so that uploading crash data should no longer interfere with online game play, video streaming, Skype calls, or other network-intensive activity. Please keep an eye out for this if you experience any crashes and let us know how it goes.
  23. We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Studios games like Microsoft Sudoku, Jigsaw, Minesweeper, Taptiles, and Treasure Hunt potentially freezing at the splash screen on launch.
  24. We fixed an issue where, if the taskbar location was set to be on top, it was visible on the Welcome screens after upgrading.

Known issues for PC

1. Using keyboard monitor hotkeys to adjust brightness won’t work as expected. Desired brightness change could be done via the Action Center or by going to Settings > System > Display.
  2. You may see a popup “Catastrophic Error” dialog when opening OneDrive folders. If you do, the workaround is to open an elevated Command Prompt or PowerShell window and enter “attrib -O <path to OneDrive failure that resulted in the error dialog>”.
  3. We’re currently investigating reports that DirectAccess isn’t working for some Windows Insiders.
  4. When using Microsoft Edge with Narrator, you may hear “no item in view or silence when tabbing or using other navigation commands. You can use Alt + Tab when this happens to move focus away from and back to the Edge browser and then Narrator will read as expected.
  5. Hey Cortana, play <blah> on <AppName> doesn’t work immediately after installing the app. Wait 5 minutes for indexer to kick in and try again.
  6. Currently, the Windows Defender dashboard is primarily aimed at providing some minimal read-only status for Antivirus/Firewall, with some very limited functionality for interacting with the app. Here are some of the known issues with the dashboard to be aware of (not a comprehensive list):
  7. Doesn’t accurately roll up status of Pillars
  8. Doesn’t accurately show status when a 3P AV is on the machine.
  9. History is not yet available in the new app
  10. Advanced/Custom scans are not yet available in the new app
  11. Settings are not configurable through the new app
  12. Firewall control panel not launchable from new app
  13. Firewall settings are not configurable through the new app

This build and version is the latest Redstone 2 build in testing for Mobile Insiders on the Fast Ring.

Issues? Bugs? Solutions? For all things build 14955, discuss it here.

This build and version is the latest Redstone 2 build in testing for Mobile Insiders on the Fast Ring.

Issues? Bugs? Solutions? For all things build 14955, discuss it here.

[NOTE]Tip: Check out this thread before posting
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...you-[recommended-guidelines].html#post3467172[/NOTE]
Is your device behaving oddly, is something just not right? This is the place for discussion of software and hardware issues!
[TIP]Here is some useful information you may find yourself needing.
Some issues with responsiveness and app delays can be resolved by either restarting your phone or performing a Soft Reset.

If things get a bit more serious, you may opt to perform a hard reset or software reset.

Lastly, if things really get serious, you may need the Windows Device Recovery Tool to recover your phone back to working order - head over to the Microsoft FAQ Page for more information.

Make sure you check the official Windows 10 Mobile Support Page as well for some of the most common tips and trouble shooting guides.[/TIP]
[INFO]Restarting your phone involves turning it off and then turning it on again. Turn off your phone by pressing the power button until you are prompted to "Slide down to power off". Turn your phone on again by pressing the power button until it vibrates.

A soft reset is similar to pressing the reset button in PCs and has the same effect as pulling out the battery of your phone and then putting it back in. For phones with non-removable batteries, press the volume down and power button together until your phone restarts. Be aware that when using Windows 10, the voume down and power button combination will also launch Windows Feedback. Just continue to hold down the buttons for a full 10 seconds in order to trigger the soft reset. For phones with removable batteries, you can either opt for the button combination or remove the battery and then return it.

A hard reset or a software reset will reformat your phone by removing all the user information leaving only the bare OS and firmware currently installed in your phone. It does erase data so you should always keep a good backup of your phone just in case you have to resort to this option.

The software reset can be done by going to your phone Settings > System > About > tap on "Reset your phone." You will be prompted once before doing this just to be sure. Be sure, also, to have everything backed up since there would be no way to recover all of your files.

The hard reset accomplishes the same thing as the software reset, but can be accomplished when the phone is non-responsive and you are unable to enter into settings. To perform the Hard Reset, "Power off the phone > hold Volume Down > press Power > keep holding Volume Down until you see the exclamation (!) screen, then immediately release the Volume Down. Now tap Volume Up / Volume Down / Power / Volume Down. You should see the spinning gears and your phone will reflash the last OS version held in recovery.

The Windows Device Recovery Tool is the final option, for example for "bricked" phones that would no longer turn on, be charged, etc. This can be used to either roll back to a previous OS version or force an update to a more current OS version[/INFO]
Remember, when reporting bugs be descriptive! The more information you give, the better the chance someone will be able to help you.

What OS version? Any special conditions that should be noted? What were you doing? What is the result? Any error codes or messages given? What have you tried for solutions? What variant of the phone are you using? Single SIM or Dual SIM?

Please describe as much as possible about the bug so others may try and replicate the bug and don't make suggestions for solutions that you have already tried which have failed.
[INFO]When reporting bugs/issues, please also use the Windows Feedback app to report issues directly to Microsoft. Microsoft don't actively read forums looking for people reporting issues when they have a data collection system built right into the operating system. They use WF to analyse numbers and prioritise fixes (issues with more reports, get sorted quicker).

"You can use the Windows Feedback app to tell us which features you love about your Lumia with Windows 10, or when something could be better.
1.To launch the app, swipe over to the App list, and then select Windows Feedback.
2.See if someone else has given similar feedback by entering the topic, such as Microsoft OneDrive.
3.If you find similar feedback, tap the Upvote or tap on the feedback to open it, write the problem details to Add details-field and tap Send.
4.To narrow your search to a specific topic, you can filter the results by picking the category that matches your feedback the closest. For example, for feedback about the Microsoft OneDrive, select Apps and Games > OneDrive.
5.If you don?€™t find any similar feedback, tap + to add new feedback. Select the correct category and subcategory from the dropdown-list.
6.Enter your feedback (the more details the better!), add a screenshot if you can, and tap Send.
7.Your feedback will automatically upload when you are charging your phone and connected to Wi-Fi, but you can also upload the feedback manually by tapping ?€? > Upload feedback data."
[/INFO]

Last edited:

augustaville

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Update took quite a few tries, but we are now up and running.

Windows Hello no longer works with my RealSense camera. Just sound effects when I try to improve recognition. It works as a microphone and as a camera, but not windows hello.

paschott

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Anyone else seeing much higher battery usage and heat on a Surface 4 (or 3, I suppose)? My device starts warming up shortly after turning on and anything beyond basic web browsing seems to make it warm enough to kick the fans on. Last build would get me through the day with mixed usage on and off. This build won't even make it 90 minutes with light usage and is pretty warm the whole time. Even sleeping, the Surface is warm. I realize that this is an Insider build, but curious if anyone else is seeing something similar.

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I cant seem to find the ESD file on this build. Seems like it is being purged from the system after the upgrade is complete or the new UUP does not use an ESD file.

fishyuk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't upgrade to this build for ages, first on fast, then trying on slow. It finally came down randomly, possibly based on the number of house lights switched on at the time and....I really really wish it hadn't.

Edge takes 20-22 seconds to open. About 18 seconds to open a new tab
Hello/Intel Realsense F200 is broken
I can't use standby as everytime I get a HIDClass bluescreen
It uninstalled Malwarebytes during the upgrade without any warning on compatibility. I've reinstalled 3 fine but I didn't notice for a couple of days so it wasn't ideal.

Needless to say none of these issues occured before but I don't remember any slow ring release being so horrible Windows 10 Preview build 14986 Discussion (Redstone 2; Fast Ring)

before (and this is on an Intel NUC, not exactly esoteric). Not having Hello is a pain (they have acknowleged the issue on the hub), thankfully being my desktop I can turn off standby but the Edge issue is horrible as I actaully like and use edge constantly, I only really wanted to push the upgrade from the last slow due to the Edge closing after a few secs on first open known issue.

Naturally understand risks of insider (have laptop on Prod and tablet on RC so I'm covered) but genuiunely surprised at this on slow. Doesn't seem to be just me either but perhaps it is just my time for some "fun" :p

Update: Edge issue fixed be quitting Malwarebytes so that does seem to be the incompatibility reason. Shame as never had issues with Malwarebytes or Anti Exploit (now one product) on previous insider builds so hopefully they will jointly sort quickly - don't not like having it running on a machine I use a lot (hence on slow) so may have to exit insider otherwise.
Oddly I did discover another issue though, I couldn't edit this post in Edge so had to switch to Firefox but I'll take that over it not working at all!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster