Windows 10 + Surface Pro 3 = Disappointment

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'm liking W10 on both my SP3 and desktop. There are some issues that need to be fixed, like not being able to synch OneDrive to the microSD card and that I can't seem to change font size by itself. They are just not a show stoppers for me. I haven't had the battery die on me at an inopportune time. I am conservative about what I synch with OneDrive anyway. I have 10TB of OneDrive, and I am using approx. 5TB-ish of it, so I have to pick and choose anyway. This just makes me more selective with what I need access to regularly on my SP3. If I need something, and the folder is not synched on my SP3, I just log into OneDrive via Edge and download it. Speaking of Edge, it's a brand new browser from the ground up and like it's predecessor will need some more maturing.

The whole thing with the direction Microsoft is going is that Win10 will be continuing to evolve in a much more dynamic and responsive way. Something other OS's are not doing... at least not yet.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'm liking W10 on both my SP3 and desktop. There are some issues that need to be fixed, like not being able to synch OneDrive to the microSD card and that I can't seem to change font size by itself. They are just not a show stoppers for me. I haven't had the battery die on me at an inopportune time. I am conservative about what I synch with OneDrive anyway. I have 10TB of OneDrive, and I am using approx. 5TB-ish of it, so I have to pick and choose anyway. This just makes me more selective with what I need access to regularly on my SP3. If I need something, and the folder is not synched on my SP3, I just log into OneDrive via Edge and download it. Speaking of Edge, it's a brand new browser from the ground up and like it's predecessor will need some more maturing.

The whole thing with the direction Microsoft is going is that Win10 will be continuing to evolve in a much more dynamic and responsive way. Something other OS's are not doing... at least not yet.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
You seem to be saying two different things simultaneously....

On the one hand you're saying that Win10 is better on tablets than Win 8/8.1 was.
On other other hand you say that Microsoft had to make "things basic" and will be adding new toys/features in later releases.

Both can't be true.

Yes they can be,Microsoft are releasing basic core o/s for the back to school event ie July, cutting down features to make a core o/s is sensible and stable as the o/s is modular.

The original 8.1 touch swipes will be changed or added in through insiders first then onto full builds. As added features.

With regards to 10 on tablets the full screen apps in a wrapper is nice, with snap etc it's all like 8, the advantages of that notification bar is much better than charms, yes lacking finger swipes for the moment however we have continuum.

I love the snap on keyboard on sp2 and changes to 7 style, then when I want to go sit on sofa look at pictures clip off and tablet again!

10 makes better uses with sp 1,2,3,(onwards), future growth of 10 will iron out more.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
On a extra note you can make a network drive for tablets to your one drive folder online, don't need placeholders as the files online to use, place holders or not you need to cache I on your system.

A good work around :)

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Rebuttal on video:

1. Horizontal vs. Vertical scrolling of start screen: Personally, I find that I have LESS muscle fatigue in my thumbs with horizontal scrolling.

2. System tray/bar: Personally I don't mind it being there. I do like having the date and time visible all the time.

3. Swiping down to close app/program: Yep, it's still there, it's the same, but damn it, on my SP3 it's hit-n-miss to get it happen. It takes multiple attempts for some reason to 'grab' the application to take it all the way to the bottom of the screen to close it out, or to throw it to the side for split screen. Again, you can only have 2 apps in split screen on the SP3, I missed having 3 apps.

4. Task switcher: Yes, swiping in from the left side of the screen brings up running apps/programs. But in order to select which app/program I want, I have to move my entire hand from the edged of the screen to middle of the screen to choose the program. In W8.1, it's a quick swipe in-and-out with my thumb, then scroll up or down, again with thumb, to select running app. Much less muscle movements in W8.1.

5. Apps list: Good idea, again badly implemented. The icons, and touch target areas are to damn small, even with my SP3 set to 150% display. I'm always hitting the 'power' icon instead of the app list icon, or vise versa. Or doG forbid, hitting the start icon. When I finally get to the actual app list, again, the touch targets are to small, and I'm always starting the app/program either above or below the one I want.

6. Programs in Full screen: Yes, running desktop programs in full screen is a good idea, but again poorly implemented because (one more time) the touch target area's are to small.

Example: Will someone please explain to me why when I'm using file explorer in W8.1 I can tap on the various parts of the program and invoke what I was aiming for (say 'new folder'), but in W10 it usually take me 3 to 5 attempts for me to actually hit what I'm aiming for!?!?!?!? It's like W7 all over again on a touch screen.

7. Search: Ok, I'm going to have to take a step out of tablet mode, and go into desktop mode for this complaint. I REALLY miss the idea of just start typing when on the start screen and it automatically opens the search and enters what I'm typing there. W10, I have to tap on the Cortana icon, then start typing.

8. Edge browser: I've said it before, and I'll say it AGAIN: It needs swipe navigation for forward and back and so forth. Also, they need to take a cue from the phone side and move the address bar to the bottom of the screen. Going back and forth from W8.1 and W10, I'm starting to realize that the app/modern version of IE in W8.1 really has a nice touch interface. With the address bar on the bottom, and all the associated action icons down there work really well. Personally in W8.1 with the IE app, I keep the address bar shown at all times, and it works.

Even when I'm using the keyboard with the IE app, keeping the address bar at the bottom of the screen is nice because I can hit the icons with minimal movement from the keyboard to the bottom of the screen. With Edge I have to lift my entire arm to select anything at the top of the screen.

The 8.1 method was horrible if you had a lot of apps open.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm not having any issues at all with Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3.

Granted, I selected "No, and don't ask me again" the first time it popped up about tablet mode. I prefer resizable windows, even on a tablet. Using a Windows 8.1 device is a pain with everything insisting to be full screen (or half screen if you beat it into submission).

davo_svk

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
"The 8.1 method was horrible if you had a lot of apps open."

No it was not horrible, it was better. You was able to see all opened apps by EASY swipe right and then back to left... And it was all in one column. You was also able to have 3 apps side by side, not just 2. And with better scaling options.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshletHarris