Windows 10 + Surface Pro 3 = Disappointment

lordbendrix

May 2, 2015
Visit site
The way they handled OneDrive was the biggest killer for me. I am now devoted to the system. There is not enough hard drive space on a surface pro, and the smart files were perfect. Now its a mess. I also find the browser cumbersome in comparison, the UI looks bad in tablet mode, and the battery life sucks. I honestly think Microsoft knows all of this and its why the Pro 4 still has no release date.

noobchief

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Not much problem with me on my second SP3 ( The original one got a INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error and MSFT replaced it), battery life is great, doesn't get warm during light usage. I generally do not use the modern internet explorer, so I think Windows 10 has been great so far. And about the tablet mode, I think it's okay, I just dont like the fact i can't access folders on my desktop conveniently.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Man, I can only last a day or two on W10 in tablet mode. I'm open to new changes, as long as they improve from the old. I accepted XP, W95, W7, W8.x through the years without much complaining. It would only take a day or two to wrap my head around the changes and see that things were improved.

W10 really improved W8.1 in the desktop environment, which I know was the biggest complaint among users. Which I understand completely. But I dove in paid $$$$ for a SP3 which really showed what W8.1 was capable of. Once I understood that you have to personalize the Start Screen things just "clicked" and life was good. I hate to admit it, but MS really did a good job with the touch interface. Looking back in hindsight, Sinofsky and his team REALLY did a damn good job. I'm positive they did extensive usability testing with focus groups to refine things. Granted, they really didn't much to educate people on how to get around (remember the power, sleep, logout fiasco), but MS really has a bad history of explaining changes, and features. Throughout the years they literally just through things out to everyone and let them figure it out themselves (they really need to change this shortcoming).

W10 came around and I was really looking forward to it. Driving around with a track pad/mouse and keyboard, it's REALLY good. Then into tablet mode. OMFG, what a cluster. I pretty sure that MS didn't even test the tablet mode with any focus groups. It's as if they were in panic mode trying to appease the desktop users (rightfully so since W8.1 really didn't take for desktop users), but they completely forgot the tablet users (yes, we are in the minority), and just threw in what they could without thought.

mapenn

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to fall into that same group of SP3 users who can't stand Windows 10. It's a big step backwards for the tablet mode users. Most of the swipe gestures that we finally mastered are gone. Finding & opening apps is no longer intuitive. Battery life for me decreased by 50% (no exaggeration). Even the start menu layout on tablet mode is ruined. It's just a mess. I guess I was one of the few people who actually loved Windows 8.1 on both tablet and desktop - I thought it worked great and made sense. I certainly did not complain about "progress" back then :) . But, so far, v10 is a mess. I would not recommend upgrading for SP3 users yet.

HeadPack

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I have had the exact same experience, and am on lookout for a Linux distro to dual boot with 8.1. One has to leave some Windows on the SP in order to get firmware updates. That nagging W10 button can be eliminated by uninstalling KB3035583 from installed updates, and by hiding it next time when you search updates. Has worked on all my 7 and 8.1 machines.
Still regret the time I wasted on 10, but knowing first hand how useless it is at this point at least removed any doubt. Touch UX, OneDrive (smart files), OneNote, battery life and update frequency are better on 8.1.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
They killed off everything from 8.1 touch related. Gestures, ideas, controls, everything gone. It's just desktop and a half arsed tablet mode. Touch is just an afterthought, tap with a finger equals a click with a mouse. It ends there. Is it unfinished? Why release it then? Nothing has people running to a competition more like an unfinished product.

What other touch based full blown operating system competition are you speaking of? Last I check Apple believed that the OSX environment is for getting work done and that touch isn't needed? If Linux is your cup of tea, get go away.

Just_Me

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I agree with many of the complaints about the lack of touch, terrible tablet mode, & OneDrive mess. Ive installed on 4 tablets so far (SP1, Lenovo ThinkPad, HP Stream7, Surface 3) (wife made me take it off her Surface3). I am going to wait a while longer before doing the SP3 & hope for some fixes to come out. Hurry up and wait again.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded my SP3 to windows 10 and the battery life has been very bad. The fan kicks on quite offer even if I'm just on the web and doing emails. Anyone else experience this? Anything that can be done to make it better?

1 Do a search there are plenty of threads devoted to that problem and you could easily find a solution if you look at a few of my posts.

2 Don't expect people to ruin one thread just to solve your issue as it can kill a thread.

Got to admit personally I like the way the OS looks on my Surface Pro 3 and Stream 7, yes there are some teething problems from a touch point of view but it's only going to get better.

My biggest issues with 10 are not specific to touch (Well the Skype one is) but it's OneDrive and the placeholders or lack of and the stupidity of not turning the Skype phone app into a universal app (Notice I didn't say use the 8.1 Metro app because that didn't work either).

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been in the Win 10 TP preview program since day one and left a ton of feedback in the feedback app, the windows insider forums, twitter, uservoice etc.

MS certainly had enough user feedback during the TP to see they needed to improve Touch mode and they decided not to. You also have site praising Win 10 up and down and people like Paul Thurrott actually saying Win 10 is BETTER for tablets than Win 8 was which is just factually incorrect.

Basically their is a white wash going on where Win 8 is being erased by MS and even the good things it did well on tablets are being changed so people are not reminded of Win 8. It is ridiculous, regardless of the bad PR Win 8 got it did ALOT of things well for Tablets and those idea's should have been carried over and improved for Win 10 and not simply thrown away because they were in Win 8.

Always on Taskbar, No Touch based full screen web browser, removal of alot of touch gestures along with the wonky taskviewer commands, You cannot snap program in 1/3rds it is only half and half whihc is a major step back.

All these things and eve more add up to provide a really bad tablet experience. To me Win 8.1 worked like a Book on a tablet while Win 10 works like a chisel and Hammer. They book is just a much better experience for a tablet device.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have been in the Win 10 TP preview program since day one and left a ton of feedback in the feedback app, the windows insider forums, twitter, uservoice etc.

MS certainly had enough user feedback during the TP to see they needed to improve Touch mode and they decided not to. You also have site parsing Win 10 up and down and people like Paul Thurrott actually saying win 10 is BETTER for tablets than Win 8 was whiohc is just factually incorrect.

Basically their is a white wash going on where Win 8 is being erased by MS and even the good things it did well on tablets are being changed so people are not reminded of Win 8. It is ridiculous, regardless of the bad PR Win 8 got it did ALOT of things well for Tablets and those idea's should have been carried over and improved for Win 10 and not simply thrown away because they were in Win 8.

Always on Taskbar, No Touch based full screen web browser, removal of alot of touch gestures along with the wonky taskviewer commands, You cannot snap program in 1/3rds it is only half and half whihc is a major step back.

All these things and eve more add up to provide a really bad tablet experience. To me Win 8.1 worked like a Book on a tablet while Win 10 works like a chisel and Hammer. They book is just a much better experience for a tablet device.

The OS gets updated with new features anyway.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like whiners don't like change I love my sp2 with 10 on, what you guys are crying about it absolutely ridiculous. Microsoft said edge os going to grow and add touch support! They needed to put out a bullet proof engine first, then add add-ons. Between 8.1 and 10 in tablet mode there are differences but not to warrant going back! Continuum works 90% onwards.

Yes there are battery life and driver issues buts that like all o/s after new release take for example 95-98 xp - 7 7- 8. The firmware update on my sp2 gives me up to 6 hours battery, run edge or anything graphical it's less 2hr.

Either way it's the right direction and I'm happy as its progress over 7+ 8

Crazy, we liked and embraced change which is why we learned to use Win 8.1 and enjoyed it. Then Win 10 comes and tablet mode/touch mode is more like Win 7 then win 8.1. I think it is people like you that could not learn to embrace change.

Their has been no indication from MS they are fixing these issues we are having problems about, in fact MS has more said we aren't changing. Please put up quotes where MS has said Edge is getting a Full screen tocuh mode similar to Metro IE or making other significant Tablet Mode Changes.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The OS gets updated with new features anyway.

No one at MS has addressed when or IF any of the issues we have with Win 10 and Tablet mode or going to be addressed. Alot of us have sent official feedback during the TP, user user voice, insider forums etc. and they have never addressed our feedback.

If anyone at MS would say we understand Tablet mode needs some work and are going to be addressing these issues in the coming months I'm sure some of us would feel alot better about the situation. They ignored us in TP and have yet to address our concerns since launch.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
No one at MS has addressed when or IF any of the issues we have with Win 10 and Tablet mode or going to be addressed. Alot of us have sent offical feedback during the TP, user user voice, insider forums etc. and they have never addressed our feedback.

If anyone at MS would say we understand Tablet mode needs some work and are going to be addressing these issues in the coming months I'm sure some of us would feel alot better about the situation. They ignored us in TP and have yet to address our concerns since launch.

Well there's been talks about an update coming around the time windows 10 mobile is released. There's also Redstone in 2016.

I do miss the ability to snap and adjust 3 windows as well and that always on navigation bar can actually be hidden. Go back to desktop mode, go to the task bar properties and set it on auto hide. That way it will only show if you swipe from the bottom of the screen.
If you don't know how to get there then watch this video.
https://youtu.be/bnd8XFRJqFw

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Autohide also hides the taskbar in desktop mode which is not wanted, and it also sync's that setting to other Win 8/Win 10 pc's unless you turn off theme syncing.

Someone made an app for Win 10 that corrects this issue, hide Taskbar in tablet mode while allowing it in Desktop mode

Nibbler Apps

Also their is ZERO way to emulate the Metro IE touch Web browser of Win 8.1. their is no way to tweak/adjust/ use add-ons to Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Edge/Desktop IE in which you get an easily usable full screen touch web browsing experience with easy touch access to favorites/frequent sites and a pull down address bar etc. I've spent alot of time with all these web browsers attempting to make them work like Metro IE with no luck.

And yea their are alot of talks from MS about updates but none of them have been said to address the Tablet issues we are talking about. People are just assuming these big updates will fix Tablet mode while MS has not and never has said these updates are going to address it.

Before Win 10 went RTM people were saying it's not finished you need to wait to complain about Tablet mode. Now that it is done people are saying not to complain because future updates may fix it. My head is spinning at that, facts are Tablet mode sucks and is not nearly as efficient or well done as Win 8.1 on tablets.

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you don't know how to get there then watch this video.
https://youtu.be/bnd8XFRJqFw
Rebuttal on video:

1. Horizontal vs. Vertical scrolling of start screen: Personally, I find that I have LESS muscle fatigue in my thumbs with horizontal scrolling.

2. System tray/bar: Personally I don't mind it being there. I do like having the date and time visible all the time.

3. Swiping down to close app/program: Yep, it's still there, it's the same, but damn it, on my SP3 it's hit-n-miss to get it happen. It takes multiple attempts for some reason to 'grab' the application to take it all the way to the bottom of the screen to close it out, or to throw it to the side for split screen. Again, you can only have 2 apps in split screen on the SP3, I missed having 3 apps.

4. Task switcher: Yes, swiping in from the left side of the screen brings up running apps/programs. But in order to select which app/program I want, I have to move my entire hand from the edged of the screen to middle of the screen to choose the program. In W8.1, it's a quick swipe in-and-out with my thumb, then scroll up or down, again with thumb, to select running app. Much less muscle movements in W8.1.

5. Apps list: Good idea, again badly implemented. The icons, and touch target areas are to damn small, even with my SP3 set to 150% display. I'm always hitting the 'power' icon instead of the app list icon, or vise versa. Or doG forbid, hitting the start icon. When I finally get to the actual app list, again, the touch targets are to small, and I'm always starting the app/program either above or below the one I want.

6. Programs in Full screen: Yes, running desktop programs in full screen is a good idea, but again poorly implemented because (one more time) the touch target area's are to small.

Example: Will someone please explain to me why when I'm using file explorer in W8.1 I can tap on the various parts of the program and invoke what I was aiming for (say 'new folder'), but in W10 it usually take me 3 to 5 attempts for me to actually hit what I'm aiming for!?!?!?!? It's like W7 all over again on a touch screen.

7. Search: Ok, I'm going to have to take a step out of tablet mode, and go into desktop mode for this complaint. I REALLY miss the idea of just start typing when on the start screen and it automatically opens the search and enters what I'm typing there. W10, I have to tap on the Cortana icon, then start typing.

8. Edge browser: I've said it before, and I'll say it AGAIN: It needs swipe navigation for forward and back and so forth. Also, they need to take a cue from the phone side and move the address bar to the bottom of the screen. Going back and forth from W8.1 and W10, I'm starting to realize that the app/modern version of IE in W8.1 really has a nice touch interface. With the address bar on the bottom, and all the associated action icons down there work really well. Personally in W8.1 with the IE app, I keep the address bar shown at all times, and it works.

Even when I'm using the keyboard with the IE app, keeping the address bar at the bottom of the screen is nice because I can hit the icons with minimal movement from the keyboard to the bottom of the screen. With Edge I have to lift my entire arm to select anything at the top of the screen.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Crazy, we liked and embraced change which is why we learned to use Win 8.1 and enjoyed it. Then Win 10 comes and tablet mode/touch mode is more like Win 7 then win 8.1. I think it is people like you that could not learn to embrace change.

Their has been no indication from MS they are fixing these issues we are having problems about, in fact MS has more said we aren't changing. Please put up quotes where MS has said Edge is getting a Full screen tocuh mode similar to Metro IE or making other significant Tablet Mode Changes.

Wow really, I loved 8.1 more than 7 given any chance of two o/s which makes your judgement lacking the real nature of the problem. I even was looking for charms bar with my mouse on 10 for a few days as I was used to doing things on 8.1. now I use notification centre as this has more features anyway on 10

The edge changes have been drafted in previous windows central articals several times during insider times before the 240 build.

Once again they had to make things basic due to decoupling the o/s for upgradability as a service. Features and new toys/ features will be delivering in the later releases.

Edge also is in deep on the o/s at the moment there was an article two days ago showing new commands for developers explaining this.

Please I urge you to go read articals more, and before you do accusations please check!

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
What other touch based full blown operating system competition are you speaking of? Last I check Apple believed that the OSX environment is for getting work done and that touch isn't needed? If Linux is your cup of tea, get go away.
Given the MS monopoly there's not much choice, but if it was some other product people would be running away. But I'd say on tablets Windows 8.1 gives Windows 10 good run for its money.

Ricanmeng

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I went back to 8.1 on my SP3. I tried for 2 months to like 10, but the underwhelming touch experience, the One Drive issues, Battery Life, and proper wake make this OS feel very Beta. This is there current flagship hardware they sell in their own stores and can't get the basics to work as they are supposed to for an OS launch. Unacceptable for tablet usability. My desktop on 10 feels great and that will stay for now, but no go on my SP3 anymore.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
1 Do a search there are plenty of threads devoted to that problem and you could easily find a solution if you look at a few of my posts.

2 Don't expect people to ruin one thread just to solve your issue as it can kill a thread.

Got to admit personally I like the way the OS looks on my Surface Pro 3 and Stream 7, yes there are some teething problems from a touch point of view but it's only going to get better.

My biggest issues with 10 are not specific to touch (Well the Skype one is) but it's OneDrive and the placeholders or lack of and the stupidity of not turning the Skype phone app into a universal app (Notice I didn't say use the 8.1 Metro app because that didn't work either).

Agreement with you...I like tablet mode...not liking batter life and the lack of PlaceHolders on OneDrive, especially on daughter's Stream 7. OneDrive is rendered useless on the Stream 7.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Wow really, I loved 8.1 more than 7 given any chance of two o/s which makes your judgement lacking the real nature of the problem. I even was looking for charms bar with my mouse on 10 for a few days as I was used to doing things on 8.1. now I use notification centre as this has more features anyway on 10

The edge changes have been drafted in previous windows central articals several times during insider times before the 240 build.

Once again they had to make things basic due to decoupling the o/s for upgradability as a service. Features and new toys/ features will be delivering in the later releases.

Edge also is in deep on the o/s at the moment there was an article two days ago showing new commands for developers explaining this.

Please I urge you to go read articals more, and before you do accusations please check!
You seem to be saying two different things simultaneously....

On the one hand you're saying that Win10 is better on tablets than Win 8/8.1 was.
On other other hand you say that Microsoft had to make "things basic" and will be adding new toys/features in later releases.

Both can't be true.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenisPhils