Windows 10 Tech Preview contains some kind of Preview for Consumer

markm091

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Here's a heads-up for everyone wondering if there's anything "hidden" in the preview: I was poking around using the DISM utility and found that the image contains a second index, called "Windows Technical Preview for Consumer".

dism-wtp.png

I applied this image to a VM and found it is the same build number, but the watermark now displays "Windows Technical Preview for Consumer..."

wtp-index2.png

I haven't noticed anything different yet (no IE12 or Notification Center), but also haven't done too much digging. I guess there's a possibility it unlocks functionality on a tablet, but have no way to be sure.

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Its a WIm with several index choices and actually it depends on what you use to read the index.

When using 7.... with script

I got Preview, Consumer and Core

When using 8..with powershell script
I got Professsional

I really don't think Consumer IS consumer and the official index is Professional as that is the one the key works with and activates.

It is weird I got conflicting readings of valid index's

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering, if you did that change, did you run Windows Update to see if there is anything available ? If there was a change in SKU by doing this, extra options would be installed via Windows Update...

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You don't want consumer it won't activate and had no apparent difference from professional..its probably just there for later upgrades once the release consumer so they don't have to re-do the .wim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss