Windows 10 Tech. Preview installation startup error! :(

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Edit2: Additionally, are you trying to install the 32bit or 64bit tech preview? Do you have hardware virtualization enabled for the VM? Are you running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit or 32bit?

Win 8.1 Pro x86. And I always like 32-bit. By always I mean ALWAYS! :smile:

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Are you trying to install the 64bit version of 10? How much memory are you assigning to the VM? How much RAM do you have physically?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Are you trying to install the 64bit version of 10? How much memory are you assigning to the VM? How much RAM do you have physically?

So, it's proved that no one really understands my childish language! :unhappy:
"And I always like 32-bit. By always I mean ALWAYS! :smile:" - by this sentence I had to say that I always install a 32-bit version of any OS. Same is with Windows 10. I am trying to install a 32-bit version of it.

My physical RAM is of 4GB and I had assigned 2GB (1.5GB at first) of RAM for Windows 10 in VirtualBox.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, right now... only thing I can think of without doing more research is that you have to either enable PAE in Windows or on the VM in VirtualBox settings, or both.

Abhinav Singh7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Deepak no offence but both terry and joe belfiore clearly stated if you dont know how to find out motherboard information and configure processor settings in a VM you shouldnt try the technical preview.

9112Fisher

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Did you manage to install it? :)
I found this on system requirements for Windows 10:

Important notes
Some PC processors and hardware configurations aren’t supported by Technical Preview.

Maybe it's because of that.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Did you manage to install it? :)
I found this on system requirements for Windows 10:

Important notes
Some PC processors and hardware configurations aren?t supported by Technical Preview.

Maybe it's because of that.

I'll try installing it tomorrow. Here, it's midnight now. Thanks though!

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App

lkishor

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
My BIOS can get damaged, my lappy won't boot ever, my files may get corrupted - such things may happen! Joking! :p I'll try it on an external drive. Thanks.
If you can't handle these issues, maybe you are not supposed to run a technical preview, and you can't run windows 10 from an external drive because you will need an active installation to even try windows to go if that thing exists...

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
If you can't handle these issues, maybe you are not supposed to run a technical preview

I am very much able to handle toughest of the tough situations regarding any damage done to my machine. I have experienced such situations many times in the past which I had overcome on my own. I may have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled various OSes on my lappy (including Mac OSX 10.7, Linux and Chromium) several times with each installation becoming a nightmare then not now. I had also played with all the previews of Windows 8 with no issue but on my actual laptop. This thread is indeed needy of a solution for the general error as it appears in the image above.

and you can't run windows 10 from an external drive because you will need an active installation to even try windows to go if that thing exists...

There's no OS which can't be installed on an external hard drive formatted to suit the OS's needs.
I am a computer geek as I describe myself. So, I've this knowledge :smile: :angel:

Thanks though! :grin:

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The Win 10 TP works in VirtualBox 4.3.12 but VMware Player works better for now. The Virtualbox extensions don't work with the Technical Preview. If you really want to use Virtualbox, be sure to configure settings for Windows 8.1 (64 bit) or (32 bit) depending on which one you are installing and set the Processor to Enable PAE/NX.

The rest of the settings should be already set by default by the Windows 8.1 config, like 2048MB base memory, VT-x/AMD-V enabled, nested paging enabled, video memory 128MB, 3D acceleration enabled, 2D video acceleration enabled.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
The Win 10 TP works in VirtualBox 4.3.12 but VMware Player works better for now. The Virtualbox extensions don't work with the Technical Preview. If you really want to use Virtualbox, be sure to configure settings for Windows 8.1 (64 bit) or (32 bit) depending on which one you are installing and set the Processor to Enable PAE/NX.

The rest of the settings should be already set by default by the Windows 8.1 config, like 2048MB base memory, VT-x/AMD-V enabled, nested paging enabled, video memory 128MB, 3D acceleration enabled, 2D video acceleration enabled.

OK, now! I am finally installing the preview on VMware Player.

I had always used the VMware Workstation which uses lot of my memory.. But the Player is just okay. I'll try it out.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
It's now perfectly working fine on my actual PC. It's really good. But it gives me a feel of Windows 8.1! Seems to be another not-so-big update for the previous OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077