WIndows 10 Unable to boot with black screen and blinking cursor?

kyrelia

Jun 16, 2017
Visit site
First of all, thank you to you all for taking your time to help me with this problem that has vexed me tremendously.

I am using a HP Envy Ultrabook, running on Windows 10.

My laptop was working fine but a few days ago while I was using it, everything froze and was unresponsive. Upon forcibly restarting my laptop, a blue screen appeared with the error message "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO".

I searched and found it was something related to booting issues. Automatic Repair, System Restore, System Reset didn't work. I Googled and followed some guides, specifically I have tried bcdboot, bootrec /rebuildcbd, fixboot etc. I have tried using a Windows 10 installation media on a USB drive to fix but didn't work.

Right now, whenever I start up, there will be a temporary blue screen after which the hp logo will load and then finally it will reach a black loading screen where the cursor will appear with a loading circle beside it and blinking.

Right now I am just hoping there's some way I can get the computer to boot again without losing all my data. Hope you guys can help!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
First of all, thank you to you all for taking your time to help me with this problem that has vexed me tremendously.

I am using a HP Envy Ultrabook, running on Windows 10.

My laptop was working fine but a few days ago while I was using it, everything froze and was unresponsive. Upon forcibly restarting my laptop, a blue screen appeared with the error message "BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO".

I searched and found it was something related to booting issues. Automatic Repair, System Restore, System Reset didn't work. I Googled and followed some guides, specifically I have tried bcdboot, bootrec /rebuildcbd, fixboot etc. I have tried using a Windows 10 installation media on a USB drive to fix but didn't work.

Right now, whenever I start up, there will be a temporary blue screen after which the hp logo will load and then finally it will reach a black loading screen where the cursor will appear with a loading circle beside it and blinking.

Right now I am just hoping there's some way I can get the computer to boot again without losing all my data. Hope you guys can help!

What particular HP Envy Ultrabook are you using?

Some models allow you to gain access to the hard drive easily and some do not.

You may need to use a third party partition manager or boot repair tool if you cannot get access to the hard drive.

So essentially what you would be doing is cloning your drive onto a usb external hard drive and then once you have reformatted your laptop you can get access to the cloned files. Or alternatively use a seperate machine if you are not confident that everything has been copied.

What you will need:

A usb stick - 8 gig sticks are fairly cheap.
A external usb hard drive that is larger than your laptops hard drive.
Access to another PC or laptop

Steps below:

1. Download and launch EaseUS Partition Master.

2. Select "Tool" from the menu and select "Create WinPE bootable disk"

3. Create bootable disk of easus partition master.

4. Select create a iso (the last option)

5. Once that's created, select create bootable disk again and this time select the first option USB after you have plugged in your usb stick.

6. Once completed, go to your laptop and press either esc, del, f12, f1 key etc to get into the bios and look for boot options and set the laptop to boot from the usb. Or alternatively if you hold the esc key at boot you may get a boot load option and you can select the usb from there.

7. Once loaded and you have plugged in your usb external hard drive

8. Clone everything onto your usb hard drive and once finished plug in your cloned drive onto the another pc.

9. If you have set a password, you may come across access right issues - here usuall pressing continue forces an access control over right. This will take some time.

If however that doesn't over write you can take control of the directory via user permissions through right clicking the user directory --> properties --> security tab --> edit --> add --> advanced -> find now -> scroll down to the logged in user --> click okay and okay to all dialogue boxes until you see the progress bar.

Once completed you should have now total access to your old files on the external drive.

As best practise, I would recommend once do choose to format your laptop create a seperate install partition and create another seperate partition where you will store your data.

So if this happens again, all you need to is format the operating system partition.

Post back if you have any issues should you choose to go through the hdd cloning method, good luck!

queensoft

Jul 25, 2017
Visit site
Recover files using any Linux Live CD (USB stick in your case).
Pretty much any Linux can boot from a USB stick, access Windows partitions, copy any file to same stick or another one, then just reinstall Windows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720