Windows 10 vs OS X Yosemite (Early Impressions)

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey Everyone,

Right now, I have both OS X Yosemite and Windows 10 on my iMac 2011. Both software is in beta, therefore this is by no means a final review. It's really more of where each company is heading.

OS X Yosemite is a mixed bag for me. On one hand, I like the new look and some of the added features. The new features shows once again why getting a Mac and other Apple products is a benefit - you can often have exclusive features if you do. It's something I think Microsoft should borrow - you have Windows 10 and WP? You should get these benefits that others don't get.

However, for me who is not an IPhone user, I ask what is there for me? There doesn't really seem to be anything new, other than the look. It doesn't help that it's actually slow and lags - again, this is beta software so this is to be expected - but still, it's a concern that I have.

On the positive side, I love Safari's new look. It's slick, and fast. It works like a Web browser should, but then again, IE11 and IE for Windows 10 (haven't checked to see what that version is, assuming IE12) is beautiful and works great.

Windows 10 so far is amazing. My iMac is faster - apps don't freeze, I don't have to force quit apps and I can be so much more productive with Windows 10 with their new snapping features and making it easier (of course, I can manually do that is Yosemite, but Windows makes it automatic).

However, they need to make Metro apps work better in Desktop mode. And, even though I like the new Start menu, I think giving me the choice is better.

Before Windows 8 came out, I actually said that Apple's way of merging it's mobile OS was a better choice than Microsoft's Windows 8. Yes, I love Metro Ui (Modern, I know), but I thought the Windows 8 Start Screen wouldn't work on keyboard and mouse interface. Well, Windows 8 has come and gone and even though I mostly disagree with that, I think most people agree with it.

Windows 10, on the other hand, is a better merger of Metro and Desktop. The vision is finally coming together, and people will love it. With Yosemite, Apple is continuing on their path, but Windows 10 is quickly becoming the choice to get work done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlimPulseWeightLoss