Windows 7 Pro and in my try upgrade to Windows 10 Pro failed on setup

Leonidas Savvides1

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I have an HP Workstation was Windows 7 Pro and in my try upgrade to Windows 10 Pro failed on setup, during upgrade the installation [from media creators tool 1909] retried self-repairs but failed 10 times repair... I forget to create a restore point but have win 7 pro acronis ti 2020
backup of C:/

Or any other action is, to take so repair Windows 7 system so self continues to repair and continue installing/upgrading to Windows 10??? like chkdsk/f C: and continue repair/upgrade??

/// POSTED HERE TOO ////

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-b062-416c-bd07-20f4eb5e6f56?tm=1582087074136

https://www.tenforums.com/general-s...et-set-up-yet-first-time-dvd.html#post1844160

//////////////////////////////

Also, why is the second screenshot below says
Operating system Windows 7 on F:/ system

It was on C:/ the OS Win 7 Pro

can you explain this??

IMG_20200219_080510.jpg

IMG_20200219_080847.jpg

IMG_20200219_081008.jpg

IMG_20200219_081750.jpg

Leonidas Savvides1

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Is any problem try to recover in another HDD put as C:/ --- and current disk keep temporary?
Do you think if the problem is with c:/ drive eg disk with disk errors or sector errors - this problem should appear different than current picture?
if you see the video the errors part scrolling down at times 59sec & 81sec

https://youtu.be/ucV8R71O2rA?t=59

https://youtu.be/ucV8R71O2rA?t=81

can you identify any obvious problem...?
Also why in the second screenshot says: Operating system Windows 7 on F:/ system - It was on C:/, what about F:/...?

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm reaching out to try to get you some more advanced help here. My only thought is to have you do a clean install with your windows 7 disk, IF you still have it. You will probably lose all your data, though.

Leonidas Savvides1

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I tried diskpart

but after restart the same screen - assigned again letter to reserved partition.

i retried diskpart
removed letter

but after Start Repair same thing

i tried chkdsk/f c: but No errors found IN SSD

now what to do? Situation is the same... check errors in hdd and restore acronis backup in hdd 2TB???

530449-179718.jpg

530449-179721.jpg

Leonidas Savvides1

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Upgrade failure I think NVIDIA GTX 260 Card error - may the drivers needed update

I retried Upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro --- failed for second time - Before do this (after the failed first time) I restored backup to SSD Disk where was Win 7 Pro initially and now is the second failure

I think Upgrade assistant PASSED the compatibility test --- what must do now???

====

I think NVIDIA Card error - may the drivers needed update

see screenshots - in series which appear in the screen // first failure sign >>>

viber_image_2020-02-24_20-31-39.jpg

>>>

viber_image_2020-02-24_20-38-51.jpg

appear Windows 7 Login

logged in >>>

Programs Not Open

after msinfo32 in Windows 7 Profor Graphics card getting:

viber_image_2020-02-24_20-57-04.jpg

Needed install/Upgrade driver for NVIDIA card????

Can run after this Windows 10 1909...?

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi, two suggestions I can think of. If your Windows 7 is still in a usable state at this point, try these. But before that, have you checked hp's support website to be sure you have the latest BIOS for your machine?

1) because of the original error of shacct.dll, go to admin command prompt and run "sfc /scannow" to see if it fixes anything.

2) because of the issues with NVIDIA driver, yours is quite old but I would expect it should still work. Try uninstalling completely all NVIDIA software in Windows 7, then try the upgrade. You can go to geforce.com and get the latest driver after a successful install of the OS.

Another note, your concern about the C drive changing drive letter assignments and other partitions having letters that normally don't: that's no problem and is to be expected when you boot from a repair tool.

Good luck!

Leonidas Savvides1

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Now in corrupted Win 7 system from failure upgrade

Along with errors on boot - I can Not open some programs like Adobe PS etc only basic softaware can open like Paint.

before trying upgrade --- the system was OK and I could open all software to work on... Means now failure upgrade happened more damage...

I think I can diskpart/clean SSD and recover back the backup, or try to FIX the corrupted Win 7 Pro system. After upgrade graphic card drivers and upgrade to windows 10 from DVD.
well? you mean the FIX is easier than recovering backup?
Question: Restore points in Windows 7 - seem after upgrade to windows 10 - from Windows 10 or from failed Win 7 ??? Or maybe destroyed in the process of change OS,...?

"...latest BIOS for your machine?" this is important - in other words highly recommended before upgrade to Win 10?

Leonidas Savvides1

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
BIOS needed update? How update BIOS for this Win 7 Pro machine?

Graphics card driver needed upgrade[red arrows]? Can Upgrade from Device Manager[green]?

2020-02-26_19-16-02 (2).png

msinfo32.jpg

Attachments

• msinfo32.jpg
    msinfo32.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I checked https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-xw6600-workstation/3432821 and it shows you have the most recent BIOS for that machine. The rest of the software available to download indicates that machine is around 10 years old or so. It looks like it might have originally come with Windows XP if that tells you anything.

You might need to try an older version of Windows 10, it sounds like your machine is possibly too old to work with the current 1903/1909 versions. I am not sure exactly what criteria Microsoft uses to determine what old hardware to abandon with each new release, but for example I have some old IBM Thinkpad laptops that are stuck at 1709 and refuse to upgrade to anything newer, and what's happening seems consistent with my results trying to upgrade those.

Here's an idea. If you have a spare hard drive lying around, put that in the machine while keeping your existing drive(s) in a safe untouched condition. Boot from the Windows 10 media and see if you can get it to do a clean install. If it crashes in the middle of doing that, then it's not the upgrade itself failing, it's simply that your machine will not run that version of Windows. At that point you start looking for ISOs of previous versions until you find one that will install properly, then put your Windows 7 drive back in and upgrade it from there.

Leonidas Savvides1

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
this
HP xw6600 Workstation System BIOS 01.46 Rev. A 3.1 MB Oct 16, 2012
is the same as 01.46 Not with Rev.A???

Also APPLIED ALL WINDOWS 7 PRO UPDATES and Graphics card driver Not needed update

Do you think if try now UPGRADE TO Windows 10 Pro should be succeeded??? So you recommend trying another HDD rather the SSD if goes to Windows 10 1909 then if all ok try the SSD?

During upgrade should choose download updates, drivers during installation?

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
So you recommend trying another HDD rather the SSD if goes to Windows 10 1909 then if all ok try the SSD?

During upgrade should choose download updates, drivers during installation?

Yes, my recommendation at this point is to disconnect the existing drive, put another in its place and try to install Windows 10 from bootable media as a clean install.

If the latest version crashes during install, then work backwards until you find an older release that will install properly and don't upgrade it past that.

This exercise will determine what versions of Windows 10, if any, your machine is capable of running.

If you go thru the above steps and have a working copy of Windows 10, you could then put your original drive back in place and attempt to upgrade it using the version which worked for the clean install.

Sorry it took so long to reply but I'm not here every day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12