Windows Hello on Lumia 930?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I think it's unlikely. It seems that Windows hello requires at least an iris scanner or an equivalent Intel-based optical device, and the Lumia 930 doesn't have at least any of these two.

Then again I could be wrong; I was expecting Windows Hello to work with my Lenovo laptop which came with an HD Webcam, but after seeing that it wasn't working, a little research here and there suggests that at least those two hardware are required for Windows hello to work.

But if something similar to Lenovo Veriface, which doesn't require an iris scanner or infrared camera and works with an ordinary webcam, is developed to work with Windows hello then we just might see it working on almost every Lumia device.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I think it's unlikely. It seems that Windows hello requires at least an iris scanner or an equivalent Intel-based optical device, and the Lumia 930 doesn't have at least any of these two.

Then again I could be wrong; I was expecting Windows Hello to work with my Lenovo laptop which came with an HD Webcam, but after seeing that it wasn't working, a little research here and there suggests that at least those two hardware are required for Windows hello to work.

But if something similar to Lenovo Veriface, which doesn't require an iris scanner or infrared camera and works with an ordinary webcam, is developed to work with Windows hello then we just might see it working on almost every Lumia device.

Thanks for your answer!

That's what I hope for. Face recognition service that would substitute Windows Hello feature on older devices... Though I don't know if it's technically possible and how could we make use of it. ;)

It might be just another way to personalize lock screen as well - an option to add a welcome message with your profile picture/name.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your answer!

That's what I hope for. Face recognition service that would substitute Windows Hello feature on older devices... Though I don't know if it's technically possible and how could we make use of it. ;)

It might be just another way to personalize lock screen as well - an option to add a welcome message with your profile picture/name.

Well, you're not alone in hoping for this face-recognition feature, but at the end of the day it all still depends on whether or not Microsoft will develop this feature for our aging devices or entice us to upgrade our devices for the newer phones that are capable of full Windows Hello.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Since windows hello beta worked on 950 (as seen in yesterday's NY press event), I am quite positive 930's HW is capable of working with it aswel.

Its only a matter if m$ wants to make it happen or not.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Oh, was not aware of that... the iris scanner is only good for windows hello, right, or does it have any other function?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte