"Windows Phone 7 Dials Up Success"

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone 7 dials up success - BostonHerald.com

June 13--Windows Phone 7, where have you been all my life? Or at least for the past five years, and a struggle between moderate satisfaction with Blackberrys and the constant lure of an iPhone.

I've tested the HTC Trophy, available from Verizon, for the last couple weeks. At first, it's a little weird to look at a "desktop" that isn't a screen filled with icons and programs that you need to open and close constantly. After a short while, the WP7 "live tiles" pinned to the screen make so much sense that you wonder why you ever toiled away with those pesky desktop icons.

This type of interface is fluid, not static. So as the information coming into your phone changes -- like e-mails, friends' status updates and calendar appointments -- so do the little windows on the screen, making it less necessary to constantly open and close applications.

The subtle design choices by Microsoft are intuitive without sacrificing any aesthetic appeal. For instance, every key press on the on-screen keyboard makes a slightly different sound. Over time, users almost subconsciously use these cues to help type accurately.

There are features so convenient about this phone that it seems like most other platforms (cough, iPhone), have simply been building on popular features without ever stopping to think whether there's a wholesale better way to do things.

For instance, WP7 was the first to launch a one-touch camera that allows the user to take a photo by pressing a dedicated camera button that allows you to snap a pic even while the rest of the phone is locked, a feature that Apple has now commandeered.

Facing the phone downward on a table during a call will automatically trigger speaker mode. If the phone's ringing, placing it face-down will trigger silence. If it's in your pocket, it will ring louder, with the sound decreasing as you pull it to your ear. Those features are thanks to HTC, and are available on the brand's Android phones as well.

WP7 currently has over 20,000 applications, and this is growing faster than the Android marketplace did at this point in its life cycle. The overall quality of the applications is typically a lot higher than the corresponding Android apps, and on-par with the iPhone equivalents. Shopsavvy, Netflix, Bank of America, Kindle, Shazam, Yelp, and Slacker Radio are some of the most popular apps, and they're all available on the WP7 platform.

Your contacts are not organized in the simple address book fashion. They pool information aggregated from Facebook and other social media apps, displaying it within your contacts folder. In the next update of the phone, which is dubbed "Mango," the latest emails and text messages sent by your contacts will be included in that central clearinghouse, dubbed the "people hub," as well.

In terms of music, you can stream a nearly unlimited repertoire of music after signing up for Microsoft's Zune pass, anywhere from $12 to $15 a month, which also includes a free album download each month. The deal is so much cheaper than iTunes that you wonder why it hasn't taken off.

Reception is crisp and clear, and battery life is better than most Android devices, though probably still lagging behind the latest iPhone. You can easily get through a full day of activity without having to re-charge, a surprising advantage for a phone that packs so many features. Bottom line: After much searching for a phone to replace my clunky Blackberry, I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing the WP7 from Microsoft's online store in the near future

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ikkf

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

The subtle design choices by Microsoft are intuitive without sacrificing any aesthetic appeal. For instance, every key press on the on-screen keyboard makes a slightly different sound. Over time, users almost subconsciously use these cues to help type accurately.

Huh?

Facing the phone downward on a table during a call will automatically trigger speaker mode. If the phone's ringing, placing it face-down will trigger silence. If it's in your pocket, it will ring louder, with the sound decreasing as you pull it to your ear.

What?

I must test both of those things.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Huh?

What?

I must test both of those things.
What I think he meant about the sounds for key presses was for symbol keys like the return (enter) key, smiley key, period key, comma key etc. The second thing about the ringer silencing when you turn it around is an HTC exclusive app called "attentive phone".

zreddog

May 23, 2011
Visit site
What I think he meant about the sounds for key presses was for symbol keys like the return (enter) key, smiley key, period key, comma key etc. The second thing about the ringer silencing when you turn it around is an HTC exclusive app called "attentive phone".

Ignoring an incoming call or silencing the ringer on an incoming call by flipping over the phone worked on my trophy before I installed "attentive phone" I havent tested the other features since installing though.

Chris

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

For instance, WP7 was the first to launch a one-touch camera that allows the user to take a photo by pressing a dedicated camera button that allows you to snap a pic even while the rest of the phone is locked, a feature that Apple has now commandeered.

I don't know what Apple was thinking here. They couldn't just let Microsoft have this feature.:mad:

In terms of music, you can stream a nearly unlimited repertoire of music after signing up for Microsoft's Zune pass, anywhere from $12 to $15 a month, which also includes a free album download each month. The deal is so much cheaper than iTunes that you wonder why it hasn't taken off.

I hope this becomes available to more countries, cause I keep hearing about how good it is, but I can't enjoy the experience. C'mon MS, let's get some progress going on this feature for everyone.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
What I think he meant about the sounds for key presses was for symbol keys like the return (enter) key, smiley key, period key, comma key etc.

When I browsed the registry, trying to see if I could change the keyboard sound volume (or better, change to haptic feedback) I found four distinct sound files. Don't remember them all now, but; letter keys, space, backspace and something else.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12