Windows Phone 8.1 preview for Developers

Keith Petrovich

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
How soon before the actual updates do we developers get the previews? In this case windows 8.1, if we were to get it earlier than everyone else. Does anyone know any info?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Windows PHONE 8.1

It really varies. "Developers" get it ASAP. Then the manufacturers could add their special sauce or whatever and then fire it off to carriers. Depending on the carrier it could be relatively quick to a wait of several months.

In the case of Update 3, it was made available in October 2013 I believe, and Nokia added black and rolled it out alongside official U3 just this winter. It did pop up on others like the 8X who don't have as many extra custom stuff like Nokia quicker.

Keith Petrovich

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Windows PHONE 8.1

It really varies. "Developers" get it ASAP. Then the manufacturers could add their special sauce or whatever and then fire it off to carriers. Depending on the carrier it could be relatively quick to a wait of several months.

In the case of Update 3, it was made available in October 2013 I believe, and Nokia added black and rolled it out alongside official U3 just this winter. It did pop up on others like the 8X who don't have as many extra custom stuff like Nokia quicker.

Sorry about the title, misleading, I know. Yeah, with a rumored release of 8.1 for WP around March 11th, I wonder when we will get 8.1. It's going to be a nice change

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm one in the camp hoping for developer bits at BUILD. But no, developers do not always get the updates early. WP8 is a prime example. You only got to take part in the WP8 early release if you were a big-time developer, or had some kind of in. I was one of those ticked off developers who got it when I bought a new phone, and had to wait until Verizon launched the 822. Most of us didn't even get the SDK early.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm one in the camp hoping for developer bits at BUILD. But no, developers do not always get the updates early. WP8 is a prime example. You only got to take part in the WP8 early release if you were a big-time developer, or had some kind of in. I was one of those ticked off developers who got it when I bought a new phone, and had to wait until Verizon launched the 822. Most of us didn't even get the SDK early.

That was different. They brought back a Developer Preview fyi. And you don't have to be a big shot. Anyone can enroll for free as a matter of fact. You can see the thread on it in this forum. Starting with update 3, you could get the update earlier than the official rollout. WP8.1 will be the same. It's already basically official. WP8.1 preview will roll out late March or early April, and official rollout will follow by about a month.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That was different. They brought back a Developer Preview fyi. And you don't have to be a big shot. Anyone can enroll for free as a matter of fact. You can see the thread on it in this forum. Starting with update 3, you could get the update earlier than the official rollout. WP8.1 will be the same. It's already basically official. WP8.1 preview will roll out late March or early April, and official rollout will follow by about a month.
Ummm..... Yeah.... That was back on October 14. Running it since that day. Thanks.

That's not what developers really want, though. Developers want access to the SDK for updates, which has not been brought back. So at this point, if you're wanting a "real" developer preview, you do have to be a big shot. This little thing we got on October 14 is nothing more than the enthusiast program that MS touted back in the prior October when they said that they'd create an enthusiast program for those who want updates earlier.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Ummm..... Yeah.... That was back on October 14. Running it since that day. Thanks.

That's not what developers really want, though. Developers want access to the SDK for updates, which has not been brought back. So at this point, if you're wanting a "real" developer preview, you do have to be a big shot. This little thing we got on October 14 is nothing more than the enthusiast program that MS touted back in the prior October when they said that they'd create an enthusiast program for those who want updates earlier.

Oh I see, thanks for the clarification. I feel like they might release the SDK for developers this time around since WP8.1 is a major update. GDR3 didn't really have too many app-breaking api changes so I think that's why they held off. This will be a lot bigger, and since it will be announced/released at build, they will probably have some sort of beta SDK published at the same time I would hope.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh I see, thanks for the clarification. I feel like they might release the SDK for developers this time around since WP8.1 is a major update. GDR3 didn't really have too many app-breaking api changes so I think that's why they held off. This will be a lot bigger, and since it will be announced/released at build, they will probably have some sort of beta SDK published at the same time I would hope.
7.5 to 8 was a bigger change than this could possibly be, and they didn't let most of us in on the SDK until AFTER WP8 was launched. Just sayin'..... I'm not holding my breath.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
7.5 to 8 was a bigger change than this could possibly be, and they didn't let most of us in on the SDK until AFTER WP8 was launched. Just sayin'..... I'm not holding my breath.

That's true, but at that point, there were no phones that could even run WP8. Which obviously made it a very different situation. Anyway, we'll see.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That's true, but at that point, there were no phones that could even run WP8. Which obviously made it a very different situation. Anyway, we'll see.
True, and at that point we knew that. But we could have used the emulators with the new SDK in order to update apps. But yes, we'll see, this time around.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
As much as I want access to the 8.1 bits it's not like you can add new api features to an app and publish it until the general public has the update installed which may be several months after April 2. I know I want to add full time background processing, access to incoming phone calls, SMS and emails for my Pebble watch apps. I'm not even sure those features will be included in 8.1.

It kinda sucks to say, "I could make your watch work like on IOS and Android but your gonna have to wait until some guy at your carrier, who could care less, gives the OK."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99