Windows phone 8: one hand curved keyboard ?

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
u1EaT.jpg

The image above is claimed to be out of a Microsoft Research presentation and is showing off what seems to be a curved SIP, an input method employing a “phone-type” keyboard rather than a QWERTY one, with several letter being joined (three or four).
The purpose of such a possible future keyboard would be a simple one: one-handed operation. Our guess is as good as yours on whether this is (or will turn out to be) real or not, as a feature of Windows Phone 8 — and who knows, Windows Phone 7.8? Of course, it should have a stellar prediction and correction engine — and normally, a toggle switch for left and right hand operation. Would typing on such a keyboard be appealing to you?
Note: the skeptical among you will immediately notice that the text is not aligned with the top edge of the phone (and the keyboard with some of the edges), and they’ll be right. Fake or not, the idea is kind of outrageously cool.

Microsoft Preparing Curved Keyboard In Windows Phone 8 For One-Handed Operation? | Pocketnow

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I find the limiting factor for one-handed typing to be the speed of my thumb, so not sure how much this will improve things. For some reason, Windows Phone's auto-correct is almost always spot on with my one-handed mistakes.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I find the limiting factor for one-handed typing to be the speed of my thumb, so not sure how much this will improve things. For some reason, Windows Phone's auto-correct is almost always spot on with my one-handed mistakes.
well it is optional So it's perfectly fine for an adding thing. it;s for those people who like txtin with 1 thumb. it's bloody useful for me

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the way my thumb moves when holding a phone, that looks like a brilliant idea.

I would need to try it in real life though, as how does it effect the screen display? How does it feel looking at a horizontal input prompt, and a diagonal keyboard?

Think i'd still prefer an old skool physical numeric keypad for most things.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the way my thumb moves when holding a phone, that looks like a brilliant idea.

I would need to try it in real life though, as how does it effect the screen display? How does it feel looking at a horizontal input prompt, and a diagonal keyboard?

Think i'd still prefer an old skool physical numeric keypad for most things.
I agree. this is what you call creativity guys. they really need to patent this right away!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's an interesting idea and it could be true.

Then i think, how many people like a T9 keyboard for typing? How many people will like a T9 keyboard setup like a regular keyboard? How much money would they spend developing this (it's going to be a couple of hundred of dollars a day just to have one guy work on it)?

I don't know. I guess we have to wait and see.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Then i think, how many people like a T9 keyboard for typing? How many people will like a T9 keyboard setup like a regular keyboard? How much money would they spend developing this (it's going to be a couple of hundred of dollars a day just to have one guy work on it)?

I don't know. I guess we have to wait and see.

I'm wondering if it would be T9 or fly out keys like they have on the WP7 Japanese keyboards? http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...rd-allows-for-quick-typing-in-japanese-video/

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
It's fake. The phrase, "Curved to match thumb" is a strange choice of words (how is it "matching" it exactly?). Also, the text isn't level with the screen edge. It looks hastily photoshopped.

Even if it is only an internal MS document, it wouldn't have been hard to make the mock-up look good. And it doesn't.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's fake. The phrase, "Curved to match thumb" is a strange choice of words (how is it "matching" it exactly?). Also, the text isn't level with the screen edge. It looks hastily photoshopped.

Maybe "curved to match the motion of a thumb" would be a better choice of words. It does look as though it would match the range of motion quite well.

As far as a bad Photoshop job, if it's real, it's probably someone's pitch of the idea without spending hours of programming. So yeah, a quick photoshop to get the idea across without resorting to a hand drawing on a napkin.

I have no issues with one-handed use on my HD7... If it's real I hope they give you the option NOT to use it.

Yes, option to disable and hopefully you could swap from left to right hand versions fairly easily.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely a cool idea and if it's well-implemented it could be awesome. Some real innovation is always nice to see. I would try it for sure. It's obviously not going to be the default, so no worries there.

havok13888

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I definitely want to try this. Simply because it might be a neat little experiment who knows it might work. But I want one thing from this keyboard, a smart/fast way to switch back to the regular keyboard.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm very excited, I hate the current keyboard so knowing that they are improving it and going where no one else use going makes me psych.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm very excited, I hate the current keyboard so knowing that they are improving it and going where no one else use going makes me psych.
Truly thought I was the only person in WP Central who didn't like the keyboard. I do not hate it, but I am not in love with it. Sure would like directional arrows to get that curser where I want it without pinching-to-zoom and several attempts to "tap it" there. There are a couple other dislikes, but I realize I am in the minority.

As for this? Count me in for disbelief. Maybe a leaked image from a brain-storming session. Sure doesn't look real or actually on the screen.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The auto-correct feature is the one I despise the most. Being bilingual I find myself using the back arrow WAYYYYY too much. That is one feature that needs an on/off toggle. WP7 simply doesn't understand Spanglish, and don't get the wife started on this. She's hurled her DVP across the room many times. Thank God for Gorilla glass.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The auto-correct feature is the one I despise the most. Being bilingual I find myself using the back arrow WAYYYYY too much. That is one feature that needs an on/off toggle. WP7 simply doesn't understand Spanglish, and don't get the wife started on this. She's hurled her DVP across the room many times. Thank God for Gorilla glass.

I sometimes text in Taglish (Tagalog-English). I just switch to Tagalog keyboard on the fly when I do, so it doesn't autocorrect.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Unless a device comes with physical buttons (back, home, search), I keep on hitting the seach/home key when playing games, so something like this would be pointless unless it disables the buttons while in use...

I have a trophy, is just me who has this issue ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss