Windows Phone & Ipad

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in getting a tablet, my intentions was to go all windows and get a windows tablet and a windows 8 computer. However, playing with the surface and other W8 Tablets I feel a little let down and limited as to what I'm able to do. I was wondering how good does Windows Phone (as I have a 920) and a iPad (interested in the mini 64) would work hand in hand?

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
You're thinking about spending $529 on an 8 inch tablet? That's insane, unless you've got more money than common sense. If you're not happy with the current Windows offerings, I'd recommend a Nexus 7 to get your by for now. It's MUCH more affordable and has a better display than the iPad mini.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Except for Office, the iPad is a lot more capable. That's not arguable.

WP8 works fine with iPad, they have a Skydrive app and there are other 3rd party apps to show your skydive pictures if you want to use one of those. I've had no problems with the combo, I use it too. I use Evernote, OneNote, and Skydrive on both devices.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh really? When did the iPad sprout a usb port and video out and the ability to run the os used by 90% of the world? The iPad is a ****ing toy. I can manage my wp device on my surface as a removable drive. Can you do that on an iPad? When the surface pro comes out I can manage an IPAD. Don't sit there with a smug look and say the ipad is more capable.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
400000 apps in the app store have never been downloaded. Let's stfu about apps...it is a stupid and useless bullet point.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the size of an 8" iPad seeing as how my laptop will no more than 15" and my cellphone is 4". The iPad for me is simply down to that it will be mainly for entertainment and school. So for school I need to be able to take notes, browse the internet and wirelessly print from the device. I don't know if there is a app for that in the W8 Store (Someone can correct me if wrong.). Entertainment wise, I use YouTube alot, visit alot of tech sites and on spare time play games. From my understanding games have been slow to come in on W8 and google's anti-Windows campaign is hampering alot of things, mainly due that I still use some of their services. I'm glad that there is a SKYDRIVE app as that will be mostly needed hopefully Office for Ipad comes soon. The USB support debate is a good one however I don't plan on carrying a mouse around and I don't use USB drives but it would hamper me in getting things off due to everything being done through ITunes instead of connecting and opening through File Explorer like WP8.

Sorry for the long Wall of Text.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You will pay monthly for the privilege of editing office documents on ios. Last time I checked there is this thing called a web browser you can type www.youtube.com into and it will go to youtube.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't pushing you towards a Windows tablet. I wouldn't buy one right now. I just think that the iPad mini is a particular ripoff, especially when comparing the specs to the Nexus 7.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay thanks for telling me about wirelessly printing never heard about it. And about the Nexus 7, I don't like anything Android. I use some of their services but hate that OS. What's the deal with the battery life on the Surface? Didnt know it was monthly fee to edit on iOS that's terrible but makes sense from Microsoft POV. And I understand the web browser but I prefer apps mainly because apps well done like (Metrotube) make things a little more easier.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have an ipad mini that I received as a gift, it is okay as a windows companion. Sky drive works well, as does one note and Smart Glass. It is more of a toy than a real productivity tool I feel though. I find the interface amazingly dull, the whole thing is an app drawer and interactions feel deliberately slowed down for the sake of smoothness.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the size of an 8" iPad seeing as how my laptop will no more than 15" and my cellphone is 4". The iPad for me is simply down to that it will be mainly for entertainment and school. So for school I need to be able to take notes, browse the internet and wirelessly print from the device. I don't know if there is a app for that in the W8 Store (Someone can correct me if wrong.). Entertainment wise, I use YouTube alot, visit alot of tech sites and on spare time play games. From my understanding games have been slow to come in on W8 and google's anti-Windows campaign is hampering alot of things, mainly due that I still use some of their services. I'm glad that there is a SKYDRIVE app as that will be mostly needed hopefully Office for Ipad comes soon. The USB support debate is a good one however I don't plan on carrying a mouse around and I don't use USB drives but it would hamper me in getting things off due to everything being done through ITunes instead of connecting and opening through File Explorer like WP8.

Sorry for the long Wall of Text.

Just to sort of nitpit at your bullet points in there:

1.) Take Notes - OneNote, Word... Powerpoint has the notes section to type on slides professors give out if you need that.
2.) Browser the internet - IE10 both desktop and modern UI versions. Supports flash (ipad does not).
3.) Wirelessly print - This is easy. have anything open that is printable (webpage, word doc, etc), select devices and the wireless printer. then click number of copies, etc etc. and hit print.. This feature is not available for a lot of printers on the ipad unless they support apple's proprietary printing protocols. My surface found my HP wireless printer the day I turned the thing on without me doing anything Where the ipad did not.

4.) Youtube... there is no official youtube app but there is the website.. and 3rd party youtube apps.
5.) tech sites - well this goes back to browse the internet.. there is a browser and you can pin your favorite sites to your start menu.. or get one of the many feed reading apps on the windows store.
6.) Games - games are slow to the platform? I guess.. I mean it did just come out in the sense that games can take awhile to develop, especially if you are a small company or single developer doing it on the side. However there still are a ton of games out that I think are amazing. Depends on what you're looking for. Plus many games have Xbox integration for achievements if you're into that stuff.. What games are you looking for? We have everything from angry birds, cut the rope, and wheres the water.. to MS specifics like jetpack joyride (one of my favorite and most addicting games ever!) to radiant defense (I love a good tower defense and this one is awesome!)

I don't believe the windows 8 app store (since RT and x86 windows 8 share the same windows store and things you buy in one you don't have to buy again for the other). is available to view online like the WP8 app store is but I may be mistaken so correct me if im wrong.

Chances are if you buy an ipad, you will be going out to the stores. Stop by a best buy or staples or some other store that will have desktop (or the surface) model available and connected to the network. You can take a look in the store and see what they have available and what apps they are "missing" if there are any you really like for iOS or Android that you really want on a win8 device.

EDIT
just saw you reply after I wrote mine.. so to answer this question:
What's the deal with the battery life on the Surface?
simply put: amazing.. it's rated at 10 hours.. and I use mine daily.. granted I work 8 hours a day and sleep 8 hours a day.. and I don't use it the other 8 hours straight... but i'd say I use it a good 6-7 hours over 2ish days before I need to charge it.. it lasts a very long time.. check the surface RT forum on this site and you'll see everyone talking about how amazing the battery life is.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There are no apps the surface is missing because most apps are just watered down versions of their web properties.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I say stay away from Windows RT......and get a Genuine Windows 8 (64-bit)
I just got today 😎
- Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro "XE700T1C"
- 11.6" 1080p,

Best of both worlds and I'm loving it 😎
Don't get some cut down hardware /software Tablet!
Don't waste your time or money on iCrap...

My second choice is:
- MS Surface Pro
- 10.6" 1080p
But not out yet and ATIV Smart PC Pro has a bigger display 😎

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with travisel.. I don't think the windows RT is bad at all... it depends what you need it for.. the main selling point on the pro is the touch sensitive pen and legacy programs.. It depends on what you'll use it for.. There is nothing I need to install on the tablet that I wont have with the RT. and I don't need a pressure sensitive pen (as I have a regular stylus). You can still set onenote to write mode and write with the stylus, just no palm blocking.

Since office comes with the RT, you don't need the x86 version to get that. Plus with my desktop being windows 8, I can setup remote desktop to connect to my desktop from anywhere. And using the touch on the surface works great with the OS since I can use the desktop as a touch screen..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)