Windows Phone NFC - Useless?

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
My phone... the Nokia 920 already sort of does this on its own.... its like it has multiple profiles... when I am not in my car it has my normal volume setting (around 5)... but when I get into my car and it connects to the Bluetooth there it automatically switches to volume 30 (or where ever I last had it when in the car)... then once out of the car the volume automatically reverts to the level it was before... I don't recall it doing this before the portico update.

Really? OK, WTH?... I don't recall mine doing that... Which annoys me because I have to take it out of my pocket to increase the volume and sometimes I forget... Now I am wondering if it was a case of me having to do it with my previous phone and maybe I just have been doing it for this one... Or maybe your stereo does something than mine does not and interacts with your phone to increase the volume... I'll see what happens next time I get into my car.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
My phone... the Nokia 920 already sort of does this on its own.... its like it has multiple profiles... when I am not in my car it has my normal volume setting (around 5)... but when I get into my car and it connects to the Bluetooth there it automatically switches to volume 30 (or where ever I last had it when in the car)... then once out of the car the volume automatically reverts to the level it was before... I don't recall it doing this before the portico update.

My goodness, you were right. I just had to go out to my car and try. :D ... My HTC Arrive did not do this for me (I have an L920 now). This is great!!!! Thank you for your post!

nokiageek

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think its useless, I think the issue is its a new technology that hasn't been adapted yet.

I don't think it us that hard to work out, it either Opens up an application, link etc or it doesn't.

That us the way it has been written to the Os, so it is the decision if Microsoft to have it that way on Windows Phone.

It is like pointing your remote at your tv to turn the volume up and than getting asked if you want to do it. Of coarse you want to do it you wouldn't press it otherwise. So the nfc on Windows phone is errm, useless
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Foroplex beta

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My goodness, you were right. I just had to go out to my car and try. :D ... My HTC Arrive did not do this for me (I have an L920 now). This is great!!!! Thank you for your post!

Does this on my 8x as well - as soon as the bluetooth is paired in my car or to my jambox the volume automatically goes to 30, alarms are always 30 and its set at 12 all day for music and notifications

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Does this on my 8x as well - as soon as the bluetooth is paired in my car or to my jambox the volume automatically goes to 30, alarms are always 30 and its set at 12 all day for music and notifications

Nice, so maybe like format mentions it could be a Portico thing. :D

(Now you're goint to tell me you don't have Portico). In that case it might be a WP8 thing. :p

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice, so maybe like format mentions it could be a Portico thing. :D

(Now you're goint to tell me you don't have Portico). In that case it might be a WP8 thing. :p

No ive got portico - guess its just one of the little things the OS does that nobody notices until it gets bought up.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
NFC isn't a killer feature yet, but nevertheless I find the small things it does quite useful. I use it fairly often to share apps with other WPs, and less often to share contacts or pictures.

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

No, it's not Portico, I noticed the separate BT volume levels on my 822 long before I recently got Portico.

I could have swore that it worked with plugged in headphones too but I just tested it and it doesn't work :/

ListenUpGuys

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
FinancialP
That doesn't even make sense. Why spread such misinformation? There is no way for a tag to scan your phone and receive your card details. There isn't even a way for a payment receiver to do this unless you approve it.

That's what he said: that the phone is more secure than a card. Read much? I can't remember ever seeing someone use the word "misinformation" without them themselves having misread and/or misunderstood the point of what they're referring to. Maybe it's just you trolling the whole Internet in a long-term project?

Give the guy an apology then go and sit in the corner.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
FinancialP

That's what he said: that the phone is more secure than a card. Read much? I can't remember ever seeing someone use the word "misinformation" without them themselves having misread and/or misunderstood the point of what they're referring to. Maybe it's just you trolling the whole Internet in a long-term project?

Give the guy an apology then go and sit in the corner.

Huh? The guy said the tag can get your banking information. That's physically and technically impossible. Where was I wrong?

I hope you just misread.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think NFC is useless at all. To me it is how Bluetooth was when it dropped. Not much was known about its application but as it improved more and more applications opened up to grow the facility. Nice of Nokia to offer a "demo" of NFC but once this improves and developers find a way to make a buck or name for themselves building for it, it'll be big. What I was hoping for in the Nokia app was a way to "create" and not so much pre-defined NFC tags. What I want more than ever was to drop my phone volume to 3 at my desk. Then up to 24 when I'm in my car. Its not here yet. I think we'll get it.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It should be prompt and automatic toggle or no prompt and manual toggle. Not both.
My N9 pairs (first time) and connects automaticall to any a2dp bluetooth profile by the scan of the tag. Thats it. WP8 is atleast 3 steps behind.
Hey,

I understand somehow it could be a security issue, but Microsoft and Nokia have plenty of resources to address this situation. At least I can think of a few ways to fix it, but of course i dont work for Microsoft.

But then what I dont understand why the phone requires User interaction to "accept" the query? Like preventing people to open your WIFI page ? haha..

The Prompt its a good idea, and prevents unrequested queries, and i think it should be good enough to allow access to a few areas..

Another solution could be phonewide tags, where u program a task that only works with your phone, that would be even more secure..

But somehow no one can think of that at Microsoft..

anon(5468609)

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say... It's a bit lame. They need to:
1) Allow you to disable the confirmation for some tags since it stupid.
2) Allow the tags to launch from the lock screen or even standby.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I got my hopes up in the last couple of days, now after looking in to the WP NFC capabilities, I'm disappointed. I was REALLY hoping that I could use this with an app like "I'm Here." I often use "I'm Here" to check in with my wife by sending my location info when I'm out on bike rides (typically 40-60 miles) - I would have LOVED being able to put a sticker on my stem so that I could just tap and have it text her with my current coordinates. Unfortunately, two steps sounds like it's one step too many...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria