Windows Phone: The little engine that could

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
For years the naysayers have predicted the death of Windows Phone... Yet that little engine keeps chugging.

Against seemingly insurmountable odds this platform keeps chugging.

Windows 10 will be the vindication for this little engine!

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Let's hope users who upgrade to Windows 10 like the interface and the universal operating system advantage on their PC and want that on their phone.

jack dempsey

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
On the contrary, It's hard to understand how Microsoft couldn't penetrate the smartphone market. They had a big presence in mobile with Windows CE, they had almost a monopoly on desktop operating systems, and they have so many complementary assets like services and software.They even payed to ship the phones with a huge brand like Nokia and they got top quality hardware for the OS.

There is something fundamentally wrong with Windows Phone that causes the strong rejection of people. According to the ex Microsoft designer the UI could be the main problem.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
On the contrary, It's hard to understand how Microsoft couldn't penetrate the smartphone market. They had a big presence in mobile with Windows CE, they had almost a monopoly on desktop operating systems, and they have so many complementary assets like services and software.They even payed to ship the phones with a huge brand like Nokia and they got top quality hardware for the OS.

There is something fundamentally wrong with Windows Phone that causes the strong rejection of people. According to the ex Microsoft designer the UI could be the main problem.

No. IIt'sthe lack apps

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm still given pause considering Microsoft seems to really be hedging its bets by making all these apps great on competing platforms and have their apps stock on some android handsets. It just seems like nadellas heart isn't in it and he realizes that they may need to move on someday. That's just my opinion.

That said I am totally buying a 640 when it's available. Seems like a awesome little device.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
[Somewhat off topic]
Users on the other two large platforms can't even remain calm when facing off sometimes going volcanic.
In my user situation I would say I'm more starved for applicable new devices more than apps or OS upgrading.

If I were able to concentrate more I would simply enjoy developing apps designed for me versus profit.
All this analysis and debate is wonderful it just doesn't mean much to myself as a low level older user.

The UI is easy
Services are good
MS phones are cheap
The OS at 8.1 for me is reliable
I get freebies via Bing searches

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
On the contrary, It's hard to understand how Microsoft couldn't penetrate the smartphone market. They had a big presence in mobile with Windows CE

Except back in the day, the smartphone market was much smaller. Take 2008 for example, total smartphone sales from all vendors was 139 million. Now Google is probably activating that many Android phones in a day. And most of those Windows Mobiles sales were to business owners and a few hardcore tech enthusiasts. Microsoft never really cracked the consumer market.

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site

Can't agree more with. And it's not just the lack of apps. Changing the UI might help, but there is more fundamental things that needs to be fixed in the OS.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
[Somewhat off topic]
Users on the other two large platforms can't even remain calm when facing off sometimes going volcanic.
In my user situation I would say I'm more starved for applicable new devices more than apps or OS upgrading.

If I were able to concentrate more I would simply enjoy developing apps designed for me versus profit.
All this analysis and debate is wonderful it just doesn't mean much to myself as a low level older user.

The UI is easy
Services are good
MS phones are cheap
The OS at 8.1 for me is reliable
I get freebies via Bing searches

Well I suppose the easiest way would be to design the app for iOS and Android first so you can get the revenue and then when you have the time, go for Windows Phone... or Windows 10 by the time the app is done :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)