Windows Phones in 2020

rocketpoe

Nov 5, 2019
Visit site
I currently use a WM 8.1 Nokia and I was going to buy a WM10 phone but I read where support will be ending at the end of 2019. Many features (Cortana) and apps (Facebook, Twitter) don't work on my WM 8.1. Will they work if I upgrade to WM10 or will it be more of the same? I don't want to go to Android or iPhone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Will they work if I upgrade to WM10 or will it be more of the same?

W10M will be more of the same, just a step or two behind. You'll soon be where you are now with WM8.1. And in some areas they're the same as far as support.

I don't want to go to Android or iPhone.

It's either this or feature phone. Take your pick.

sly4vic_4

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Both versions are dead! it is better to move to the andriod platform. my windows 10 Mobile finally came to an end by the end of December 2019.
Now there is no Facebook, WhatsApp, Microsoft store. it has reached the end of service life.
you better move to Android.

EFats

May 6, 2018
Visit site
Not quite true. I just received (the last?) OS update 2 days ago.
The Microsoft store is still up and I am still downloading stuff from it, even as of this morning.

Don't care about Facebook so this thing still works fine for me. Much more enjoyable than any of the droids I have.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
For all its warts, and there are too many to mention, it still has one feature that's head and shoulders above the rest and that's Continuum - particularly the wireless variety. From my personal experience, only Huawei's Easy Projection works in wireless desktop mode but it is a lagfest and not really usable.

Other than that, WM10 is good for calls, text and Outlook.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Continuum on 950XL. that's my combo !!
When I was still working, it saved my bacon on so many occassion.

Jeremy Cush

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
For just having a phone for calls windows phone is good enough , thanks to chromebooks there are plenty of web apps to keep you busy if needed

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Which one are you using

WC has just eliminated the Microsoft 950-specific forum (or, at least its former link now diverts here); but, summer is here, and I'm still using a 950, very satisfactorily -thank you, Microsoft. My life is not as phone-centric as others', and I've never been as app-dependent. Most everything I need still works as ever -several tiles are still live, even: Spotify is the only app that abandoned me since the end-of-support. I do have two/three angroids prepped and ready-to-SIM-switch when the fun stops. Do I still recommend it? Absolutely, if you don't depend on unavailable apps. Heck, I even still use a 1020 occasionally for photography, and its tiles are even more alive (I always liked the live People tile(s) more on 8.1).

njstol01

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I was using my 950 up until last month. But I was only getting about 24 hrs on a full charge (even after replacing the battery with a supposedly new oem one), and then when the main camera's focusing went jittery I figured it was time. Good phone for about 2 and 1/2 years!

DUCA NERO

May 22, 2019
Visit site
For me Windows Phone is Always the best ! I have Microsoft 959 XL & NOKIA LUMIA 1520 ! BOTH WITH WINDOWS 10 MOBILE ! STILL TOP TOP TOP !!!;

SlideWRX

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
For just having a phone for calls windows phone is good enough , thanks to chromebooks there are plenty of web apps to keep you busy if needed

I used to use a Starbucks Web app, but it no longer supports our browser apparently. Google maps still works as a PWA, but I dont try to use it for idrections or anything, just traffic info mostly. I don't use social media other than reddit, and I recently downloaded a couple apps for that, although support is lacking; links to GIF websites & such don't seem to work right. I am planning on getting an iphone eventually, when this pandemic/economic collapse stabilizes a bit.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Still using a Lumia 950 Att RM1105. One daughter on a Lumia 650 and other daughter on my Idol 4s. All on Cricket wireless.

Looking for a lumia 950 for my 76 year old mother that will work on T-Mobile. Not sure if my RM1105 will work or if she needs the dual sim version?

Don't ask me how, but some how in trying to take back off of her Lumia 635 on Sprint she tore the screen off!

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Still using a Lumia 950 Att RM1105. One daughter on a Lumia 650 and other daughter on my Idol 4s. All on Cricket wireless.

Looking for a lumia 950 for my 76 year old mother that will work on T-Mobile. Not sure if my RM1105 will work or if she needs the dual sim version?

Don't ask me how, but some how in trying to take back off of her Lumia 635 on Sprint she tore the screen off!

Your RM1105 should work if it is unlocked, or can get att to unlock it: I did that with my first 950 even before I moved to T-Mobile. My still-daily 950 is a dual-SIM RM-1118 (never used the second slot), but I also have an unlocked 1105 that takes my T-Mobile SIM.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
RTGent: Thank you.

I did find a ATT 950 RM1105 that was a store display phone. No USB or charge, no box and battery was swollen. I bought it for $50.00 and it is unlocked with only 3 minutes of talk time on it. Phone still had original Windows 10 software loaded! Who knows how much screen on time? I also picked up what looks like an unused T-Mobile locked Alcatel Idol 4s windows model 6071W for $70.00 shipped. This one had original software also. I think I will give mom that one and keep the Lumia 950 as a spare. I will take the phone to her on Monday and spend the hour at a T-Mobile store to get her changed over from Sprint plan of $30 +Tax about $37.00 to a T-Mobile prepay plan for $15.00+Tax.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Where r u from
Windows 8.1 phone. I am surprised it's still functional

Windows phone 7 still works fine. Butt... As I found out last week when I hard reset an older windows phone 8.1 HTC 8XT on sprint and a Sprint HTC Arrive on windows phone 7 you cannot log in to your Microsoft account. I reading on MS support they finally pulled plug on 7 and 8 last winter about 1st of year 2020. I put a battery in my Nokia 520 today and all my calendar and email synced up and all installed app.s still work. Microsoft really screwed up not working harder to get mass support of Windows phone. I have a few spare phones now and using them until there are no more or you can't call and text..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05