With Windows 10 my computer shuts down, how do I get this to stop?

COLTDC

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
With Windows 10 my computer shuts down

I installed Windows 10 a week ago and now every night my computer shuts off.
How do I get this to stop so I can leave my computer on for some length of time.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Is your completely off or did it just got to sleep and is having issues resuming?

If it's completely off, I'd suspect a driver or hardware issue causing the system to shut down. You can check your system event log to see if you have any critical errors in regards to that. (Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System)

If it's not completely off and is just asleep, you can change your power settings by going to Settings -> System -> Power and Sleep -> Additional Settings -> Change Plan Settings.

If you don't know what's happening, check the event log as described above.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
-disable defender, winsearch, superfetch, and in the new photos app go to settings and remove all folders listed in "sources"

the photos app is the real culprit here, troll ms makes this app scan for photos every time you leave your pc idle, and it will stop in a fraction of a second the moment you touch the computer again, leaving no trace except for the previous task manager readings of 100% cpu-disk usage and 90? C temps if its a laptop sitting in your bed for example, it will trigger a thermal shutdown most of the time, and I don't know who to blame, ms or the OEM, why do OEMs believe shutting down the pc abruptly is a solution for thermal trips? I mean, cant they simply underclock it until it stops overheating? but even then, why doesn't Microsoft realize that they are killing everyone's batteries while doing this, and battery life is a very precious source for most people, are they just trolling us? or they expect everyone to have a nice thin i7+ssd ultrabook that can index the entire disk for photos in a few seconds? I mean even then, my laptop sits in that gold standard but I also have a big HDD full of pictures which obviously put it under serious strain until it overheats and shutdowns unless I leave it sitting on a table and there's air conditioner, AND if it is running on battery it wouldn't surprise me to find my laptop dead hibernating

sb1370

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
it will trigger a thermal shutdown most of the time, and I don't know who to blame, ms or the OEM, why do OEMs believe shutting down the pc abruptly is a solution for thermal trips? I mean, cant they simply underclock it until it stops overheating?
System will throttle down the CPU if its temp increases too much before shutting down.
Check you BIOS settings, is Intel speedstep on ?(if it exists.)

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
System will throttle down the CPU if its temp increases too much before shutting down.
Check you BIOS settings, is Intel speedstep on ?(if it exists.)
its an AMD APU, there's nothing to fix it in that BIOS-UEFI thing apart from clock and boot mode, what I find amusing is HP's implementation here, its a EFI machine but it looks exactly like legacy BIOS just with 720p resolution, it wont throttle enough to contain the heat, and in any case, why cant windows monitor temps and avoid this? I saw this happening with a dinosaur core 2 duo desk without termal paste, the system throttles to 60% cpu default, and any demanding process stays within max temp range

jonsyme

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
computer goes to sleep

If I leave my computer for a moment it goes to sleep. when I try to pickup where I left off in comes back distorted and un legible. have to reboot and lose all my work.

jonsyme

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Computer goes to sleep. when I return to my work the monitor is out of focus and distorted. have to reboot and lose all my work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99