Wobbly Kickstand?

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone else noticed a wobbly kickstand on their surface pro 2017 device. I just bought a 2017 256 GB model today to replace my first gen surface pro. I immediately noticed a wobble on the kickstand at 0-20 and 150-160 degree angles. It's quite pronounced with movements of up to 5 mm. Anything in between the wobble is far less. At 60 degree the wobble is similar to my surface pro first gen device. On other surface pro threads the eperiences are a mixed bag, but it definitely seems common with a few users. It's not clear to me if this is a production flaw or not. When I look more closely at the hinge, it seems that a spring or bearing of some sort seems looser. It's hard to see. Curious to know experinces from others. Is this a common thing. Or is it worth going back to the store for to replace? Has anyone noticed temperature affect the hinge mechanics. Not sure, but a theory in my head as to why possibly.

Thanks.

Ekhangel

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
We have three Surfaces in my family, and they all do that. Maybe the angles change slightly, but I can confirm this to be normal for the series.

nrnw

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
yes, I had that with my SP3 and SP4. I always thought it was just my unit, but I guess not. Marcin's response seems to make sense.

situ_M

Jul 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi,
My new surface pro 2017 has similar wobble. After a week of use I noticed similar wobble, at 0 to 40 ° the wobble is very much visible at around 0.5 cm, at higher angles 60° or 90° it slightly wobbles. I would not say this as a issue as I think maybe it's designed that way to prevent stressing the hinges. It does not affect the usability much. In other forums I have seen users saying that they have seen the same wobble with there Surface pro 4 and 3. I hope this does not get more worse with time. Some other problems which I have seen are:-
1. sometimes while using the on screen keyboard there is a popping sound, it does not happen while playing videos and etc.
2.If you set the screen brightness to darkest and you are in a dark room, you will observe the brightness level
automatically shifting up and down slightly(not flickering).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alec sander