Word Mobile - how do I open files from OneDrive?

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I've installed the Word Mobile app from the Windows Store (https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...p%2Fword-mobile%2F9wzdncrfjb9s&token=D38nNUj9) on my Windows 10 Thinkpad today since both, Word 2007 and LibreOffice, are super blurry when used on my secondary screen (primary is an external 27" 4k at 150% scaling, secondary is laptop's 12.5" 1366x768 screen at 100% scaling). Either way, I've figured out how to open word files from my harddrive with said Word Mobile app but how do I open files from my OneDrive? I have a document in my documents folder in OneDrive that I need to open, and I don't sync OneDrive with this machine, I only keep my stuff online. So I can't use the OneDrive folder on my harddrive, and there's no way to browse my OneDrive from the Word Mobile app. All I have is the recent file list on the left, and a Browse button that takes me to my local harddrive.

I've installed the OneDrive app from the Windows Store as well, but when I try to open a Word document all I get is an error message saying "Couldn't open the file. Sorry, your device doesn't have an app that can open the file. Install an app that can open this type of file and try again."

Any ideas?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I took it for granted that it just worked since I only use word mobile on my phone.

On my SP3, I needed to download the onedrive app from the store. To test I made sure I was online onedrive to create a word document somewhere that I wasn't already syncing with my desktop onedrive.

Then when I open word mobile on sp3, I could click "browse" at the bottom of my recent documents list, then the file browser pops up and again if I scroll down my drives to the very bottom, past the network drives, I see the icon for the one drive app I just installed from the store. I click that and the app opens and I could open the file.

I could make changes on my SP3 and when using word online, I could see the changes and then vice versa. I made changes in both at the same time and there is some delay for it to be sync'd up. It's not very simultaneous. Probably won't be great if there are heavy edits on both online word and from the word mobile app.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Then when I open word mobile on sp3, I could click "browse" at the bottom of my recent documents list, then the file browser pops up and again if I scroll down my drives to the very bottom, past the network drives, I see the icon for the one drive app I just installed from the store. I click that and the app opens and I could open the file.
Holy ...! That was it, thank you! It never occured to me to scroll down the left side of that window. EVER. This is probably the least intuitive way to get this done. Not onliy does it not adhere to any of Microsoft's GUI design guidelines but it opens the OneDrive app within the file open dialog....

Either way, thank you. I would have never figured this out in a million years.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Holy ...! That was it, thank you! It never occured to me to scroll down the left side of that window. EVER. This is probably the least intuitive way to get this done. Not onliy does it not adhere to any of Microsoft's GUI design guidelines but it opens the OneDrive app within the file open dialog....

Either way, thank you. I would have never figured this out in a million years.

I lucked out cause I normally have a big list of quick links, mapped drives lol so I tend to scroll a lot.

Well they are cleaning things up patch by patch, they'll eventually clean it I guess!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro