Working on it... Windows 10 is still working on it for 12 Hours?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I signed up for the Windows 10 free install in June.

Last night 7/30 I received notice that windows 10 has been installed, click here. I did at about 7:30 pm. The working on it window is still working on it at 12:10 pm on 7/31. Now what? Should I cancel? Will it start again? I want to get mine finished before we do my husbands machine.

Windows update still shows Windows7.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I signed up for the Windows 10 free install in June.

Last night 7/30 I received notice that windows 10 has been installed, click here. I did at about 7:30 pm. The working on it window is still working on it at 12:10 pm on 7/31. Now what? Should I cancel? Will it start again? I want to get mine finished before we do my husbands machine.

Windows update still shows Windows7.

Only had one machine successfully upgrade through the Win10 app so far, it failed twice, took my intervention (forced reboot) but I was then able to retry again without issue, I'd assume you'd be able to do the same. The whole process (including OS download) took no more than say 90 min, something definitely seems amiss with your install time so I'd be inclined to start over.

One thing I've noticed with upgrading to W10 over all the Windows versions be for it, it's a crapshoot as to what one will experience during the process, for me its been 6 machines w/the results varying widely, still working on three in hope of succeeding.

Raymond Frenkel

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem on a lenovo X131e Windows 7 laptop. I opened the task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and killed the running app. Then I clicked the Windows 10 icon on the task bar and it re-opened the app and allowed me to continue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss