Worth buying lumia 820 now???????

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I would happily replace my 820 with another 820 if it got nicked but of course the question of buying one depends on the big factor of how much it would cost. I was considering a 920 but much too big for my hand and at the time not available in the UK with my preferred service provider anyway.

Battery life is fine, well over a day under normal use, but I perhaps do take care not to go mad with usage if I am out and about away from a charging point: I have chargers downstairs, upstairs, in the car, in my work bag and in my leisure bag and a portable car jump starter with AUX power sockets useful for camping weekends. So only really need to take care when going out in the wilds for a day trek and make sure it is properly fully charged to start with (ie not just when the phone says it is fully charged) and take my old phone on PAYG as back up.

Perhaps a better question is: Which is the best WM phone currently on the market would you recommend to a happy 820 owner if they needed to replace it for some reason?

If another 820 isn't available for replacement, then a 1020. Still have an AMOLED screen, but you'd lose out on a microSD slot and replaceable battery. You'll have wireless charging capability with a shell. Not as bulky as a 920, as you said it's too big for your hand. One of the best cameras, if not the best, on the market.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
lol u do realize the 822 is a cdma carrier dependent device and certain carrier devices dont get updates easily or at all
as for battery life the 820 has excellent battery life and the 822 has only 150 mah extra of battery , how is it "better" than 820 then? 10 minutes of extra use?

I would advise you to do your research again.
Only the LTE band of the Lumia 822 is CDMA, but the 3G and 2G portion is GSM unlocked.

My carrier only has GSM and I use my 822 with it.

Also, Verizon released the Black update for 822 users.

titoyees

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 822 is the cheapest, best windows phone! I got mine for just $85 and works on GSM. I am not using on cdma. But one friend of mine has it with Cdma and GSM at the same time! Incredible!!!! The only problem is than he can not receive calls from both system at the same time.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I would advise you to do your research again.
Only the LTE band of the Lumia 822 is CDMA, but the 3G and 2G portion is GSM unlocked.

My carrier only has GSM and I use my 822 with it.

Also, Verizon released the Black update for 822 users.

it doesnt matter its not available in every region anyways plus the 810 didnt get black
get ur research right as well ;)
Nokia Lumia 810 and 822 to miss on the Lumia Black update - GSMArena.com news
822 may have got it but carrier only devices are a toss of luck most of the times

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Quite frankly, I don't think the 822 will receive the 8.1 update thru Verizon.

But signing up with the Developer's Preview should fix that. So it's a matter that really has no weight.

And the fact that the 822 comes with double the storage.... 8gb vs 16gb easily makes it the superior variant.
You can install many games and apps in this device.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Quite frankly, I don't think the 822 will receive the 8.1 update thru Verizon.

But signing up with the Developer's Preview should fix that. So it's a matter that really has no weight.

And the fact that the 822 comes with double the storage.... 8gb vs 16gb easily makes it the superior variant.
You can install many games and apps in this device.

but u lose gsm LTE + wp8.1 allows us to install apps to SD :p
im not saying its bad but for me it wouldnt make sense since i live in India where CDMA is not used as such,only for low end devices,LTE is coming soon(released but not yet mainstream) but the bands may not match all lumias

nemov888

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I just bought an 820 for ?65....(though it has a small default with power button) but if you can get one for under ?100....I say go for it. I also have a 925 which is better, but I may sell that., keep the 820 until Nokia 1030 comes out!

klaw24

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
If you can, stretch your budget and get the 920. You should be able to find sweet deals on eBay. As far as the 820 is concerned, I own one and its a great phone. I've had it with me for almost a year now and it's been chugging along nicely without any trouble. It's a bit heavy but I'd say the weight only provides assurance of the robustness of the phone. I accidentally dropped it on my face as I was typing while lying on my bed, and the pain felt by my nose only reinforced my belief in its classic Nokia build quality. ;)

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
If you are willing to consider buying a non-Nokia device, I would like to suggest a Samsung Ativ S. It has the high end specs of the L920 (except no wireless charging) with a larger battery, SD card, larger screen, and can be found around $200 CAD in the internet, which is equivalent to approximately 10k INR I believe... Add a small cost for shipping on top of that if you import one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon