Would Quad core have made any difference?

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
There are already phones in the market that run on Quad core. The new iPhone will also be a quad core. Why did Nokia choose dual core when they were already adding a bigger battery. WP8 may not need it now, but don't you think they would go to quad core in the near future? If yes then why not NOW?

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
There are already phones in the market that run on Quad core. The new iPhone will also be a quad core. Why did Nokia choose dual core when they were already adding a bigger battery. WP8 may not need it now, but don't you think they would go to quad core in the near future? If yes then why not NOW?

Do you even know the technical benefits of a quad core processor on a mobile phone? Don't fall in love with blogger buzzwords. Windows phones have demonstrated that they have plenty of power to run what's there.

Android phones had their push for more cores because of the inherent sluggishness of the operating system.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

You can hardly find desktop applications that take full advantage of quad core processors, there are very few mobile applications that take full advantage of dual cores, let alone quad cores. android and the iphone have had dual cores for over a year, is there anything so far that fully takes advantage of those dual cores? Is there anything in the pipeline that is being developed to take advantage of quad cores? Anything you feel is not possible that justifies quad cores?

Seems "future proofing" by adding quad cores is pointless when there is no evidence that today's dual core technology is being used to its full potential or has reached its limits.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A second core is really useful for allowing the os to do stuff in the background while not effecting your experience.

On an os level, I doubt more cores will make any difference.

Games and heavy weight applications will benefit from more cores but they have to be written to use them.

I doubt there's much on IOS or android that can fully utilise quad core.it'll take ages for that content to get to wp8. So now point in quad core for some time.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes = If the OS supports quad core
No = If the OS does not support quad core
Yes = The OS does not support quad core but apps can be programmed to take advantage of the extra horsepower.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I could see the argument for dual-core, even though the OS runs mighty fast on a single core. The argument would be that a full processor can be used completely for an application or game.

But even good games don't require a quad-core. And I think we're probably at least 3 or 4 years away from that being a requirement for top games on WP.

If one core is running OS functions, then you have a full core that can be dedicated to a game. Then you also have the GPU, which has more an influence on the game's graphics performance than how many cores a processor has.

LawnPaul

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Saving it for Lumia 1000. That's the only reason I can think why they named this phone 920, because they have a plan for later. Just a thought.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
It would be good if nokia made a padfone like device so you could also run winRT when you dock your phone into a tablet or laptop shell. other than that there is really no point. i would rather see development in mobile graphics more than average cpu power. Because new smartphone gpu's over the years have enabled better games, better real world use, less animation lag, faster browsing, etc..

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you even know the technical benefits of a quad core processor on a mobile phone? Don't fall in love with blogger buzzwords. Windows phones have demonstrated that they have plenty of power to run what's there.

Android phones had their push for more cores because of the inherent sluggishness of the operating system.
To your question, my answer is "no". Precisely why I asked.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Fyi there isn't a quad core iPhone coming. Another fyi, lte and quad core doesn't work

Last edited:

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
What does LTE have to do anything with quad core? How do you mean there is compatibility issue?
That is the reason all LTE devices in the U.S. do not have quad-core processors. The new iPad has quad-core GPU and not CPU. The Galaxy S3 devices in Europe have quad-core CPUs, but no LTE.

Maybe it's possible now, but the iPhone to be announced may just have a quad-core GPU like the new iPad.

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
wp8 supports up to 64 cores that whole new shared kernel takes care of that. All lte phones released lately are using the s4 because it's the cheapest and easiest way to go. But their are quad core lte phones on the horizon nvidia should have their t3 ready soon Samsung is releasing the gs3 with lte and their quad core exynos. TI is going straight to a15. And qualcomm is going release the s4 pro in quad core configuration soon. And as far as improvement it has huge increases in video out performance and helps with gaming quite a bit

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Saving it for Lumia 1000. That's the only reason I can think why they named this phone 920, because they have a plan for later. Just a thought.

That's not really how Nokia names it devices. I said this already 3-4 months ago when people where guessing the name to be 1000 or similar.

Nokia's next flagship just might be Lumia 915. It's just the first digit that tells in what category the device belongs when it's released. It was the same in the previous two naming systems (xxxx and the different lettered series with two digits after it).

As far as quad core goes. Will Apple actually release quad core device? I personally think they will just go for the Nvidia style of crap and say the GPU has 120 cores just for marketing, like they did with the new iPad.
In a same time the new iPhone will run around the quad core Androids.

All of the manufacturers seem to be using the same exact SoC (MSM8960) on this first WP8 wave. Thankfully i have no seen complains about the specifications of Lumia 920 and ATIV S, even from places like Engadget as far as the core hw goes.
MSM8960 in the end is very capable SoC that has done great against the likes of quad core Tegra 3. Just like on iPhone the performance this kind of fully optimized SoC for the OS should be big advantage for all of these first wave WP8 devices compared to Android, no matter what they have inside.

Again, people are not complaining about GS3 SoC (in USA it's the same MSM8960 as on WP8). They certainly should not for WP8 that will actually use it to it's fullest.

sholokov

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
wp8 supports up to 64 cores that whole new shared kernel takes care of that. All lte phones released lately are using the s4 because it's the cheapest and easiest way to go. But their are quad core lte phones on the horizon nvidia should have their t3 ready soon Samsung is releasing the gs3 with lte and their quad core exynos. TI is going straight to a15. And qualcomm is going release the s4 pro in quad core configuration soon. And as far as improvement it has huge increases in video out performance and helps with gaming quite a bit
One question though. If LTE has trouble with quad core, then there is no point of all this availability. Plus, if the software is never going to support the extra cores, then there is no point really. Or is there?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
One question though. If LTE has trouble with quad core, then there is no point of all this availability. Plus, if the software is never going to support the extra cores, then there is no point really. Or is there?

It's not that there was trouble with LTE and quad core, it's more so the availability and/or cost to mass produce.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
There is no inherent compatibility issue with lte and quqd core. The reason all of the lte phones are dual core is because Qualcomm's only SoC with integrated LTE is dual core. Samsung and NVIDIA haven't integrated it yet.

I think LG will be releasing a quad core LTE device this summer, using the S4 and a standalone lte modem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss