Would Quad core have made any difference?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. I used my touch pro2 more than a year past the contract expiry because there was nothing in the market that I liked (Till I got the Samsung Focus). I didn't want an Android cause my TP2 had XDAndroid running at 700MHz and I was running Windows Mobile 6.5.1 (Simplicity) at 768 MHz. Phones were just getting into the 1GHz range at the time.

You are a rare case then, every single person I know upgrades at the earliest opportunity they can. I even know people who pay that little bit extra to get the upgrade option 3 months before contract end rather than the usual month

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
You are a rare case then, every single person I know upgrades at the earliest opportunity they can. I even know people who pay that little bit extra to get the upgrade option 3 months before contract end rather than the usual month

I Also used my touch pro two up until Feb of this year. When I got my trophy I got it from a guy on Craigslist so to this day I have an upgrade to use. I agree with you though, this is not normal behavior. Most of my family will get what they can when their contract is up. They only hold on to their device when I let them know something better is coming out if they can just wait a month or two.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There are already phones in the market that run on Quad core. The new iPhone will also be a quad core. Why did Nokia choose dual core when they were already adding a bigger battery. WP8 may not need it now, but don't you think they would go to quad core in the near future? If yes then why not NOW?

The iPhone 5 actually has 3 cores, oddly enough.

They will go to quad core in the future, yes, it is inevitable. That's the direction processors are headed.

Why not now? In part, because there aren't any quad core chipsets that support LTE last time I checked. The US market doesn't even get the quad core Samsung Exynos because of this. Also, it would pointlessly add more cost without bringing any meaningful difference in performance.

You're probably not really going to see a huge difference with the dual-core chips either until people start building Win Pho 8 apps that put them to use. Games will probably be the most notable of those.

iSeeiSheep

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
There are already phones in the market that run on Quad core. The new iPhone will also be a quad core. Why did Nokia choose dual core when they were already adding a bigger battery. WP8 may not need it now, but don't you think they would go to quad core in the near future? If yes then why not NOW?

Additional cores are worthless if your applications aren't using them. Developers need to rewrite their apps each time a new CPU comes out if they want to take full advantage of features/extensions.

All this talk about more CPUs is for people that buy things they don't. What a waste of money...

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 actually has 3 cores, oddly enough.

They will go to quad core in the future, yes, it is inevitable. That's the direction processors are headed.

Why not now? In part, because there aren't any quad core chipsets that support LTE last time I checked. The US market doesn't even get the quad core Samsung Exynos because of this. Also, it would pointlessly add more cost without bringing any meaningful difference in performance.

You're probably not really going to see a huge difference with the dual-core chips either until people start building Win Pho 8 apps that put them to use. Games will probably be the most notable of those.

The iPhone 5 is actually a dual core CPU. But the GPU is triple core.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/25/...d:+weblogsinc/engadgetmobile+(Engadget+Mobile)

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
How does the 920 GPU compare to that?

Edit: Is there a CPU and GPU Comparison of iPhone and Lumia 920 anywhere?

The iphone's GPU will absolutely destroy the Lumia 920's GPU. Its the top dog so it'll destroy the Tegra3 and Mali400 in the Exynos processor also.

Its not all bad though, every dual core Android is using the same Snapdragon S4 as the 920. So they all have the same CPU power and GPU capability (The Adreno 225).

It is however one of the weaker offerings in mobile phone GPUs. The exynos quad (in the samsung galaxy S3 international) and the Tegra 3 (HTC One X international, and One X +) have better GPUs. Its still a respectable performer though. Probably the minimum you'd want to go for those hardcore graphics intensive mobile titles. Its successor (the Adreno 320) is found in the snapdragon S4 Quads, which are only just now coming to market.

The S4 CPU is still one of the best out there though, until the next gen Exynos and Tegra4 come out next year.
This article previews the quad core snapdragon S4, equipped with the newer Adreno 320. It has all sorts of GPUs to compare with.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6112/...agon-s4-apq8064adreno-320-performance-preview

V M Karthick

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
hello sir,
nice to see you here.. i want to buy a smart phone/phablet with good features within a budget of 14000/- INR, kindly suggest me a good one..

with regards,
V.M.Karthick
Chennai,
India

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss