Would you wait for more hardware or get the 1520?

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Coming from the Lumia 900, my contract is finally up and I can get a new phone. Seeing as there is no new hardware coming out besides the Green and Orange 1520 with 8.1 on it, would you suggest getting the current 1520 that is out? My dilemma is that I am afraid that I will get stuck again with a transition phone like I did with the 900. Wanted to get the thoughts of current owners and what they feel the capabilities of the 1520 are. Waiting is always an option if Nokia decides to release more phones this Spring/Summer.

avinash573

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I think 1520 is pretty future proof. I have one and I really like it. I don't see Nokia releasing any dramatically new hardware in the near future. So, I would say 1520 is a safe bet. And it is the best one available on AT&T.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Seeing as most rumors place a new high-end phone at the beginning of next year I would just go for the 1520 :) it has the latest hardware and will only get better with 8.1

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Coming from the Lumia 900, my contract is finally up and I can get a new phone. Seeing as there is no new hardware coming out besides the Green and Orange 1520 with 8.1 on it, would you suggest getting the current 1520 that is out? My dilemma is that I am afraid that I will get stuck again with a transition phone like I did with the 900. Wanted to get the thoughts of current owners and what they feel the capabilities of the 1520 are. Waiting is always an option if Nokia decides to release more phones this Spring/Summer.

the 1520 is a beast, you won't be disappointed

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm right where with what everyone else says. The 1520 isn't going anywhere. Even their new 930, which isn't even for sure being released in the states, has the same Snapdragon 800 processor in it. So while it's smaller with a few upgrades (Dolby Stereo Recording), it's still the same when you get in to the guts and processing power. Plus the 1520 has MicroSD card support.Yes, the phone is large, which was one of my initial turn offs, but now I don't see myself going back to a smaller screen.

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. So the next big questions is waiting for the green and orange ones to come out with 8.1 already on it or just get the current one and wait for the 8.1 update. ahhhh decisions....:grincry:

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been waiting for more hardware for a loooong time. I just want a 5 inch 1520 that is available on ATT. If they make that, ill throw my money at them.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
That's a matter of preference. Red is my favorite color, so I'm rockin the glossy red, but some people don't like the gloss texture. I personally don't mind it. It's also bold and makes a statement.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
My dilemma is that I am afraid that I will get stuck again with a transition phone like I did with the 900.

Not sure what you mean by "stuck" or "transition phone." There is no more advanced phone on the planet than the Lumia 1520. Yes, certain phones have a feature here or a feature there that the 1520 doesn't have and vica versa but the main guts of the thing are second to none. I remember when I got my Lumia 900. People were honestly going to wait 7+ months on contract because they wanted to make sure they could upgrade to Windows Phone 8. Unless I am getting a discount on my contract there is no way I am going to pay at&t money every month on contract for 7+ months while using my old phone.

MrVol84

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm right where with what everyone else says. The 1520 isn't going anywhere. Even their new 930, which isn't even for sure being released in the states, has the same Snapdragon 800 processor in it. So while it's smaller with a few upgrades (Dolby Stereo Recording), it's still the same when you get in to the guts and processing power. Plus the 1520 has MicroSD card support.Yes, the phone is large, which was one of my initial turn offs, but now I don't see myself going back to a smaller screen.

The 1520 and ICON will both be receiving the Dolby stereo recording functionality as well when the Cyan update comes out. So yea.. the 1520 is def a great option still.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat. I just ordered a 1520 from AT&T. I was concerned about the size but I think I can get used to it. I was disappointed that no new flagships were announced for AT&T and I'm guessing it won't be until at least the Fall when one is available. I didn't want to originally install the developer preview of 8.1 on a brand new phone but decided I would take the chance as it unlikely there would be any issues. The 1520 will run WP 8.1 fine and by the time WP 9 comes out I should be ready to upgrade my phone again. I ordered the 32 GB so black was the only option; this was a small disappointment but not a deal breaker but in any case I separately ordered a PMA case and charger off of eBay which is also only available in black. I just can't give up wireless charging after using it on my 920 for a year and a half.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I will see, how WP 8.1 improves the video recording and low light images. Then will decide, whether to go for Lumia 1520 or a 1020 successor. Although Green Lumia 1520 is tempting.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
That's a matter of preference. Red is my favorite color, so I'm rockin the glossy red, but some people don't like the gloss texture. I personally don't mind it. It's also bold and makes a statement.

I love glossy. But no matter how much you take care of it, microscratches will always occur on glossy surface. Thats why I've decided to go for green or orange matt 1520.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I love glossy. But no matter how much you take care of it, microscratches will always occur on glossy surface. Thats why I've decided to go for green or orange matt 1520.

If you like the glossy look but prefer the matte colors, I highly recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G9...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2444834

I took a chance on this and it looks great on my yellow 1520. It really makes it look glossy, fits great, and is reasonably thin. Plus it doesn't have the unnecessary cut-out for the wireless charging pins (ATT version).

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Flagships like this last for years. For Android, there are still a lot who have the Samsung Galaxy S3 even though it is two years old. I am waiting for Microsoft to put quad-core processors to other use.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb