WP 8.1 Bugs and Defects

Marcin Borowski

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Bugs and Defects

Hi!
Today I've found a bug: I can't download mp3 from email in my Outlook. Well I can listen to it, but I cannot save it. I think it's serious!

Smort

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Finally, I won't post a separate thread on this one since I'm guessing it may be the app-developers needing to tweak stuff, but I've had some issues with some apps 1.) after migrating them from my phone to my card, and 2.) after restarting my phone:

1.) After migrating all my apps and games to my card, some apps simply didn't work. Their live tiles went blank and/or black, and when I would "open" them, I'd get a never-ending loading screen with the dots, etc. that I couldn't back out of - I'd have to hit the Windows button to get to the tile screen, so I could then close out the aforementioned app using the "hold the back button and hit the x" method.

I solved this for all affected apps by uninstalling and reinstalling them, and since my settings were set to download new apps to the sd card, they went to where I wanted them and they worked again...

2.) EXCEPT, I just restarted my phone, and at least 2 apps that I can see, Battery and Words With Friends, are back to having the same issues, so I'm guessing I'll need to uninstall and reinstall again.

Again, I'm guessing some of this may be more the apps fault than the phones, but either way, hoping that this thread will be seen by people who can fix these things, I might as well list it here too. At least now after restarting my phone my music info doesn't disappear - thank GOD that's over....

I'm having this same issue. Last week, there were four apps that "went dark" and wouldn't open. Uninstalling and reinstalling brought them back, but a couple of days later, three different apps (and one from the previous batch) did it again.

Yesterday, I hard reset the phone hoping that would fix it, but this morning, again, four apps went dark. I'm wondering if it's something with the SD card, but not sure. I set the phone up fresh and manually re-downloaded just the important apps. The one app that consistently does this is the Enpass password app, which I rely on a lot.

Any ideas? Lumia 1520 with a 64 GB SD card here.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site

I'm having this same issue. Last week, there were four apps that "went dark" and wouldn't open. Uninstalling and reinstalling brought them back, but a couple of days later, three different apps (and one from the previous batch) did it again.

Yesterday, I hard reset the phone hoping that would fix it, but this morning, again, four apps went dark. I'm wondering if it's something with the SD card, but not sure. I set the phone up fresh and manually re-downloaded just the important apps. The one app that consistently does this is the Enpass password app, which I rely on a lot.

Any ideas? Lumia 1520 with a 64 GB SD card here.

I also have a 1520 with a 64gb sd card (this one to be exact - Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s With Adapter, Frustration-Free Packaging - SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A: Electronics), and I've seen some people post that that particular card has been infamous for having issues, including the aforementioned music info issues I mentioned in my op, though that seems to have now been fixed.

Anyway, since my update post, I have had no further app issues, though I have also not turned my phone off and turned it back on.

So, luckily, I do not seem to be experiencing the same "random frequency" with which your apps are doing this, as after the initial migration, only that one restart affected 2 apps. That being said, I can't help be be reminded of similar sounding issues I had when I first got my 1520 and sd card, except it was my music info that would frequently and randomly disappear.

Therefore, with no expertise whatsoever, I will suggest 2 possible "work-arounds" for you and others having this more frequent problem, the first of which helped me originally reduce my music issues to just when the phone was restarted, and the second being what I will do if I encounter any future app blacking out issues, as I've already done #1.

1.) If you search these boards for threads about music info disappearing and/or similar issues, or something like the phone frequently and randomly not working/finding it's att connection, you will eventually come across instructions for taking some sort of tape (duct or double sided, I can't remember) and basically taping your SIM card (not your sd card I don't think - it was one or the other again you need to find these older threads) to the little metal holder thing that slides into your phone, in order to keep it in place and more stable. Whatever it was specifically, I did it last fall, and it got rid of my music issues except for when my phone was restarted.

2.) If/when you can narrow down your apps/games to just "the problem ones", move those specific ones off the sd card and back onto the phone to see if that will help at all.

Hope these help and/or be sure to post what works for you if/when you find some workarounds untill this issue is resolved. Good Luck!

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I think this still exists from 8.1 developer preview:
My 1520 from at&t on cyan randomly heats up when nothing's open - this drains the battery really fast. I've only had cyan for a little more than a day but with 8.1 developer preview this barely ever happened.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Simple Calendar no longer works on my Lumia Icon with GDR1 (pinned tile is set as inactive and nothing happens when pressing it in the start list either). Haven't reinstalled yet to see if that helps but will try that. Other than that, on first glance things seem to be working...

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I have a problem when I am listening to podcasts through my car via an AUX connection. If I get a text message, Cortana chimes in and says "You have received a text message. Read or Ignore." When I am done dealing with Cortana, if I read or ignore, and it goes back to the podcast, the audio comes out of the phone speaker instead of through the car stereo. It's really annoying, and the only way I have found to fix it is to unplug the AUX cable and plug it back in. It isn't a big deal, just sort of bothersome/dangerous when I'm driving. I have also noticed that sometimes, once the audio comes back through the stereo, the audio is weird. It sounds like the people are talking in a bathroom or something. The only way I have found to fix this is to restart the phone.

Sosinondodrore

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Bug found in the new Live Folders. Somehow when i open and close a folder fast the apps dissapears from the folder.. The only way to get them back is a reboot.

wp_ss_20140804_0007.jpg

masshuu

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Since updating last night.
Whatsapp, here maps,ms maps crash in loading, so can't open. I'll go and see what else is broken.
Photos aren't uploading to OneDrive.
If I have to erase my phone and lose data, I'm selling this phone.
NL1020
Edit, evernote, sbb, mix radio cant open. I'm not going through my app list, but my phone is an issue now.

Last edited:

neoxphuse

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Anyone having a camera issue? It's pretty much unusable. Gives a white tint and when taking the picture just gives a black photo.

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Guys I'm am experiencing a peculiar problem since windows phone 8.1 developers preview last update till now(currently on update 1).. The thing is my phone is restarting itself without no reason while I'm in middle of any work nothing specific in particular... Happened almost like 5to6 times.... Any help? And also recently I wiped my sd card clean because the map files which I installed on it were adding themselves after two hard resets on my phone after,. And now my phone is detecting all music and photos as other in storage sense this occurred a week before update 1... I read many forums which stated to hard reset my phone... But I waited till update 1 cause installing it is almost like a hard reset but still it is not solved... Oh and the files are perfectly detected by Xbox music and photos hub.. And I pasted all my files under the folders created by my phone on sd card...i didn't create any on my own.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Am typing this after one of those restarts....L525

neoxphuse

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Anybody who expiencing a white tint on the camera and when you take the photo it goes all white but when you roll back y to camera roll it's just a black picture. Unusable! Please help on the 920.

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

For some reason, when hitting start when in an app, it tries to go back to the home screen but returns to the app or another app

DJWhiteSquall

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Adobe Reader... I only noticed this because AppSocial showed me. I've had it installed for a while, but AppSocial said I didn't have Adobe Reader installed. When I go to install it, it says it is and has the View option instead of Install. Can't find it with Storage Sense or anything, but also can't install it.

bingMe

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

Is anyone having an issue with using the desktop version of YouTube after updating to GDR1? Before, if I set ie11 to desktop, I was able to watch videos on the desktop version of YouTube as if I were on my PC. Now however, I keep getting an error message in the video player box that says "sorry this video is not available for this device", when ie11 is even set to render as a desktop. Before the update I would only get this error message if I had ie set to render as mobile but selected the desktop experience in the YouTube settings. Please help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb