WP-Central / Mobile Nations should do better

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I mostly check this site on my laptop, but today I had to use my Lumia and for a Mobile-centric company Forum, I have to say MN programmers are not good at website design for Mobile.

On the phone the entire display is filled with the self-flagellating picture-links at the top. These are then followed quickly thereafter by tap-able ads. It took me three tries to get the page to scroll down to read anything of the forums. No sooner had I put my finger near the screen and the damned thing leaped off to an ad. Good for revenue but really pissed mo off.

MN-dudes, it is a Mobile Phone Forum and it is the least phone-friendly website I have recently encountered. So much so that I will not bother again for a while. Maybe in a month I will check back and see if anything is better.

I know, I know, who cares if you lose one reader when there are millions who are happy to suffer in silence, - or - maybe new arrivals just never come back and you can't figure out those site-stats.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry that you are having such a bad experience.

Have you tried the Tapatalk app? It works well for the forums and is fast.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
While it does, the mobile site is almost useless. On my 720, I barely get an inch for seeing forum post or an article.

I generally use the app, so it doesn't matter for me.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I mostly check this site on my laptop, but today I had to use my Lumia and for a Mobile-centric company Forum, I have to say MN programmers are not good at website design for Mobile.

On the phone the entire display is filled with the self-flagellating picture-links at the top. These are then followed quickly thereafter by tap-able ads. It took me three tries to get the page to scroll down to read anything of the forums. No sooner had I put my finger near the screen and the damned thing leaped off to an ad. Good for revenue but really pissed mo off.

MN-dudes, it is a Mobile Phone Forum and it is the least phone-friendly website I have recently encountered. So much so that I will not bother again for a while. Maybe in a month I will check back and see if anything is better.

I know, I know, who cares if you lose one reader when there are millions who are happy to suffer in silence, - or - maybe new arrivals just never come back and you can't figure out those site-stats.

We care about every guest and every member.

Out of curiosity... on your mobile are you browsing the full desktop site, or the mobile version?

We're continuing to work on making the experience better and better... of all the browsers IE does seem to give us grief from time to time. So, THANK YOU for your feedback, and thank you for your patience. If you'd like, posting some screenshots of your pain points with the site would be extremely helpful for us!

PiggyMiddle

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity... on your mobile are you browsing the full desktop site, or the mobile version?

The full desktop version. I do not like using specific apps for everything including MN's app, as the "Requires" are almost stupidly onerous requesting access to my, camera, microphone, contacts etc. I see no reason to allow such access just so I can look at a site. I realize you need to make money, but the top of the pages are all links to your internal website stuff. If they were ads I could begrudgingly understand it.

Ahh well, see you in another month.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing your browser cache. We've pushed a number of updates over the past few weeks, and you might need to clear older stuff out of your system.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Just to add I occasionally use the website but mostly use the app, the website is poorly designed from a usability standpoint, lags like mad and as with the other poster almost the moment your finger goes near it you're whisked off to an add. I'm not carping as I love WPCentral but the website is poor compared to most (another bad one lately is the Verge). This is on a Lumia 1020, set for full website access, but you usually serve up a mobile version instead which is another bug bear! Please note I'm adding this from a constructive standpoint, I'll just stick mostly to the app.

df608

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I mainly use the mobile site with my Lumina 920. I find the lag to be terrible! I hate it!. Most of the time I try to scroll and end up on clicking an article or an ad that I didn't intend to click.

I don't care for the app either because images and videos are not displayed within the article or discussion. You have to scroll to the right to view all images and clicking on videos in the same section doesn't work.

I have been disappointed ever since the new update. I like the look with just the top menu bar, nice and simplified but, the site isn't user friendly at all on the mobile.

What I having been doing is following the tweeter feed. If I find something of interest then I will come visit. I'm surprised Daniel hasn't noticed this with all the windows phones he has.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, this site is horrible on your phone, almost as bad as the verge. Almost. That site is ridiculously, stupidly put together. But I almost only use the app for this site and converge for the verge.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazt6h